corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » cycle to work scheme:

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author cycle to work scheme:
csweatherston

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 11 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi.
Im guessing there are a fair few cyclists on here, has anyone used the cycle to work scheme?

How exactly does it work?, as the websites a bit vague.

Obviously your employer needs to regester, then do you get a limit you can spend on a bike (from a authourised shop?)

Or do you buy a bike outright at full price, then get X ammount returned in your tax?

Any advice appreciated.
AlunJ

23rd Nov 11 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a few different schemes running, the one with my work I believe you get £500 to spend, think you get the bike tax free, they give you a voucher for the bike and they take the payments out of your wages, then after the hire period you get to either give the bike back or make the final payment and buy it.
Ste
Premium Member

23rd Nov 11 at 21:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My work does it through Halfords.

Your company needs to register for it first.

You then apply for the money up to £1000. you get a voucher that you buy the bike on, we get 10% extra to spend on accesories.

The money is taken from your pre tax wages.

The bike is essentially 20% cheaper than retail as long as you pay 20% tax of course.

At the end of the 12 months hire period you have the option to buy the bike to keep it yourself or give it back to the company.

hth

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

23rd Nov 11 at 23:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I literaly do these all day everyday at my place. There piss easy to do. Get your company to register then drop me a pm ill sort out sone proper details with you if u want

Our shop is the main dealer in liverpool.

Oh and on a final note fuck halfords. There shite and know nouthing atall about bikes. They shouldnt be alowed to sell then the silly cunts

[Edited on 23-11-2011 by FlaFFy_91]
Simon

23rd Nov 11 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Ste says, the end part about buying the bike back is a tiny cost. When I did mine a while ago it was something like 5% of the RRP so mine cost me about £25. Think that % may have gone up slightly since that
LeeM

24th Nov 11 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Like Ste says, the end part about buying the bike back is a tiny cost. When I did mine a while ago it was something like 5% of the RRP so mine cost me about £25. Think that % may have gone up slightly since that

when i signed up i was told it would be a tiny percentage. however ive just had an email saying if i want to buy it outright it was £85 which is closer to 20%. but i was given the option to hire it for another 3 years at a one of cost of £16. can you guess which one i chose

[Edited on 24-11-2011 by LeeM]
mantamark

24th Nov 11 at 07:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ours is through halfords. I didnt bother as cant buy sale bikes, so i got a last season kona with £250 off and on 0% finance from the shop so worked out better than the c2w scheme.

Dont just assume you're getting a good deal. Plenty good deals around at the minute with the new season stuff coming in.
nathy_87

24th Nov 11 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like its different at different places. I havnet done it personally but work colleuges have. What we do is got a max amount of £1500, think we have dedicated places (as above) go get details of the bike etc hand that over to our Accounts manager, he'll do the deal and we can pay back in monthly installments or as 1 lump sum then at the end once its all paid off its ours, we don't give it back to the company.
Demo

24th Nov 11 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:

when i signed up i was told it would be a tiny percentage. however ive just had an email saying if i want to buy it outright it was £85 which is closer to 20%. but i was given the option to hire it for another 3 years at a one of cost of £16. can you guess which one i chose

they changed the rules back at the start of this year. something to do with hmrc sticking their noses in i think

i had a bike + camelbak + multitool and it was a few quid short of £1000. basically paid just short of £600 back over a year out of my wages. then my final payment was about £75 to keep it on hire for another 3 years.

imo its a great scheme. if you know roughyl what bike you want go and get a magazine from local newsagents and have a nose through all the company ads in there to get a better deal. mine was from a mail order place and i just ordered all the paperwork through them and then sent them the voucher when it turned up

question - does anybody actually use their c2w scheme bike for travelling back and forth from work?
Simon

24th Nov 11 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, everyday

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
Sounds like its different at different places. I havnet done it personally but work colleuges have. What we do is got a max amount of £1500, think we have dedicated places (as above) go get details of the bike etc hand that over to our Accounts manager, he'll do the deal and we can pay back in monthly installments or as 1 lump sum then at the end once its all paid off its ours, we don't give it back to the company.

I don't think anybody actually gives the bike back at the end its just the way the scheme is termed 'Hire Period' is just whilst you are paying it off through your wages
Demo

24th Nov 11 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes rather than being termed something else (forget what now) so that the tax is scrubbed on it
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Nov 11 at 16:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yer you dont have to give it back haha

but why do you all go for bloody halfords?
there shite

i realy cant stress enough how shit halfords are when it comes down to bikes!

just sweaty little kids who dont have a clue how to fix bikes atall, on the advert there standing on the wrong bloody side of the bike to check the gears!, there that bad they cant even get it right on there bloody adverts

sorry for the rant just annoys the hell out of me
LeeM

24th Nov 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Demo
quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
quote:

they changed the rules back at the start of this year. something to do with hmrc sticking their noses in i think

i had a bike + camelbak + multitool and it was a few quid short of £1000. basically paid just short of £600 back over a year out of my wages. then my final payment was about £75 to keep it on hire for another 3 years.

imo its a great scheme. if you know roughyl what bike you want go and get a magazine from local newsagents and have a nose through all the company ads in there to get a better deal. mine was from a mail order place and i just ordered all the paperwork through them and then sent them the voucher when it turned up

question - does anybody actually use their c2w scheme bike for travelling back and forth from work?

i used mine daily, after i got banned from driving didnt use it for work once the first 6 months i had it. but ive just signed up for the further 3 years and it states i still have to use it mainly for work. i dont even have job anymore im at uni
Tom G

24th Nov 11 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87

That is exactly the same thing you retard.
MarkM

24th Nov 11 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
I literaly do these all day everyday at my place. There piss easy to do. Get your company to register then drop me a pm ill sort out sone proper details with you if u want

Our shop is the main dealer in liverpool.

Oh and on a final note fuck halfords. There shite and know nouthing atall about bikes. They shouldnt be alowed to sell then the silly cunts

[Edited on 23-11-2011 by FlaFFy_91]

I like the Boardman bikes Halfords have.
Simon

24th Nov 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boardman bikes are OK. As long as you know about bikes then its ok to buy from places like halfords, its when you don't that buying from those places isn't good
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Nov 11 at 23:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even buying from places like that when you know about bikes is dangerous. There shite. You walk in and half the bikes have the forks on backwards and bars rolled all the way back. They should genuinly be banned from selling bikes. Just stick to selling chavvy car shit haha
Simon

25th Nov 11 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...and that's why if you know about bikes then that sort of thing isn't a problem because you will end up setting the bike up your way anyway. Of course the bikes shouldn't be like that in the first place
AlunJ

25th Nov 11 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy a boardman, but I'd have to get a proper bike shop to check it over

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » cycle to work scheme: 24 database queries in 0.0117381 seconds