corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Boiler Overflow Pipe

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Boiler Overflow Pipe
dannymccann

User status: Offline
26th Nov 11 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've had a spate of copper thefts round our way and the little cunts have nicked my overflow pipe from the cage outside the house. Do I need a gasman to fit another one and can it be replaced with plastic or something else like that? It's a new build so it's one of those little ones right near the bottom of the wall encased by a mesh cage, not really sure how to describe it as it's hidden behind a bush so I've never taken much notice of it!
mattk

26th Nov 11 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has to be copper Im afraid, and should really be visible, id get a new one fitted and paint it black or something, deal with this alot at work
dannymccann

26th Nov 11 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think the old ones were black, matched the gutterings....am I going to find them off the shelf or is it going to need to be measured and can I even fit it myself?

Also, how to stop it going missing again, apart from catching the bastard and chopping his fingers off?

edit - also is it safe to keep using the boiler, obviously its the wrong time of the year for this shit to happen if I cant and I have no idea how long it's been since it was nicked...

[Edited on 26-11-2011 by dannymccann]
mattk

27th Nov 11 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its still ok to use, but id get it done sooner rather than later because its a safety component. its only a piece of pipe angled to the floor, just chop it inside the house and replace the pipe from there.

as for stopping it happening again Im not too sure. copper really is like gold now. Ive had 2 break ins this year for copper pipe. both times they have crawled over very valuble tools and equipment to get to it, honest to god ive now got it buried in my back garden
XE Col
Premium Member

27th Nov 11 at 14:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My overflow pipe is plastic, was a flexi piece of plastic tube that came with the boiler, then goes into a solid piece going outside.

Why do they have to be copper?

Edit : presume this is the one?

[Edited on 27-11-2011 by XE Col]
deanmcreynolds26

27th Nov 11 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats your condensate pipe and not the same thing mate, assuming that goes into a drain pipe outside or into a lime soakaway in the ground outside?

has to be copper as plastic is not designed for the temperature or pressure of a pressure relief pipe,
mattk

27th Nov 11 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah the one danny is reffering to is the pressure relief pipe that when in use will be throwing water at potentialy 80 degrees and at 3.5 bar so it has to be copper

the plastic one is a condensate drain that will probably freeze up in winter and shut your boiler off

its sad but true, I think when you get it replaced you should see about trying to get a steel bit of trunking to screw over it with security screws, just leave it short a few mm`s so you can see the bottom of the pipe

XE Col
Premium Member

27th Nov 11 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So there is 2 pipes that should go outside? I only have that one lol
mattk

27th Nov 11 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have a pressure guage on your boiler, you may well have a gravity fed system in which case you would have just the one. if you have a pressure guage then yes you should have 2
XE Col
Premium Member

27th Nov 11 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes it has a pressure gauge
mattk

28th Nov 11 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

may have one fitted somewhere else in the pipework, if there are no obvious open ends under the boiler.

Danny you could always try using stainless steel pipe if you could get hold of some, or even some Low Carbon Steel, that would be a bit extreme though
dannymccann

4th Dec 11 at 07:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sorry it's taken so long, when I leave the house in the morning and come home at night it's always bloody dark, here is a pic of what they have left behind, not even a stump

What I'm wondering is because the end is sunk into the wall is a plumber going to have to rip the whole thing out from the inside or will it be possible to just attach a length on the end of it? And how much am I roughly looking at? Waiting for a cheque from the vet insurance for £1000 so money is real tight at the minute...
mattk

4th Dec 11 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no way to save that from the outside im afraid, will need to be cut back inside, wont be much, only an hours work

Id leave it like that if it was mine its not dangerous like that, just dont let it get blocked
dannymccann

4th Dec 11 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill stick the cage thing back around it to stop leaves getting at it, cheers

New Poll