corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Few snaps (updated, and opinions on tripod please)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Few snaps (updated, and opinions on tripod please)
Phillips_91

User status: Offline
12th Dec 11 at 01:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i know there's a few photographers on here so thought i'd post these here to get some tips, its my first time using a dslr so was just getting to grips with it, here are the best shots i came up with (deleted loads) i realise non of them are brilliant quality but any tips will be welcomed

C+C welcome

*p.s i'm not trying to be a professional photographer just doing it as a hobby

[Edited on 16-12-2011 by Phillips_91]
Laney

12th Dec 11 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Instead of cranking up the ISO try opening the aperture and slowing down the shutter speed in the dark. You'll need a tripod, but it'll stop your snaps looking grainy.
John

12th Dec 11 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely need a tripod for those night shots, every one of them is blurry and/or grainy.
Phillips_91

12th Dec 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i realise i need a tripod but thats why i had to crank up the iso unfortunately
mattk

12th Dec 11 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Better than my first attempts at night time stuff. get a tripod though, argos do good ones from about £20, best thing you will buy

as said, tripod, f4 ish and about 8 secs this one was

Grande Punto by JTD-Matt, on Flickr
Phillips_91

12th Dec 11 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Better than my first attempts at night time stuff. get a tripod though, argos do good ones from about £20, best thing you will buy

as said, tripod, f4 ish and about 8 secs this one was

Grande Punto by JTD-Matt, on Flickr

Thats a brilliant shot...

is it worth getting the cheapo tripods? everything i've read has said if you buy a cheapo then you'll just be buying again :/
Phillips_91

12th Dec 11 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also would the f number affect the grainyness? (sp) as i had that set at its highest to try and keep the tower in focus aswell as the car? :/
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
12th Dec 11 at 18:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not directly but a high aperture value means the lens is more closed up, which means you need a longer shutter or higher ISO, which means you either get blur or grain.
John

12th Dec 11 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got a cheap tripod and it's done me fine.

Yes if you get serious you may eventually be constrained by your cheapy, for £10 though you can't go wrong.
harrisp

12th Dec 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a good tripod for a little bit more have a look at redsnapper tripods.
mattk

13th Dec 11 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was £20 and Ive had it 5 years. it holds a camera, you can get more expensive ones but they still do the same job.

if you used a High f number (say f20) then the shutter would have been open longer, with no tripod that would mean a super high ISO,

even with a tripod though set and at ISO100 f20 would mean a long shutter that would make the sensor heat up a tad, adding a small amount of grain
Phillips_91

13th Dec 11 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rigggghhhtt i realise my mistakes then now, i had the camera set to F29 and iso at like 6400 will go get myself a cheapo tripod when i get paid then and try again thanks for the tips guys
Matt L

14th Dec 11 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

with regards to the tripod if your going to be using it for long exposures and there is going to be wind aroun then id go for atleast middle of the range.

I had a cheap one admittedly was fine for a year or so but the pictures were never as sharp as they could have been as the tripod would move slightly in wind.
Phillips_91

16th Dec 11 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been practising a little more tonight, had a go at a little post processing aswell, still no tripod, will hopefully be picking this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5693900.htm up tomorrow, opinions?

well here they are

Comments, critism and tips more than welcome
jibjob

16th Dec 11 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not got a clue about photography but i'm liking the pics of the dog! The pic of the flower is good but i would have thought the focus should have been on the centre of the flower and the petals out of focus?
Also a good pic of the cat but seems a bit weird around the shadows behind it

Some good pics though there mate! You're clearly getting to grips with this camera stuff quickly!
Phillips_91

16th Dec 11 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the comments jib

yea realised now that the focus was wrong on the flower, looking all in focus on the camera, was set to autofocus and its obviously set itself to the outside of the flower, the shadows on the cat are where i've done the black and white, acidentally de-saturated the edges of fur, could do with goin back to the original image and re-editing it
Tiger

17th Dec 11 at 11:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a hotshoe extension for off camera flash whilst still using the camera TTL metering.

Work on your focal points, when photographing anything with eyes, make sure the eyes are in focus.

Most lenses produce sharpest images at f8-f11 so if you shoot with the lens wide open you quite possibly lose some sharpness.

Learn to use every mode on the camera inside out.,
Twitch

19th Dec 11 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reminds me of
Phillips_91

19th Dec 11 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Few snaps (updated, and opinions on tripod please) 24 database queries in 0.0126450 seconds