corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Bolts/Thread Size To Mount a LET to Engine Stand

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bolts/Thread Size To Mount a LET to Engine Stand
dragon2309

User status: Offline
   21st Dec 11 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi all, getting a few bits together recently to start a new project in 2012. I've got a sealey 350kg stand, got a couple of questions as i dont have the engine yet.

What thread are the gearbox block mounting holes that i'll be using for the stand plate?

What length bolt will i need to get through the stand palte and into the block enough to be safe?

Will I have to take clutch and/or flywheel off to mount the LET to the stand?

If yes, can i get round it but using some kind of spacer on the stand plate and getting longer bolts to suit?

Think thats all the questions in my head on this right now, lol. Planning to strip the LET down, freshen up the head, new gaskets all round etc.

Cheers, dave.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Dec 11 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M12 x 100 ish, not sure from memory. Can always be cut down if you buy them longer.

Clutch and flywheel, depends on the bracket, should be OK to leave it on.

Spacer, yes so long as it bolts up nice.

[Edited on 21-12-2011 by Ian]
dragon2309

21st Dec 11 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
M12 x 100 ish, not sure from memory. Can always be cut down if you buy them longer.

Clutch and flywheel, depends on the bracket, should be OK to leave it on.

Spacer, yes so long as it bolts up nice.

Thanks ian, just what i wanted to know. It's a Sealey ES350 stand, it's not been delivered yet, but from the pics of it, its got maybe 30-40mm stand off from the back of the plate to where it mates with the block.

Maybe some correct sized steel tubing or a creative use of large washers could space out out more.

Will go source some M12 bolts now.

Thanks
Ste
Premium Member

21st Dec 11 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The way I do it is with M12 x 120 set screws and screw a nut on all the way first. then line up the engine on the stand, screw the set into it till it bottoms out, then tighten the nut to clamp it together. You can't do that with bolts as they aren't threaded all the way up.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
dragon2309

21st Dec 11 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you use that method in order to space the engine away from the stand you mean? pretty smart. Set screws have a long neck on them then? Worth looking into, simple way of spacing it off
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Dec 11 at 23:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Set screw is threaded the whole length, bolt has the shank.

If you work with Ste you need the right words

Learn that

dragon2309

22nd Dec 11 at 01:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, I see. Tbh I'm a bit lost with what ste said, I don't really follow. Think I've got enough info to have a play with a few different bolts (or set screws lol) though.

Thanks for the pic though Ian, helpful lol

Thanks guys.
Ste
Premium Member

22nd Dec 11 at 06:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is what I meant, the nut acts as a shortner for the set screw and means you can vary it's length without cutting it. Just ensure you don't have it too long or you won't be able to spin the engine stand over as they will catch.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.

New Poll