corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spacers...pros and cons

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Spacers...pros and cons
SAL
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jan 12 at 18:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thinking about spacers for my astra, not so much for looks but at a guess if the wheels are say 10mm wider each side it would handle slightly better?

Talk to me
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not necessarily, you need to consider wheel offsets and then maybe work out how it affects your scrub radius wether it will become negative or positive, which is the angle of your suspension struts in relation with center of wheel contact point

fitting spacers can make your car understeery and affect things like return to center steering wheel feel
big eck

8th Jan 12 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It all depends on how far your wheels sit inside the arches just now. When I fitted 20mm spacers on my old Ibiza it improved the handling massively.
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same, i considered my wheel offset which is lower then standard and with the spacing gave me slightly positive scrub, which makes the steering a little more effort but feel nicer and obviously you get the slightly added grip with the extra width

however on the standard offset wheels the same spacers gave negative scrub and the steering felt awful, understeery and steering wheel return to center was poor
alan-g-w

8th Jan 12 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Reducing the rear track actually improves the handling as per the clio 200

Think about the rear wheels as a pivot point - the closer together they are, the easier it is for them to 'follow' the front wheels
Steve
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 19:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant make a blanket statement like that, might work on some cars, but others it might not, totally depends on suspension setup really

Puma benefits from rear axle spacers as per the FRP for example
SAL
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would guess my wheels are slightly lower offset than standard. Was think 16mm each side which Eibach make

Steve
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really the only way is to try and see what happens.

failing that unless you start working out suspension angles etc you arent going to know before buying them and trying..

unless someone else has already tried the same setup etc
SAL
Premium Member

8th Jan 12 at 19:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All the van owners who do regular track days have all fitted them, only diffrence is they all have KW coilovers and I have fixed spring/damper set-up

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Spacers...pros and cons 23 database queries in 0.0109670 seconds