corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sky TV to enable customers to use iPhones and iPads as remote controls

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sky TV to enable customers to use iPhones and iPads as remote controls
Robbo

User status: Offline
   10th Jan 12 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky television customers who own iPhones and iPads will soon be able to use their Apple devices as a remote control.

The satellite broadcaster has struck a deal with Zeebox - a company which produces an app combining live programme information, real-time viewing figures and social networking - taking a 10 per cent share.

Zeebox's functionality will be integrated into Sky's own applications including Sky+ and Sky Go.

This will allow Sky users to access their Sky+ box on the move and use their iPhone or iPad as a remote control for their Sky box.

Mazin!

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sky-tv-to-enable-customers-to-use-iphones-and-ipads-as-remote-controls-6287326.html
ed

10th Jan 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I imagine they will charge a fortune for using it and it will be as shit as all their other IT systems.
John

10th Jan 12 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is well overdue.

I'll probably just use the remote anyway.
Nismo

10th Jan 12 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

remote will be a gimmick! end of the day you can use a tv remote without looking at the buttons, wouldnt be possible with the iphone the same as texting without looking at the phone.
Munchie

10th Jan 12 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prob have to connect to wifi/internet though?

My iphone connects to my samsung TV
Dave

10th Jan 12 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are you going to be able to watch stuff you have stored on the Sky+ box on your phone?
Gary
Premium Member

10th Jan 12 at 12:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
remote will be a gimmick! end of the day you can use a tv remote without looking at the buttons, wouldnt be possible with the iphone the same as texting without looking at the phone.

Correct, i have the XBMC remote on my phone. Only ever use it to input text when searhcing for a film as i cant feel what im pressing
John

10th Jan 12 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks like it's more about advertising and selling you stuff than the remote control.
ed

10th Jan 12 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't sound like something Sky would do?
John

10th Jan 12 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sam
Premium Member

10th Jan 12 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I already use the Sky+ app to remotely record programmes in advance for me even though I'm not at home, and it has a TV guide on it too.

I also have a Samsung Remote app to control the volume and settings on the TV (not that I really use that particular app as when I'm at home I'll use either the TV remote or the Sky+ remote).

Nothing worth writing home about IMO.
Dave

10th Jan 12 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I thought, it doesn't seem to say what control you have over the Sky+ box though.

Serious question, in what way is using your phone ever going to be better than just using the actual remote?
Sam
Premium Member

10th Jan 12 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For prank purposes I guess (i.e. fucking about with the volume while leaving your family members wondering if your living room has a ghost in it).

Seriously though, I guess it's to cut down for the need to have loads of different remotes for various devices.

New Poll