corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT'ing a car that is SORN

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author MOT'ing a car that is SORN
Jamie-C

User status: Offline
27th Jan 12 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to be insuring the Corsa in a week or 2 and then putting it for an MOT. Its currently SORN and obviously I can't tax it until it is put through an MOT test. Can I drive it to the MOT station legally while it is currently SORN'd? Or do I have to notify the DVLA first?
shaunmods
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah as long as its insured you can drive it there
Sean

27th Jan 12 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't the garage come collect it? We just collected an Alfa Romeo that hasn't been on the road for 6 years, no problem getting an mot on a sornd car

[Edited on 27-01-2012 by Sean]
Jamie-C

27th Jan 12 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I doubt it tbh Sean, I haven't even been in contact with the garage, plus I'd rather drive it there, get it nice and hot

Cheers Shaun, all I needed to know
DansCorsaSXi
Organiser: Yorkshire
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your going to drive it? Have you ever driven it? Gonna be awesome!

Star silver C20XE SXi Project thread

Smoke Grey Corsa GSi Project thread
Jamie-C

27th Jan 12 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I drove it about 30 miles home when I bought it, was only a 1.0 then though Going to feel like a rocket ship compared to the Quasqai
DansCorsaSXi
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 23:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dam right it will,excited for ya dude.

You sure it's ok to drive? Everything ok with it all?

Jamie-C

27th Jan 12 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope so

Nah should be reet, everything was done properly so shouldn't be anything wrong, but I'll soon find out when I tank it down the M1 , just need a battery and a patch welded in the wheel arch and shes all ready for MOT.

Mid Feburary is the goal!
DansCorsaSXi
Premium Member

27th Jan 12 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't wait!

Anyways good luck with getting there safely.

Andy Stocker

27th Jan 12 at 23:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think you have to be booked in with the garage you're going to. So if you get stopped the Police can contact the garage and they can confirm name, car reg etc to prove you were on your way there
Jamie-C

27th Jan 12 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah it will be booked in anyway. Another thing, I need to drive it down to work so I can weld a patch into the rear wheel arch, can I drive it there before MOT legally? Or do I have to wait until it fails and then take it to the garage?
Adster

28th Jan 12 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im wondering the same thing actually. Mines currently sorn'd and uninsured while its off the road for engine work.

Can i take it to the MOT on my dads traders policy? im on their insurance as i work for his company but can you take it on traders? (i.e trade plates in the car)
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

28th Jan 12 at 14:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so with it being sorn'd you can still drive it to the mot garage? Aslong as its booked in?
corsajay88

28th Jan 12 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes. You can also drive it to another garage for repairs in order for it to pass the mot, it may have to fail first then you have proof, id do this, retest is free anyway. I drove mine sorn'ed to mot station then back home, then back to mot. As said as long as its insured, make sure its actually booked in for a specific time under your name, coppers will check if they pull you.
Eck
Premium Member

28th Jan 12 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/UntaxedVehicle/DG_069727

Fifth bullet point down:

quote:
Driving to an MOT test when a SORN is in place

You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for that vehicle.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » MOT'ing a car that is SORN 24 database queries in 0.0118520 seconds