corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mech eng people - bolt shear calculations

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mech eng people - bolt shear calculations
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
13th Mar 12 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Four bolts go through the rear beam, through the spacer and in to a thread in the drum.

If I know the spec of the OE bolt, is there a way of working out what would be required if the spacer gets bigger?

As I understanding it the shear loading will increase as the spacer gets larger so if the OE is M12x55 10.9 at what point would you need to go higher tensile?

Also is there a limit to what the thread in the drum can sustain?

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by Ian]
alan-g-w

13th Mar 12 at 13:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No sort of calculations or anything needed here tbh Ian, if the OE bolts are 12x55 and the spacer's 20mm thick simply stick in 12x75s. No need for higher tensile bolts or anything, the FOS will mean you'd probably be able to use 3 bolts and not notice a difference
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 12 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its for going even bigger, there's a guy making 30mm and 40mm spacers and I wondered at what point they would exceed the current tensile spec.
Steve
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think its safe tbh, think of the twisting force it also transfers to the beam mounting
Steve
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

30mm probs ok, but 40mm+ can see it being dodgy
craig-dodd

13th Mar 12 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cap head bolts are 12.9 grade if you wish to have stronger bolts
alan-g-w

13th Mar 12 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i dont think its safe tbh, think of the twisting force it also transfers to the beam mounting

The bit they attach to is stationary at all times, no twisting forces exerted. Plus it's not a driven wherl so there would be no twisting forces on the hub at all, even when the car's moving, because that's what the bearing is for.

Edit to say, apologies, you might get twisting foces exerted on the hub when you're braking but with four 12mm bolts holding it on they'd be negligible.

To give you an idea of what an M12 thread can withstand Ian, we have M12 stainless eyebolts in the work. They're probably about 3/8" thick on the ring with about a 30mm thread sticking out - screwed in fully, one eyebolt can lift something like 300kg. We've got forged ones that are stronger but basically it demonstrates the actual strength in what looks like a small bolt.

Definetely wouldn't hurt to change them to cap heads as suggested as long as it doesn't pose any sort of clearance issues

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by alan-g-w]
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 12 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the advantage with cap head? Just that they're 12.9 not 10.9?
Steve
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 18:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i mean vertical leverage type twisting force

|-D will apply less vertical leverage than |---D

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by Steve]
Tiger

13th Mar 12 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks like a PAT test 'pass' sticker on that shock
alan-g-w

13th Mar 12 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian, I'm not entirely certain on the ins and outs of it but my understanding is that the higher the number, the better the quality of material - you can torque them tighter than you would with normal bolts, they'll take more force to fail and in general are a good idea - but you've got to remember that they're only as good as the material they're going into.
alan-g-w

13th Mar 12 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i mean vertical leverage type twisting force

|-D will apply less vertical leverage than |---D

[Edited on 13-03-2012 by Steve]

I'd say that's more of a bending force
Steve
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah bending is probably a better choice of words
Gary
Premium Member

13th Mar 12 at 19:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will be fine. As alan said, the FOS will be pretty high so no need to worry.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Mech eng people - bolt shear calculations 23 database queries in 0.0171521 seconds