corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » N/s driveshaft too long in xe Corsa....

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author N/s driveshaft too long in xe Corsa....
Vauxdan88

User status: Offline
19th Mar 12 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the xe in and managed to build up the drivers side shaft/brakes etc,now onto the passenger side and of course shafts too long,I'm using 2.0 big block shafts and conversion hubs,how do I get around this?
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Mar 12 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you mean too long? The driveshafts have two grooves so you can move into the CV joint a bit more, or do you mean the shaft that stick out of the hub is too long?
Vauxdan88

19th Mar 12 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well i put it in the gearbox then fit the hub and knuckle on the bottom ball joint and onto the shaft,then as soon as I put the track rod end in it only fits with the hub turned a bit. I've heard of people having to get new grooves in the shaft so it can go in the box further???
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Mar 12 at 21:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are the inner cv's all the way into the gearbox?
Vauxdan88

19th Mar 12 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah mate
Vauxdan88

19th Mar 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm looking everywhere online trying to find info as I could really do with getting it sorted tomorrow. I've found another guide Somewere which says the shaft needs to be shortened to 340mm???
Tony M84

19th Mar 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vauxdan88
I'm looking everywhere online trying to find info as I could really do with getting it sorted tomorrow. I've found another guide Somewere which says the shaft needs to be shortened to 340mm???

Have you got the original small block shafts to use as a reference?
Vauxdan88

20th Mar 12 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I've still got them. Will overall length of the 2.0 have to be the same as the 1.4 shaft?
fazza

20th Mar 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes mate, it should just be thicker
Vauxdan88

20th Mar 12 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So have literally got to get a bit cut off the end of the shaft? Off which end? And what about cvs?
fazza

20th Mar 12 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you taken the cv joint off and had a look?

like corsadonk said there are 2 grooves for the joint to sit in
Vauxdan88

20th Mar 12 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I havnt taken it off. Take we're on about the inner one yeah? So if I take the cv off il be able to see the other groove,I just put the circlip into that 2nd groove and put the cv back on,then it'll be 'shorter'?
vauxhead

20th Mar 12 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
No I havnt taken it off. Take we're on about the inner one yeah? So if I take the cv off il be able to see the other groove,I just put the circlip into that 2nd groove and put the cv back on,then it'll be 'shorter'?

No mate, the shafts only have one groove, you have to cut another groove further along:

Vauxdan88

21st Mar 12 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I noticed that when I took the cv off today. Is that pic a standard 2.0 shaft that you've made the new groove in? The new grooves the one to the left in the pic isn't it? Did you do it yourself? How far over is that new groove? Do I cut the groove,put the clip in then the cv will go on further and sort out the problem of it being too long? Sorry for all questions,just want to know exactly what I'm doing before I starting cutting up my driveshaft! Or getting someone else to do it for that matter! Lol
fazza

21st Mar 12 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive never heard of cutting more grooves into a shaft
vauxhead

21st Mar 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yeah I noticed that when I took the cv off today. Is that pic a standard 2.0 shaft that you've made the new groove in? The new grooves the one to the left in the pic isn't it? Did you do it yourself? How far over is that new groove? Do I cut the groove,put the clip in then the cv will go on further and sort out the problem of it being too long? Sorry for all questions,just want to know exactly what I'm doing before I starting cutting up my driveshaft! Or getting someone else to do it for that matter! Lol

Yeh standard 2.0 shaft that Ive cut the new groove on the left in to, its about 6 or 7mm over from the standard groove.

Used a 3" air cut off tool as the disc was virtually the same width as the existing groove.

Yep cut a new groove, put circlip on the shaft and it will slide further into the cv making the overall length shorter.

I did it to both ends to make sure it was short enough. Just make sure you dont cut the groove too deep!

[Edited on 21-03-2012 by vauxhead]
Vauxdan88

21st Mar 12 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok mate cheers

New Poll