corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Becoming a solicitor...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Becoming a solicitor...
Black__306

User status: Offline
7th Jul 03 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of training or background do you need to apply for jobs as a solicitor? Just thinking about what career i want to pursue at the moment. Cheers
MarkM

7th Jul 03 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am doing my Law degree at the moment...normally its 3 years study at uni full-time then 2 years doing your articles...5 years is a long time but well worth it when u consider the money u will be on for the rest of your life!!

MarkM

7th Jul 03 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes if your a trainee and chose the vocational route....i.e work and get trained at same time...takes ages and as AK said money is crap...your better off doing the 5 years study then entering as a fully qualified solicitor!
Phil321

7th Jul 03 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of the starting salaries if you have a good Law degree are very good. I was looking through a career guide and with a decent firm, at least a 2.1 in any degree discipline and 26 UCAS points, starting salaries were like £28k raising to £48k post qualification. Also, most firms are not interested in the degree which you did (ie no need to do law), they are interested only in A levels, where you did your degree and how you did.
MarkM

7th Jul 03 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes but you need to complete your articles to be a solicitor...

as I said also the money can be good! and normally is!
Phil321

7th Jul 03 at 09:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where are you doing your degree matey? You enjoying it?
MarkM

7th Jul 03 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Liverpool Uni...its seriously hard work mate...you have to put a lot of hours in and it can be pretty boring at times...

Phil321

7th Jul 03 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My best friend just finished his first yr Law at Cambridge and he had to work everyday. I didn't even look at a book until a week before my exams. Get the results this afternoon
MarkM

7th Jul 03 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so u doing law mate?

no matter where u do law its gonna be hard theres lot reading...
Phil321

7th Jul 03 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No mate, I'm doing BA(Hons) Economics at the University of Manchester. Just finished my second year and applying to do a Masters at UMIST because the whole student life thing is too much fun!

Thats what put me off Law, all the reading. Mine is just a lot of numbers, so you can either do it or ya can't. Means I don't have to spend hours a day reading and stuff Might still go into Law yet, but for now I just want to be a student for as long as poss!
Black__306

7th Jul 03 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Phil321
Some of the starting salaries if you have a good Law degree are very good. I was looking through a career guide and with a decent firm, at least a 2.1 in any degree discipline and 26 UCAS points, starting salaries were like £28k raising to £48k post qualification. Also, most firms are not interested in the degree which you did (ie no need to do law), they are interested only in A levels, where you did your degree and how you did.

I see, cos im doing a degree in computer science, its proper boring!! I guess some of these firms may offer training as long as you come out with a good mark on your degree?
I wish i had done more work on my A-levels now doh lol!
Daimo B

7th Jul 03 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'VE WORKED WITH SOLICITORS (Fuckin caps) for about 3 years. Mostly arrogent and moody an 95% have 0% common sense. Money can be good, but not really till ur in your late late 20's. Expect to be on a pants wage while your a trainee.

Trainees also get the really shit work, all the reading etc.

Its a good job to get into, but sod all the training you have to go thru to get there. U need at least 5-8 years learning, training, poor wages etc until u become a proper fully fledged decent solicitor.

OF course i could be wrong, but im just talking from all the people i've talked to in 3 different law firms.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Jul 03 at 11:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its worth going to an Ivy League university as well if u want a 1/2 decent job - my moms a solicitor and she began her degree at Staffs, but did the final 2 years at Nottingham uni - most of the people who went to Staffs uni ended up with mediocre jobs for mediocre firms, some didnt get employed at all

the proffession is very clicky and as such u have to have been to one of the elite uni's to secure a top job - 90% of the time

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Becoming a solicitor... 23 database queries in 0.0143640 seconds