corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » work - asking for more money with an offer on the table

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author work - asking for more money with an offer on the table
emicen

User status: Offline
25th Apr 12 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never realised this place was so full of ballers. 300 quid a month, extra cash in pocket, piffling

From the sounds of it Adam, I'd go for it. More money plus removes the feeling of staleness, win win.
whitter45

25th Apr 12 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends how much 6k means to you - i.e gets to a point were its the job, opportunities etc that will have a bigger barring than money

If its right in terms of opportunity and fits in with your long term career goals then do it

If its short term of additional cash (which I don't think it is in your case) then don't do it as the novelty of extra cash wears thin after a few months and you will end up looking for new work anyway

I have had a few job offers ranging from 6k - 10k more but they don't fit with what I want to do long term
Tiger

25th Apr 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd cut throats for a £1200 a year rise let alone £6k, out of my income I have about £100 left a month to spend on myself....

No pay rise now for about 5 years.
AK

25th Apr 12 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work to earn money......
so getting more money is always a big factor in my career choice.

I dont work to earn more work.

I need to work to do the things I like.

The job is essentially the same (for a larger company).....

Also the 6k isnt really over a year.... its an estimation based on a 'day rate' thats about £35 more a day.

stuartmitchell

25th Apr 12 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is with counter offers AK is that you have to wonder where this increase is coming from if they do offer more money? For example:

- They give you an extra 10K now and then your on the same salary for the next 5 years becuase in there eyes they have already given you a raise?

- When it comes to promoting someone will they choose the guy that tried to leave or the guy who has been loyally by there side the whole time?

- The other company who offered you the new job will most likely be quite miffed if they have gone away - increased the salary at your request only to be used as a bargaining chip with your present employer - you dont want to burn your bridges especially if there are only 2 companies that you can really work for?

- Also, you mention the work at your current gaff being a bit mundane, no matter how much ££ they throw at you that will still remain and I suspect thats prompted you to apply for a new job in the first place.

Risky business accepting a counter offer mate. If I were you, I'd change companies, if you dont like it then leave your current employer on good terms and I imagine a door would be left open for you.

Just my 2p's worth mate!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

25th Apr 12 at 13:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the big internet guns came out after that comment eh
stuartmitchell

25th Apr 12 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Daimo B

25th Apr 12 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Train me up, i'll do your current
You move on, take the money, we can swap at a later date.

tbh, its more about what you want, opposed to the money. Between you 2 im sure the wage is good, so its more about job satisfaction. If you've worked at the old place before, would you get bored quickly?
corsajay88

25th Apr 12 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I'd cut throats for a £1200 a year rise let alone £6k, out of my income I have about £100 left a month to spend on myself....

No pay rise now for about 5 years.

same, taken overtime rate off as well so lost about 5k a year on top. about a fifth of my wage
AK

25th Apr 12 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell
The thing is with counter offers AK is that you have to wonder where this increase is coming from if they do offer more money? For example:

- They give you an extra 10K now and then your on the same salary for the next 5 years becuase in there eyes they have already given you a raise?

- When it comes to promoting someone will they choose the guy that tried to leave or the guy who has been loyally by there side the whole time?

- The other company who offered you the new job will most likely be quite miffed if they have gone away - increased the salary at your request only to be used as a bargaining chip with your present employer - you dont want to burn your bridges especially if there are only 2 companies that you can really work for?

- Also, you mention the work at your current gaff being a bit mundane, no matter how much ££ they throw at you that will still remain and I suspect thats prompted you to apply for a new job in the first place.

Risky business accepting a counter offer mate. If I were you, I'd change companies, if you dont like it then leave your current employer on good terms and I imagine a door would be left open for you.

Just my 2p's worth mate!

there is no official offer as yet.... it was simply a ballpark figure over the phone that I said would need to be more. So any offer is their first offer.

I'm not playing one against the other.... I have what i'd class as friends at both companies! I'm simply looking out for no1.

I didnt say the work was mundane either - just a feeling that the company/work was a bit stagnent. Hard to describe but sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes its just 'work' and a chore. What job isnt though? Little things are annoying me more.... I dont think the company is somtimes going in the right direction either.

Things that are annoying me.... no training, last 3 years have had crap wage rises (but ok bonuses). I have to work my ass off during the months I'd rather be at home. My work is 'supposed' to be 50/50 like 4 on 4 off but last summer I did something like 150 days in 7 months. It should be 180days in 12months!!! So away 70% of the summer!

ARGHHHHHH... i dunno.
Colin

25th Apr 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jack it in & get a job as a lollipop man outside a 6th form girls comprehensive school.

Job satisfaction is king
stuartmitchell

25th Apr 12 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
quote:
Originally posted by stuartmitchell

Just my 2p's worth mate!

there is no official offer as yet.... it was simply a ballpark figure over the phone that I said would need to be more. So any offer is their first offer.

I'm not playing one against the other.... I have what i'd class as friends at both companies! I'm simply looking out for no1.

I didnt say the work was mundane either - just a feeling that the company/work was a bit stagnent. Hard to describe but sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes its just 'work' and a chore. What job isnt though? Little things are annoying me more.... I dont think the company is somtimes going in the right direction either.

Things that are annoying me.... no training, last 3 years have had crap wage rises (but ok bonuses). I have to work my ass off during the months I'd rather be at home. My work is 'supposed' to be 50/50 like 4 on 4 off but last summer I did something like 150 days in 7 months. It should be 180days in 12months!!! So away 70% of the summer!

ARGHHHHHH... i dunno.

From the other companies point of view mate, they had a figure in mind of a 6k increase so it may not be the first offer to you but it is the first offer they had in mind.

I understnad your looking out for number one but if your considering a counter offer then you are in fact playing one against the other. Especially if you consider taking the new companies offer to your existing employer and saying - BEAT THAT or i'm outta here? I guarantee that is how the new company will see it mate.

Sorry I meant Stagnent and your right to a certian extent all jobs are like that but it seems your current company are taking the piss a bit with the days away.

If the new company can guarantee the equal rotation and training I would make the move

Good luck anyway mate
AK

8th May 12 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok.... made a desicion after a frantic couple of days of offers and negotiation.

Company B (the one i'd be moving too) offered a fecking good package after saying the intial one was unacceptable, increased day rate (14% raise), sign on bonus, 2nd year bonus, 10% yearly bonus and 7% pension contrib.

I would have accepted that but gave Company A a chance. They have offered a better wage package that offsets the bonuses etc

They also said they woud address my issues raised.
James

8th May 12 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sign-on bonuses are over rated anyway. I got quite a decent one at my current company but I've just quit and have to pay it back now
Jamescorsa97

8th May 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You must earn way too much money

All in all you work to you can have fun when your not at work. try and get as much money as you can.

People who don't like their life, make work their life. Which I am sure is not your case
Matt H

8th May 12 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Adam.... it's the Aberdeen merry go round. Get it done!

From what I've seen/heard it doesn't really pay to be loyal. And everyone is doing it, providing you part on good terms I don't see you upsetting anyone long term

Plus it's not like its a family company or anything like that

[Edited on 08-05-2012 by Matt H]
gavin18787
Premium Member

8th May 12 at 19:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just handed my notice in last time and waited for my boss to call. Worked

Bit risky though but then I would have been happy with my other job offer. Glad it worked out though as I really like where I am and know everyone

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
AK

8th May 12 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup.... sometimes it seems the only way to get what you deserve is to highlight that they could lose you.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » work - asking for more money with an offer on the table 24 database queries in 0.0154760 seconds