corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2005 Vectra Sri 2.2 petrol - your thoughts please?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 2005 Vectra Sri 2.2 petrol - your thoughts please?
gtitim

User status: Offline
9th May 12 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Due to an unforeseen writeoff - wife to blame, we have to buy another car.

I have seen a 2005 (05) Vectra 2.2 Direct i (petrol) for £1850 with full MOT for £1850.

Blurb reads:

2005 (05 reg)Hatchback99,789 milesManual2.2LPetrol5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 99,789 miles, Metallic Silver, MOT-05-2013, 3 Owners. LOVELY LOOKING CAR COMPLETE WITH A FULL MOT AND FULL SERVICE HISTORY, VERY GOOD SPEC INCLUDING SAT NAV, ALLOYS AND MUCH MORE . DRIVES AS NEW CSAN ONLY SAY 1ST TO SEE AND DRIVE WILL BUY AT THIS MONEY, ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Cruise control, Front armrest, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Navigation system, Passenger airbag, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Side airbags, Traction control, Alarm, PAS, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Electric door mirrors, Rear wiper, Front fog lights, Service indicator, Heated door mirrors, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Audio remote control, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Isofix child seat anchor points, Cloth seat trim, Solid Paint, Trip computer, Space saver spare wheel. Insurance Group:9, £1,850

In silver.

Looks clean.

Any common faults to look for, things to check etc. Does the price seem right? What should I be offering etc etc. Unfortunately we need a car asap, and dont really have more than £2k to spend, so this seems to fit the bill to replace a 2002 Laguna.
gtitim

9th May 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dealer also has this Clio 172 :

2002 (02 reg)Hatchback99,789 milesManual2.0LPetrol3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 99,789 miles, Metallic Silver. THIS IS A VERY CLEAN AND GENUINE CAR THAT CAN ONLY BE AS BEEN IN TOP CONDITION THROUGHOUT, VERY VERY WELL MAINTAINED, COMES WITH ALL HANDBOOKS AND WALLET, FULL MOT NO FAULTS, CAN ONLY SAY 1 ST TO SEE WILL BUY LOOKING LIKE THIS ABS, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Electric sunroof, Folding rear seats, Lumbar support, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Radio/Cassette, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Alarm, PAS, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Electric door mirrors, Rear wiper, Remote central locking, Front fog lights, Heated door mirrors, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Audio remote control, Steering wheel rake adjustment, Isofix child seat anchor points, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Height adjustable drivers seat, Trip computer. Insurance Group:9, £1,690

and this Golf Gti:

2001 (X reg)Hatchback99,789 milesManual1.8LPetrol3 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 99,789 miles, Metallic OCEANIC GREEN PEARL, MOT-04-2013. GREAT LOOKING GOLF GTI WITH 18INCH AUDI RS6 ALLOY WHEELS STAINLESS STEEL COLD AIR INDUCTION KIT AND A FORGE RECIRCULATING WASTE GATE SOUNDS GREAT AND KEEPS BOOST UP INSTEAD OF LETTING IT GO PULLS VERY WELL BLOOTOOTH SONY RADIO CD CONECTS TO YOUR PHONE IPOD ETC REMOTE LOCKING COMES WITH ALL HAND BOOKS AND FULL SERVICE HISTORY GREAT CAR IN DAILY USE ABS, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Central locking, Folding rear seats, Immobiliser, Passenger airbag, Radio/Cassette, Radio/CD, Rear headrests, Sports seats, Side airbags, Traction control, Alarm, PAS, Steering wheel reach adjustment, Front electric windows, Front head restraints, Electric door mirrors, Rear wiper, Front fog lights, Service indicator, Heated door mirrors, Body coloured bumpers, Drivers airbag, Steering wheel rake adjustment, 3x3 point rear seat belts, Height adjustable drivers seat, Trip computer, Full size spare wheel. Insurance Group:14, £1,790

Any thoughts which will be a decent drive / value for money / reliable etc
BarnshaW

9th May 12 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was there not something to do with timing chain and fuel pump on these? my friend has a vectra with the 2.2 petrol engine and its been reliable as anything, pretty nippy aswell, cant moan at that price really.
Sunz

9th May 12 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So they all have 99,789 miles ?

I personally wouldn't touch the 2.2, MPG would be terrible and if your on a 2k - budget you don't want to be spending out loads on fuel as well.
Read some people getting 20-25mpg with the 2.2 around town.

I would go for the Clio 172, they drive well, gokart feeling about them, you do get a decent amount of power and spec for the money and not heard any horror stories about their reliability.

Golf Gti I have never driven, wouldn't expect it to feel that quick or come close to the Clios handling.

What about a diesel ? You could get some pretty decent for £2k.

Maybe a dCi Laguna ? would get decent performance/MPG with the 1.9 dCi.

[Edited on 09-05-2012 by Sunz]
Rob E

9th May 12 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 2.2 is a good motor but as mentioned above there was an issue with the timing chains. However Vauxhall were well aware of it and the problem fault was revised in 2002 so anything after 2002 you should be fine. Just make sure it has had oil changes at regular intervals as the original problem stemmed from lack of engine oil changes. (The chain lubrication nozzle was too small and would clog up, ending in no chain lubrication and eventually the chain would snap). The ones repaired when I was in Vauxhall were all £2000+ jobs and 9 times out of 10 would need a new cylinder head.
Corsa_Sport21

9th May 12 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The issue to look out for on the 2.2 Direct engine is the high pressure fuel pump and regulator. About as common as the timing chain issue on the older models so beware.

Think the Siemens pump was the revised part so have a look.

The Z22YH engine has more power, better MPG, and lower emissions (lower tax band) over the earlier Z22SE.

Really depends what you are after as all 3 cars you have linked couldn't be any further apart.

If its a Vectra type car you are after, then at £1850 thats a good price from a dealer. The 2.2 Directs seem to be alot rarer. Will also have the Gsi twin exhaust as standard.
BarnshaW

10th May 12 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates 2.2 diect has a single tail pipe, not an sri admittingly
Corsa_Sport21

10th May 12 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think it was just the late spec SXi (basically SRi without the wheels or trip computer) and the SRi that had the twin pipes.
Jay

10th May 12 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a 52 2.2 Sri was horribly slow, gutsy, but they are nice cars, with a different engine, seriously avoid they are dire, brother had a 53 one and that was exactly the same, no power at all

Have had a 172 aswell, loved it!!
gtitim

10th May 12 at 19:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have been dissuaded from the Vectra by the brother (Vaux master tech). Now eyeing up a couple of Clio 172s - both 100k miles, 2002, full history, yrs MOT, both at £1695. Need to decide if i prefer black or silver now...
Corsa_Sport21

10th May 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
I had a 52 2.2 Sri was horribly slow, gutsy, but they are nice cars, with a different engine, seriously avoid they are dire, brother had a 53 one and that was exactly the same, no power at all

Have had a 172 aswell, loved it!!

I test drove a 2.2 SRi before i got the SXi and i agree, it was dog slow, had no power at all. I had came from a 2.2 16v Mk4 Astra and couldn't believe the difference due to the extra weight. Then i test drove the 2.2 Direct and couldn't believe the difference. Was like night and day, the Direct had some life about it and didn't struggle at all. Revved alot free-er and had a good bit pull to it.
Gareth T

10th May 12 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Family member had the 2.2, drank the juice but felt nippy, id personally have a diesel engine.
chris_uk
Premium Member

10th May 12 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have the 2.2

the timing chain oil jet blocked if you didnt do regular oil changes starving the chain of oil and then it stretched/ snapped. later engines had a revised oil jet solving this

other than that there are no problems with the engine, generally underpowered engines and will last forever really.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 2005 Vectra Sri 2.2 petrol - your thoughts please? 23 database queries in 0.0116708 seconds