corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Big problems for Donington Park

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Big problems for Donington Park
antnee

User status: Offline
31st May 12 at 00:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An email lifted from another forum, looks like Donny may be shutting for track days

quote:
Donington Trackday 30 May 2012-05-25

It is with deep regret that we have unfortunately had to cancel this event at Donington Park.

The reason for this is as follows.

The situation with drive by noise at Donington Park in 2012 is this. A quiet Trackday has a drive by limit of 98 db measured from a sound meter on the pit wall and possibly further measuring devices around the circuit. All circuits have noise restrictions imposed on them by their Local Authority and unfortunately for Donington, particularly oddly as they are next to an airport, their noise limits are quite low on these “quiet” days.

This year, imposing these limits are clear in that if a car exceeds 98db it will be black flagged. The driver has the opportunity to quieten the car. If this does not work successfully they will not be allowed on track for the rest of the event. This is non negotiable. Our days at Donington are advertised as 98db days on our website and on various listing websites and Trackday broker sites. Our confirmation email that is sent to all attendees prior to the event states this noise policy clearly. This policy is repeated in the safety briefing.

At a recent event we experienced a number of black flag incidents within the first hour. We assisted these drivers with noise reducing exhaust inserts that can reduce drive by noise by up to 3db in some cases. In some cases this worked and in some it did not. A few of the cars were asked to finish due to this, a Peugeot 306, a Chevron recreation race car which had quiet and new exhausts fitted especially for the event, 2 Porsche 911 turbos, both standard and less than 2 years old and a Noble M400. A couple of the black flagged cars were adequately silenced and were allowed to continue, these included a Mazda MX5, a Ford Focus RS and a BMW 325i racecar. We were warned that if we got any more noise violations the event would finish, all cars removed from the track regardless of how loud they were. After this there were the odd noise incident and a technical stoppage was enforced meaning all cars left the track until we were able to ask the offending driver to leave. In every other Trackday I have done at Donington, this includes a number of events we organised there in 2011 and 15 years of trackdays I have attended at the circuit as a customer this has never happened. In all cases, the offending car was black flagged and the other cars were left to use the circuit as before.

Because of this we were imposed a zero tolerance policy on noise at all our future trackdays at Donington. We have been asked to pay a Ł3000 bond and if 1 car exceeded the 98db noise reading the bond would be held by the circuit. Furthermore the circuit owners could shut the circuit for the rest of the day with nil refund. On analysis of the noise data, some specific cars were mentioned as having exceeded the limit and in a number of cases the cause of the breach was classed as “group” This means a number of cars pass the meter and the cumulative noise exceeded 98db. We were not prepared to accept the additional terms and did not want to risk the day being cut short if there was an infringement which in reality, we have no real control of. In effect we had to cancel the event together with all our other trackdays at Donington Park. We have not taken this decision lightly.

We set up in business last year and from doing 15 events last year we planned to increase this to over 20 this year. We have never before cancelled a Trackday. In a number of cases in our first year numbers for certain events have been very low and we have lost significant amounts on a day. We would not cancel the event though as customers have set aside time and money for these events and we are 100% committed to ensure our customers have an enjoyable, safe and good value experience on our days.

We will be looking to replace the days now cancelled however we will offer a full refund or credit note if preferred for the amount you have paid for this event, including, where applicable garages or additional driver costs for the full value. In the event of a full refund being requested, this can be by way of a cheque by return or a direct payment into your account.

We have tried frantically to book another track for Wednesday as a replacement but have been un-successful. We have also checked other events on the 30th and have noticed a day at Cadwell Park in Lincolnshire advertised through www.trackdays.co.uk ; which may be of interest. This is not being run by ourselves.

We are extremely sorry to have cancelled this at such short notice but this only happened today. Please be assured that you will receive our best attention at all times, and for the customers who have not used us before, we sincerely hope to see you again during the year.
Ian
Site Administrator

31st May 12 at 00:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know they were bad when I was last there, we actually had to pause the briefing while a plane flew over, but you drive a standard car around there if its mildly noisy.

Ridiculous.
scott d

31st May 12 at 00:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

commercial interests...

if noise was a problem surely a 3 day festival and 60,000+ people at donny park would not be allowed.
Graham88

31st May 12 at 01:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I was last there 2 GT3's completely standard got black flagged 3 times and thus removed for the day. Completely ridiculous. They will lose so much business. I certainly wouldn't be booking a trackday that can be can cancelled if somebody else's car is too loud
Adster

31st May 12 at 06:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by scott d
commercial interests...

if noise was a problem surely a 3 day festival and 60,000+ people at donny park would not be allowed.

5 day

and i think this is stupid. I've been to download festival twice there and japfest 2 last year and honestly i think the noise of a DHL boeing 767 is alot bloody louder than a GT3

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 06:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The restrictions are ridiculous but at the end of the day if Donnington don't stick to them, it could end up costing them a lot more than one company's business. Donnington are just trying to safeguard their investment, they clearly weren't happy at the above company's attempts at keeping the noise within the acceptable levels so they've penalised them to try to avoid it happening again. In that case it's better to lose one trackday organiser than the use of your racetrack.

It's sad that it's somehow acceptable for a council to put such a low restriction on a site next door to an airport, especially when you consider that when a lot of trackdays will be happening, local residents will probably be in work anyway
Ben J

31st May 12 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How can a standard Porker GT3 be too loud? That same Porker could drive up and down the road right outside the houses nearby, quite legally, whilst beig ragged at 7000rpm. What would they do then?

Mike
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 06:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably pull him and tell him to stop being a dick
Ben J

31st May 12 at 07:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get my point tho!!
Mike
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 07:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, when the track's noise restrictions means a standard road car is too loud then something's not right.
richc

31st May 12 at 07:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

I know they were bad when I was last there, we actually had to pause the briefing while a plane flew over, but you drive a standard car around there if its mildly noisy.

Ridiculous.

It still make me laugh now.
AK

31st May 12 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we got turfed out of Donny in 2008

Makes you appreciate KH... noise limit?!?!
Ojc

31st May 12 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Getting well beyond a joke these noise regs, as long as its not 7am on a Sunday what's the problem?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 08:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
Getting well beyond a joke these noise regs, as long as its not 7am on a Sunday what's the problem?

Yup, they choose to live next to racetracks so they should deal with it and not complain about the noise! its the same as Mallory people there complain about the noise. Fucking idiots!

LeeM

31st May 12 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking dickheads complaining.
If I worked for the council or whatever and someone got in touch complaining my first question would be "did you buy your house before the track was built?" no? Shut the fuck up then
nathy_87

31st May 12 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Alton Towers has got higher noise rating.
Mase
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well the thing that gets me is that Donnington is in a pretty unique position being so close to the airport, the flight path of which actually crosses the track and surrounding villages, so you'd have thought if anything the noise limits should be more lax than other places. Having said that, I've played golf in Breedon (a village close by) when there has been a bike race on and the sound does travel quite a way, but I quite liked it!

Mase
neil h

31st May 12 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
Fucking dickheads complaining.
If I worked for the council or whatever and someone got in touch complaining my first question would be "did you buy your house before the track was built?" no? Shut the fuck up then

This always my argument to be honest. Doningtons been a race track for over 80 years, people moved to the area knowing its an active race track. Thats like moving to the Arctic and complaining its cold ffs.
Graham88

31st May 12 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
How can a standard Porker GT3 be too loud? That same Porker could drive up and down the road right outside the houses nearby, quite legally, whilst beig ragged at 7000rpm. What would they do then?

Exactly why they were furious. Considering they said a GT3 RS was fine. Also when there was 2 of them together they both had to lift off past the sound checker or it went mental apparently
Adam_B

31st May 12 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do have events there with no noise limits (historic festival a few weeks ago) which makes it even more stupid!!
antnee

31st May 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every track is allowed a limited number of 'noisy weekends' usually for stuff like historic stuff, btcc, dtm, motogp, etc
Whittie

31st May 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prius trackday anyone?!
Rob E

31st May 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can recite Donningtons noise limits off the top of my head, Noise regulation was one of the main topics for my exam last week.
Race days (between 9am-8pm)
Upto 20 days per year running unsilenced
Upto 20 days per year @ upto 118Db
Upto 20 days per year @ upto 108Db

The rest of the year the Db limit is 98Db.

Donnington's noise reguations are actually a lot less strict than other circuits because of its location. Rockingham raceway has met fierce opposition from residents complaining and suffer heavy fines if sound limits are breached but I would have thought Donnington could bend the rules slightly purely because of its location

richardworrall
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work down the bottom of the hill in Donington and some days if the winds blowing our way you can here the cars or bike most of the time. Thats about a mile away with all housing estates and industrial units inbetween.
Steve
Premium Member

31st May 12 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

peoples houses will have been cheaper because of the track location, how about we close the track then ask people to pay up the extra premium in increased value there houses will gain

bet they stfu then

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Big problems for Donington Park 24 database queries in 0.0143521 seconds