corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I was involved in a pile-up on the motorway lastnight. Who's to blame? help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I was involved in a pile-up on the motorway lastnight. Who's to blame? help
GteRedtop

User status: Offline
2nd Jun 12 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lastnight i was going down a stretch of motorway with no street lighting and ended up having a serious accident. Fortunutly nobody was seriously hurt. How the accident started was apparently a cardboard box appeared out of nowhere and blew across the carrigeway. The first car (a fiesta) swerved to avoid the box then hit the central resovation which left the car in bits and unremovable which no headlights in the middle lane, the second car (a honda) hit the fiesta and landed 50-100 yards futher down the carrigeway and was then followed in by a kia i think which hit the back of the civic, the next car to collide was a combo then which landed into the back of the kia and then it was me at the back which hit the rear of the combo van and completly demolished my little peugeot 106. It all happend so quick it was unreal! Spoke to my insurance this morning and the attitude they gave me was its your fault as you crashed into the back of the combo van?? I spoke to a relative who works for the police and deals in RTA's told me it was the fiesta's fault. As the insurance have told me its my fault and a good source has told me im not what am i to think?

[Edited on 02-06-2012 by GteRedtop]
taylorboosh

2nd Jun 12 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so none of the cars had lights? i find this hard to believe
johnhara1

2nd Jun 12 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO you should have been a safe enough distance from the Combo to not go into the back of it.

I guess you could have a case if there was oil/petrol etc on the road from the previous collisions but if there was no rear end damage to the combo, i.e lights and reflectors still worked you should have been able to see it??
mattant

2nd Jun 12 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you crash into the back of someone then it's always your fault afaik. The highway code says you need to be at such a distance that if you car in front of you were to slam their brakes on, you could do an emergency stop and not hit them
johnhara1

2nd Jun 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO - Fiesta will be at fault for their own crash, Honda at fault for hitting Fiesta, Kia at fault for hitting Civic, Combo at fault for hitting Kia and you're at fault for hitting the Combo.

Provided all collisions were rear end collisions where lights and reflectors would be visible to on coming vehicles.

But all vehicles having both rear and front end damage due to multiple collisions i wouldn't be suprised if there is alot of denying liability on this one and alot of the words 50/50 getting used

adiohead

2nd Jun 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usually works backwards from the first collision. Your insurance will have to cover the combo and your own car.

Edit - What he said above

[Edited on 02-06-2012 by adiohead]
kennySRi

2nd Jun 12 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As adio said, usually each car is at fault for hitting the car in front of them and if there's no proof of anything dangerous then the first car (which is usually to blame) is the only one to get away with it.

Either way you will be paying for somebodys car as you should of been a safe distance behind, it's as simple as that.
adiohead

2nd Jun 12 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in the middle of a motorway pileup once, but the circumstances were different.

3 of us had come to a standstill as traffic had stopped, then the 4th car came along at 70mph and just ploughed through us all. Insurance still had to go through the route from the front, but the blame was put on the guy at the back because we had safely come to a stop.

Turned out he wasn't insured and I had to find his details on Myspace after a year of failed investigation work from the insurance co.

Once I'd backtracked his details the companies paid out.
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 12 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its unfortunate but You should drive to the conditions; so if you can't see fuck all you should slow down. In the eyes of the insurance company if you can't show any evidence to show the car you rear ended wasn't at fault youre stuffed

[Edited on 03-06-2012 by DaveyLC]
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jun 12 at 08:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not looking good I don't think.
GteRedtop

3rd Jun 12 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did try to swerve thats why i hit the rear corner of the van. but as i braked i locked up whilst skidding through somthing that leaked out from the fiesta.
adiohead

3rd Jun 12 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting new information....
mattk

3rd Jun 12 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can porve that now then you may stand a chance

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » I was involved in a pile-up on the motorway lastnight. Who's to blame? help 23 database queries in 0.0123000 seconds