corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Media Centre for use on the TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Media Centre for use on the TV
fiestakidda

User status: Offline
4th Jun 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evening all,

I've just discovered XBMC (I may be way behind times with this) but don't want to keep hooking my laptop to the TV everytime I want to watch a movie.

Is there anything which you can connect to the tv which I can install xbmc onto? I've looked at apple TV but was wondering if anything else is on the market
andy_mk3

4th Jun 12 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any computer will work really mate. I've got a computer someone gave to be hooked up to my tv, upgraded it, bought a remote and it's perfect.
ed

4th Jun 12 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try and get yourself a Raspberry Pi (or similar). You can just hook it up to your TV and a portable HDD or NAS and you're away once you ve got all the software you need installed on it. They're tiny and cheap, when mine arrives I'm going to just attach it to one of the VESA screw holes on the back of the tv and give it a go.

Other option is something like an Apple TV - runs on a version of iOS and you'll need to jailbreak it to get XBMC on it. Then there are other devices like Popcorn Hours which a few other people on here use.
Rob_Quads

4th Jun 12 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Raspberry Pi is getting some poor reviews in terms of HTPC usage. Its fine if you feed it with exactly the right codecs but veer from it at all and your into the world of judder/jittery playback
andy_mk3

4th Jun 12 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like having a full-blown PC as it runs W7 so it can be used for anything and play anything.
Gary
Premium Member

4th Jun 12 at 21:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple tv
ed

4th Jun 12 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Raspberry Pi is getting some poor reviews in terms of HTPC usage. Its fine if you feed it with exactly the right codecs but veer from it at all and your into the world of judder/jittery playback

Same as a lot of other devices - stick to h.264 and you're sorted.
LeeM

4th Jun 12 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Apple tv
Demo

5th Jun 12 at 07:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another vote her for apple tv 2. Pick one up for about 80 quid and then jailbreak it
noshua

5th Jun 12 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Apple TV if you don't need to download, or Acer Revo or another VDAPU capable mini pc if you want a dedicated low power machine for XBMC and all the downloading business.

New Poll