corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Lens Advice - Tamron SP AF 17-50mm

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lens Advice - Tamron SP AF 17-50mm
Laney

User status: Offline
4th Jul 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello fellow snappers

I thought I'd post this on the off chance that any of you had experience of this lens (or could suggest something similar). It's going on a Canon 600D, whose cropped sensor is currently making the cheap-and-cheerful 50mm prime I've got unusable at the events I film at (film, not shoot - should probably make that clear!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tamron-17-50mm-Aspherical-Lens-Canon/dp/B000FZ3FY8

The two things I'm drawn to are the f/2.8 across the full range and the price. Seems a pretty decent deal as far as I can see...?

Comments/opinions/advice welcome
Adam_B

4th Jul 12 at 11:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fairly comprehensive review here -

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Tamron-17-50mm-f-2.8-XR-Di-II-Lens-Review.aspx

I have a canon lens thats very similar spec but was over twice the price Ive done a bit of filming with my 7d and a 5d mk2, it does look awesome at 2.8 but you do need to wind a bit of zoom on to get the shallow depth effect.

Just out of interest when you film do you manual focus?
Laney

4th Jul 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think I might have read that review already, thanks though.

Yeah, the Canon equivalent is fairly steep and too far out of budget I can imagine it's a good combo with the mk2 though?

Yup, always shoot in manual. I need to invest in one of those cheap clip-on magnifiers for the LCD really but haven't got round to it. That's probably evident in my content
andy1868

4th Jul 12 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have that lens on my Nikon, its fantastic, especially for the price!

I've only done very little filming with it though (messing about more than anything) so i couldn't tell you if its any good for that the manual focus is nice, i couldn't really get to grips with the AF on my Nikon. It also isn't a silent motor so the AF noise would be quite prominent.

I would highly recommend it for stills though. It probably won't perform as well as the Canon/Nikon one but it does one hell of a job of trying to!
Adam_B

4th Jul 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you upgraded your mic?
Laney

4th Jul 12 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, recording to a Zoom H4N on bigger jobs or just record to the body when caught short.
Rob E

4th Jul 12 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have this lens on my 400D. Its superb for the money. The AF is a bit noisy but its in another league compared the 400D's kit lens that it upgraded. Obviously the 400D doesnt have video capability so I dont know how it performs in a filming situation.

Here is an album of a wedding I shot using the Tamron lens (99% of the photos) http://www.flickr.com/photos/23846377@N08/sets/72157629422891577/
Balling
Premium Member

6th Jul 12 at 11:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob E
I have this lens on my 400D. Its superb for the money. The AF is a bit noisy but its in another league compared the 400D's kit lens that it upgraded. Obviously the 400D doesnt have video capability so I dont know how it performs in a filming situation.

Here is an album of a wedding I shot using the Tamron lens (99% of the photos) http://www.flickr.com/photos/23846377@N08/sets/72157629422891577/

Bit unrelated, but you really have a habit of aiming too high. Hardly any one has feet in your shots!

On the subject, I've used said lens on an 1100D and was actually impressed with the picture quality. Better than I would have expected. Haven't filmed with it though...

Laney

6th Jul 12 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like everyone's had a good experience with it then. Shooting manual all the time mean's that I don't tend to worry about noisy or slow AF which means cheaper lenses tend to be okay.

Thanks for the help Camera Club
Rob E

7th Jul 12 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by Rob E

Bit unrelated, but you really have a habit of aiming too high. Hardly any one has feet in your shots!

On the subject, I've used said lens on an 1100D and was actually impressed with the picture quality. Better than I would have expected. Haven't filmed with it though...

It was my first ever attempt and I did notice when I was doing the PP. It was my cousins wedding and they were over the moon with them so that's all that matters!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Lens Advice - Tamron SP AF 17-50mm 25 database queries in 0.0139270 seconds