corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Worth changing my gearbox and slip diff oil?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Worth changing my gearbox and slip diff oil?
Munchie

User status: Offline
24th Jul 12 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simple question....my car has covered 136k miles and is a IS300.

As it is not documented anywhere if this has been changed.......Think I should? What are the benefits?

I am getting a weird noise from the passenger side rear (where the diff is) so could be worth changing it?!

Would want it to be driving smoothly etc.

it has had full oil change, filters, cam belt, aux and spark plugs along with waterpump so piece of mind is that the car should run for ages (touch wood!)

Anybody have any experience etc?
Brett
Premium Member

24th Jul 12 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I assume it'll have a service interval for those bits. If it's not had it done and it's past the interval then get it done yes, no brainer.
Munchie

24th Jul 12 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gearbox oil is 100k I think, says on it though that never needs replacing......wont harm it though eh!

Differential- 60k I THINK and car has no Lexus service history after 80k odd miles I think. I bought it on 122k so obviously if it was done, its due again?!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

24th Jul 12 at 23:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite a few manufactures say box oil never needs to me changed. However that doesnt mean you shouldnt change it, personal preferaNce realy.
Sounds like your diff would love a oil change though tbh buddy.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

24th Jul 12 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BMW say the auto transmission fluid doesn't need changing on their auto boxes, probably the main reason people always mention auto boxes as a common problem on BMWs.

Keep the oil fresh and it should keep things running better for longer. I know when I was at Suzuki, gear oil was every 27k or 3 years, yours has potentially/quite probably done 136k without a change so yeah it's probably worth chucking some fresh in there, the diff's probably 16k overdue too.
Munchie

25th Jul 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I worked out that it needs the following grades......

IS300 ATM- 2.37 litres of T-IV fluid. Differential= 75W-90= 1.34litres

Which I think im just going to order from Lexus instead of wasting time looking for which is the "best"

New Poll