corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Buying & Fixing a Radiator - can you help?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Buying & Fixing a Radiator - can you help?
Billy Dean

User status: Offline
   31st Aug 12 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My radiator sprung a leak (well, more of a fountain!) yesterday at the top-left section that meets the hose. I checked it when dry and it's a hairline crack. The car is 16 years old (dunno when the radiator was changed last) so I'm thinking of buying a new radiator and installing it myself. It's not worth trying to 'patch up' an old radiator is it? Could be false economy?

So, I looked on ebay and there's this new one going for around £25. Bargain, I thought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290737679800?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Apart from that one, any other good deals to be had for radiators?

I'm going to be following the Haynes manual for the radiator job... but as we all know they can be a bit confusing/incomplete at times.
Any hints and tips from you guys would be much appreciated for this job.

Thanks.
tobyc20xe

31st Aug 12 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

easy job to do,if your not the best with cars it should only take you 30mins or so. Never really got anything from ebay though as it tends to be cheap and not made to well! go to vauxhall or even a 2nd hand one from a scrap yard will do the job just clean it out before fitting
Billy Dean

2nd Sep 12 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for ur reply.

I'm thinking of that rad from ebay bcos the seller has very good feedback and it's got a 12 month warranty on it.
I checked Vauxhall's and they are quoting around £85 on Trade Club prices!
I'm avoiding the scrappers as I'd always think in the back of my mind that there'd be a crack waiting to happen on one of those 2nd hand units.

On my engine the Haynes manual says you have to remove the stat to fully bleed and refill the system! That means removing the cambelt!
I don't think I can do that.
So I'll be refilling as much of the system as I can without removing the stat.... would that be ok?
scunnylad

3rd Sep 12 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No you dont need to. Refill your cooling system then run the car up to temp with the header tank cap of. Should bleed through like that. Thats all i ever do.
Generation

3rd Sep 12 at 07:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, you don't need to do that mate.

Just a case of undoing the two brackets for it.
Removing the hoses
Taking temp switch of old one and puttin on new (just unbolts, they do like to break and round off so can't be remove though, new one is about £10)
Remove fan and lift old rad out
And then do in reverse. Adding coolant slowly and making sure no air in system.
Jed D

3rd Sep 12 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

piece of pis to change matey, i paid £25 off ebay for mine, they not genuine and the bits at the top corners that the brackets go onto seem a bit weak but mine has held out fine so far and il be using it on the V6 too
Billy Dean

4th Sep 12 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Many thanks for your hint and tips guys.

Well I ordered a £28 one off ebay and it arrived today (2 yr warranty).
Where the coolant temp sensor goes it seems blocked up with black plastic??!

Is this normal on radiators??
Does the 'black cap' have to be popped off before the temp sensor can go on?

(I have emailed the seller but I'm waiting for his reply)
Billy Dean

5th Sep 12 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The seller told me that the black cap needs to be screwed off before fitment.

Can this radiator job be done without jacking up the car?
Also is it essential to flush out the system with a hose of water before filling it up again? (I ask bcos I don't have a hose-pipe! - maybe I could use jugs of water?)
Brett
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a snide one cheap off ebay in the past myself and never had an issue.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

5th Sep 12 at 13:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett, that car you sold me with the shit radiator has broken. should i send you the bill?
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 13:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes mate, every other person I've sold a car to expects after care so I can't see why not
Dave

7th Sep 12 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Billy Dean
The seller told me that the black cap needs to be screwed off before fitment.

Can this radiator job be done without jacking up the car?
Also is it essential to flush out the system with a hose of water before filling it up again? (I ask bcos I don't have a hose-pipe! - maybe I could use jugs of water?)

Might as well flush it while it's in bits, just run water through until it's only water coming up, half fill with coolant then top up rest with water, assuming a 50/50 mix. You'll need to know roughly the capacity of the system to figure out how much coolant you'll need.

New Poll