corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Want a new car - but not sure on what (few options inside)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Want a new car - but not sure on what (few options inside)
NovaGTE2

User status: Offline
7th Sep 12 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have had the Leon a year (which is a long time for me!!) Was initially bought as a second car when we had an a4 aswell; but got used mainly as a first car as was nicer and cheaper to run than the a4. Now I have bought my wife a 1 series thats more the first car but doesnt really feel like my car (prob my fault as bought her a p/plate for it) but in truth isnt really big enough all the time as we found out on a recent 2 week holiday as we have a 20month old child and dog which we crate in the boot. The leon is slightly bigger boot but really not much.

I have a bit more spare cash this year due to payrise (of which i now work from home f/t and when i have to travel i am paid at 45p per mile), wedding last year and moving house to one which needed a bit of work.

So thinking now i may treat myself to something bigger; been looking around the £10K - £12K mark; want a diesel; must be hatch or estate as the dog needs to go in the boot and be family sized as would want it be big enough for holidays and also when we have another child. Ideally 80K miles or less and a prestige marque really (not a snob but driving the BMW to the leon is so much quieter and smoother). So far i have found a few BMW's I like:
- BMW x5 facelift; can get 05/06 plate with circa 80K on#
- BMW 535d M Sport estate - have found this one down the road eBay Link
- BMW 520d M Sport; can get lower milage than the 535 and would be a bit cheaper to run; not sure if its worth a bit more for the 535 tho eBay Link
- BMW 320d M Sport - bit smaller which i think would be ok; buts is going to be virtually the same as the 120d we have eBay Link I would guess this to go for around £11K
- Range Rover Sport - could maybe stretch to £15k for one of these; but for that money you are at the bottom of the price band for a TDV6 and fearfull it could be a money pit; always wanted one but not sure if I can really afford one at this stage. eBay Link

What are people experiences with what i have thought of or any other ideas which would suit me as im sure there are things i havent thought of

[Edited on 07-09-2012 by NovaGTE2]
scottyp1989

7th Sep 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of those id either got the 320d or 535d. After driving the 520 and 535 back to back the 535 is so much nicer to drive
Gareth T

7th Sep 12 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two guys at work have BMWs and have children. One withe the new 116i hatchback purely to get the pram in and out. The other has a 320d business edition saloon, boot is big but the opening is a little tight for the pram but still gets it in. Both very nice cars.
If I may ask would you consider a alfa 159 estate? big boot and seem to be cheaper to buy than a BMW.
Colin

7th Sep 12 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell both and get a newer X5 07on and get something fun (2seats & some power) for the weekends / occasional business trip.
pow
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 15:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X5 all day long if you can afford it
Brett
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 16:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

X5
Hammer

7th Sep 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

535d M Sport estate. All day long.

Almost 300 brake, 40MPG and shitloads of space. Plus they look awesome.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Sep 12 at 19:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't get a 15k RRS
scottyp1989

8th Sep 12 at 21:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH any landrover/rangerover is a moneypit regardless of cost.
broster
Premium Member

9th Sep 12 at 06:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 2007 320d Msport tourer and the wife has a 2007 525d e60, we have a 20 month old and both are fine for holidays the 5 series has more room in the boot etc but depends how big you dog box is to get in the boot? The 3 series has a build in dog guard that just pulls up from the parcel shelf cover which is cool imo
broster
Premium Member

9th Sep 12 at 06:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh the 320d is the 177bhp version and is loads better on fuel than the 525d. The 5 is a nicer driver tho
colonel_g

9th Sep 12 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just got 525d m sport touring yesterday.flipping love it, loads or power, drives beautifully.
i also have a dog and it has a built in dog guard but its only nylon or something so have ordered a proper one
NovaGTE2

9th Sep 12 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been to look at a few things this weekend; decided to wait for a few more months as really need a few more thousand to get what i want. I think i will go for a 3 series M sport but the later 177bhp as broster has; and try and get one with silly low miles when i have a bit more saved. The x5 was nice; but just felt a bit of a prat driving it; as felt to big for someone my age; I did like the 5 but the wife thought it might be a little big to her; would love the 535 but if im honest i dont drive fast and i know what i am like; because the 1 series would be cheaper to run we would end up taking that; so the 320d would be the best of both.

As for the rangerover; thinking when i am over 30 in a few years time; when i have finished the house and jumped up the pay lader a couple more times
MarkM

10th Sep 12 at 06:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Audi A6. 12k gets you a big engined diesel on roughly an 07 with 60k miles on.

[Edited on 10-09-2012 by MarkM]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Want a new car - but not sure on what (few options inside) 23 database queries in 0.0088971 seconds