corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » o'neil

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author o'neil
Russ

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 12 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

League
First Division: 6 (level 1)
1891–92, 1892–93, 1894–95, 1901–02, 1912–13, 1935–36
Runners-up (5): 1893–94, 1897–98, 1900–01, 1922–23, 1934–35
Second Division/First Division/Championship: 5 (level 2)
1975–76, 1995–96, 1998–99, 2004–05, 2006–07
Runners-up (2): 1963–64, 1979–80
Promotion (1): 1989–90
Third Division: 1 (level 3)
1987–88
[edit]Cup
FA Cup: 2
1937, 1973
Runners-up (2): 1913, 1992
League Cup
Runners-up (1): 1985
Charity Shield: 1
Runners-up (1): 1937
Sheriff of London Charity Shield: 1
Football League War Cup
Runners-up (1): 1942

small club
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 12 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So would you call Newcastle a small club?
Russ

3rd Nov 12 at 23:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you can have a conversation to a newcastle fan and they wont mention sunderland.

that isnt reversible.
Rick Draper

3rd Nov 12 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Best thing and I am sure most Newcadtle fans will agree that happened to them wa relegation. They lost a right load of shit and in turn built a team/squad from it. Straight back up and a decent club. Basically they learnt for the error of there ways, unlike whu.
AlexSXI

3rd Nov 12 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No wonder this section of the board stays silent for hours on end! All 'new' posters get ripped over fuck all!

I haven't seen much of Sunderland this season, apart from the MOTD highlights, but a stat I saw before today's match astounded me. 12 shots on target all season, only 1 today, so 13 on target in 9 games. That's just horrendous
Neil

3rd Nov 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexSXI
I haven't seen much of Sunderland this season, apart from the MOTD highlights, but a stat I saw before today's match astounded me. 12 shots on target all season, only 1 today, so 13 on target in 9 games. That's just horrendous

1 win in 17 too.

0 Goals in 8 hours not including the own goal.

The lowest number of goals in all 4 English leagues.

The least shots on target of any of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Less than half the next worst English team.

[Edited on 03-11-2012 by Neil]
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 12 at 23:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its because people on here know everything about everything, hense why I usually read but not post

Russ - I mentioned Newcastle as their record is no better than ours and I would define them as a pretty big club
taylorboosh

3rd Nov 12 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neil
quote:

1 win in 17 too.

The least shots on target of any of the top 5 leagues in Europe. Less than half the next worst English team.

Nah where ok mate, a wolves fan said so
AlexSXI

3rd Nov 12 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are shocking stats. Imagine having no Fletcher.....

taylorboosh

3rd Nov 12 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think its 100% down to the players, we are crossing balls in and nobody is in the area, surely that's the managerial staffs problem.

Its not like the players aren't trying either.

For example against Newcastle as catts was banned O'Neil played Larson and colback in centre mid, Larson is a winger and no where near strong enough to match up with tiote or cabaye. However bardsley was fit and should've played right back which in turn would free up Gardner for midfield
Rick Draper

3rd Nov 12 at 23:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You have to think he only has to work with what he was left with both cash and player wise.
Russ

3rd Nov 12 at 23:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
quote:
quote:

1 win in 17 too.

Nah where ok mate, a wolves fan said so
did they?
taylorboosh

4th Nov 12 at 00:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
You have to think he only has to work with what he was left with both cash and player wise.

we have a decent squad tbh
taylorboosh

4th Nov 12 at 00:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
as bad as the wolves fans saying we should sack our new manager already

Yes basicly
Hammer

4th Nov 12 at 00:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O'Neill is an outstanding football manager but there is something seriously wrong with Sunderland just now.

I don't know what it is but it certainly isn't down to his lack of ability. He knows a player and he knows how to set a side up.
JonnyJ

4th Nov 12 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't call him outstanding. Apart from a good spell at Leicester/Celtic what has he really achieved? Even a wierd, angry ginger in a tracksuit can win stuff at Celtic, so basically, Leicester.

Whatever you think about him questions should be asked this season. On paper they have a decent squad, they are lucky Reading, Southampton and QPR are so shit otherwise they'd be in the relegation zone. They can't buy a goal, they can't even buy a shot on target it seems.

Questions should definitely be asked. Probably not time to sack him just yet, but he's got to be walking a bit of a tightrope.
Neil

4th Nov 12 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

O'Neill is not outstanding, he's just about average if that. He seems to play a lot of players out of position. After the match yesterday he said "We were in this position last year and fought through", but they did that by sacking the current manager

Here's a post a Villa fan posted on a Newcastle forum around the time sunderland appointed O'Neill and how true it is...

quote:
Villa put too much trust in O'Neill. O'Neill's idea of a transfer policy is that you have no scouting network (genuinely, that's not an exaggeration, we didn't have any), and that you buy only from the home market.

He bought 30 odd players at Villa. The number who weren't playing already in the UK? Two. And one of those only happened because Lyon got on the blower and offered him to us.

MON will only work somewhere where he's the undisputed power - on and off the pitch. That's why Quinn has been shunted away. At Villa, MON worked with three chief executives - Richard FitzGerald, Michael Cunnah and Paul Faulkner.

The first two left because they found MON impossible to work with. the final one was the one who told him he had to do something about the wage bill. He refused, hoping he'd win again, only not to, as he was up against one of Lerner's closest advisors.

So what did he do? He threw his toys out of the pram and left, *five days* before the start of the season. That screwed up last season for us, and if you want an indicator of where his f***ing shameful transfer policy left us, look at the logic in buying an enitre defence in 2008-09 (Friedel. Shorey. Curtis Davies, Cuellar, Luke Young - who he could have had for 2m the year before, but waited and paid 5m for) then, deciding he didn't rate them almost immediately, going out the next season and buying ANOTHER entire defence (Beye, Warnock, Collins, Dunne).

You can point at Ashley Young and say he was a good signing (he was), and Milner was superb for us, but as he'd already spent a year with us before, that one was hardly earth shattering in terms of him scouting out a gem.

When he left, he left us with a wage bill that was 88% of our turnover, and at that point I think we had the sixth or seventh highest turnover in the league - so go figure that one out.

That's why we've had Habib Beye here for three whole years, now aged 35, picking up 40k a week. Thats why we bought Curtis Davies for 10 million pounds - think about it, ten million pounds - only to see him fail and be moved on to Blues for a pittance.

That's also why we're paying Emile f***ing Heskey 65,000 a week until he's 35, too.

You can kid yourself about "oh, it'l be different this time" but it will not be. When he left Celtic, they had the same problems. They were paying Bobo Balde the best part of 40k a week. In the SPL. Think about it.

I note also that you're needing to buy strikers this summer. Well, good luck for that. I remember us clamouring for a reliable scorer to get us into the top four. Martin went out and bought Harewood, then Heskey. At the time Darren Bent went to Sunderland for a measley £10m.

He'll almost certainly sign Kevin Doyle for you, and you'll have misgivings and convince yourself it's about what he does in a Sunderland shirt that matters, but good f***ing luck with that, because O'Neill couldn't pick a striker to save his life.

Don't get me wrong, MON had us finishing sixth (as, however, did O'Leary, which puts it in context), he's not a bad manager at all. But I'll tell you this for nothing, he'll never get you finishing about 8th or so (which these days is the new sixth, as it's harder up the top than it used to be), for two reasons. Those reasons are that to make that extra jump, you need two things - you need to play the transfer market effectively, and you need to be tactically sound.

Those, by coincidence, are MON's two major weaknesses. I've already covered transfers, but about now you should be getting the general sense that although it's ace when his Plan A works (soak up pressure, counter attack, like an away team), he genuinely does not have a clue about where to start iwth having a Plan B.

In four years with us, I also genuinely can not remember one single instance when he made a substitution which changed a match, or changed the way we were set out to play. I suspect he's probably not changed much.

I bet, for example, if i look at your last fixture, he'll have made a change at around 75 minutes. I bet he's done that in almost all your games. Over the course of time, it'll be one player more than any he brings on (for us it was Sidwell, another execrable waste of money). For you, no idea who it'l be, but it'll happen, believe me.

[Edited on 04-11-2012 by Neil]
taylorboosh

4th Nov 12 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol at that post, Its true aswell.

Hammer

4th Nov 12 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
I wouldn't call him outstanding. Apart from a good spell at Leicester/Celtic what has he really achieved? Even a wierd, angry ginger in a tracksuit can win stuff at Celtic, so basically, Leicester.

Whatever you think about him questions should be asked this season. On paper they have a decent squad, they are lucky Reading, Southampton and QPR are so shit otherwise they'd be in the relegation zone. They can't buy a goal, they can't even buy a shot on target it seems.

Questions should definitely be asked. Probably not time to sack him just yet, but he's got to be walking a bit of a tightrope.

Apart from being good at Man United what has SAF achieved?

Reaching 2 cup finals with Leicester and getting Celtic to a European final from an absolutely woeful league is the definition of 'outstanding' imo.
Hammer

4th Nov 12 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
O'Neill is not outstanding, he's just about average if that.

Utter bullshit and he will prove everyone wrong again, same as he always does.
JonnyJ

4th Nov 12 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm Aberdeen? Plus that's a ridiculous comparison, SAF is unparalleled to pretty much any manager in the world.

Outstanding to me is SAF, its Jose Mourinho, its Brian Clough.

If MON is so good then why hasn't he managed a top prem club yet?

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » o'neil 24 database queries in 0.0093448 seconds