corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E46 330 or E36 328? Bought one now

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author E46 330 or E36 328? Bought one now
craig8
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Nov 12 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking at buying one or the other, both would be in m-sport guise, to be used as a fairly cheap but still practical weekend and occasional track car

Got a decent local e46 to go see soon but the only e36 I've seen that I like is in Essex so a fair trek, other issue is the e46 doesn't come with a lsd, anyone got any experience with either car?

[Edited on 18-11-2012 by craig8]

E36 328
shane_o

16th Nov 12 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was contemplating the same thing last week, i went for the e46 330, only because one come up locally with a lot of options but it does seem like a real nice cruiser, make a fairly poor track car though.
Jambo

16th Nov 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Underneath they are very similar, but out of the two I would pick the E46. Younger and a better built car.
cpcrampton

17th Nov 12 at 09:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv got a 2004 80k mile 330 that I am on the verge of selling if you fancy a look ? Next service due is an oil change in 15k miles. Just had inspection 2 on Wednesday.

[Edited on 17-11-2012 by cpcrampton]
Corsa_Sport21

17th Nov 12 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of the 2, would have to be the E46 330i. The E36 are starting to look very dated now.

Also, on the subject of the LSD, unless you get a 95/very early 96 328i Sport, it won't have an LSD. They can be retro fitted mind you (3.0 M3 bolts right up iirc). The standard LSD in them is also quite tame. Pretty shit ratio's.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 11:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u2u'd you craig

but also look out for the cooling system on the 330/328 engines on E46

waterpumps- check if this has been chaged if its high milage (earlier has a plastic impeller, later aftermarket replacements are metal and dont break)
expansion tank - plastic and can go pop (again depends on age)
front lower wishbone suspension bushes go, make sure you check on those (can hear with a clunk when you pull away of arms hitting when bushes perish)
kennySRi

17th Nov 12 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure on your budget but i MIGHT be selling my clubsport soon if you're interested?

If it was just for track days i would go for the E36 as they're cheaper to fix and will feel better imo. If you'll be using it for road use aswell i'd 100% go for a 330, i've had a couple now and they are great.
craig8
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 11:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Budget is only £3000 so clubsport will most likely be out of budget.

Tbh the car will only be used on the road to pop to the shops or doing bits and pieces on a Saturday, her car is used for most other things

Would prefer that I could buy some decent suspension within the budget, possibly some poly bushes too, dont mind high mileage cars and can do most maintenance myself

I'm thinking more along the lines of the e36 as it will be cheaper to repair or replace if I smash it

[Edited on 17-11-2012 by craig8]

E36 328
kennySRi

17th Nov 12 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would find a 328 for around £1500 and spend the rest on suspension, cage, etc. I've had E36s at the same time as a 330 and they are more fun to drive, the 330 is much more refined so not really what you need.

As said with parts, wings, bonnets, and everything really can be bought for next to nothing for an E36. Could you insure an M3? £3k can easily get you an EVO now.
craig8
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 12:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can but don't really want to go back to paying over a grand for insurance again, the 328 is fairly reasonable

E36 328
pow
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 17:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both engines are peaches, but, I'd rather spend a little over the odds and get a nice low milage well specd E36 over a high milage, abused, low spec E46
jimmy 2.1

17th Nov 12 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Buy a cheap but good 323/328 shell then buy the M3 engine I have for sale!
craig8
Premium Member

17th Nov 12 at 19:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's future plans there, if it ever needs an engine it will get a conversion

E36 328
craig8
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well got one now, high miler and I little bubling on the rear arches but good in every other aspect, too dark for pics though so here's a few from the ad

E36 328
Jambo

18th Nov 12 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Genuine sport?

Looks nice
Tomnova16
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My wheels
Looks good

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
craig8
Premium Member

18th Nov 12 at 20:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah genuine sport, been kept really well, floor pan is spotless as is the engine bay and inside and has less sqeeks and rattles than my astra with half the mileage. Brilliant car to drive too just want to turn in to corners

E36 328
Jambo

18th Nov 12 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has zero rot underneath. Very good cars.

If you do any suspension upgrades, get an Xbrace and Powerflex lolly's

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » E46 330 or E36 328? Bought one now 24 database queries in 0.0152130 seconds