corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting a car to MOT test

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Getting a car to MOT test
Mertin

User status: Offline
23rd Nov 12 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a slight dilemma....
Astra has no tax, insurance or mot and is booked in for one on Wednesday.
Obviously I can insure it so that eliminates that, I will be allowed to drive it to test station as its booked in but what about tax? Obviously cant tax it as theres no mot.
Garage is only a few miles away, usually I would just risk it but somethings telling me not to do it, think Iv realised Im bound to get caught 1 day doing little things like this
Easiest option would be trailer If I had access to one but I havent
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

23rd Nov 12 at 10:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as it is insured you are allowed to drive it to a garage for MOT repairs or MOT as long as it is booked in

[Edited on 23-11-2012 by Darryl H]

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
1L Nick

23rd Nov 12 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my mate did this an got court. He had it booked in so the police told him to get the car mot'ed then go tax it an go to the police station an show them its been done.
Ad Blue B

23rd Nov 12 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought as long as it was booked for an MOT you were ok to drive it to the test centre then get it taxed?
Mertin

23rd Nov 12 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Blue B
I thought as long as it was booked for an MOT you were ok to drive it to the test centre then get it taxed?

Hopefully this is the case, it wont be passing the MOT though and coming straight back home again with a shopping list of stuff It'll be going back to the place where the repairs are getting done so should be ok on the return journey aswell
AndyCorsaSport

23rd Nov 12 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You'll be fine. Just drive really fast.
Ad Blue B

23rd Nov 12 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If that's the case then...

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
You'll be fine. Just drive really fast.

BeetleGav

23rd Nov 12 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tbh I don't think the system is that amazing. The insurance one is. But I was pulled over a few year ago for my regplates. My mot had run out a few month previous. (I got the month mixed up with my other car and forgot to check) but they didnt even realise :s
Mertin

23rd Nov 12 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the most I'll pass a village panda car, unless its a weekend night theres rarely traffics in the town. I'll get it insured next week as hopefully itl be on the road in a few weeks anyway
Vauxdan88

23rd Nov 12 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah you can drive to mot without tax, just make sure the mot is pre-booked and the car is insured. You can't drive anywere else but the mot station,if it passes you'll have to leave it at the garage while you take the cert and get tax
Mertin

24th Nov 12 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Vauxdan88
Yeah you can drive to mot without tax, just make sure the mot is pre-booked and the car is insured. You can't drive anywere else but the mot station,if it passes you'll have to leave it at the garage while you take the cert and get tax

Aye mot has been pre booked so thats covered. Obviously if it fails I can remove it to a garage for repairs? It'l be coming back home to the farm to go into the workshop where I'l be sorting it out. Wont be driving anywhere else, just 5 min journey. May stop at the petrol station en route, but thats essential
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Nov 12 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can drive without MOT and tax to a pre-booked MOT test.

You need insurance and you need to go straight there and back.

quote:
Originally posted by 1L Nick
Well my mate did this an got court. He had it booked in so the police told him to get the car mot'ed then go tax it an go to the police station an show them its been done.

That's terrible advice if they meant go in the same car - although the MOT portion of the journey is exempt, the tax buying portion is not and your friend would have committed an offence going to the Post Office in an unlicensed car.
Vauxdan88

24th Nov 12 at 11:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
quote:
Originally posted by Vauxdan88

Aye mot has been pre booked so thats covered. Obviously if it fails I can remove it to a garage for repairs? It'l be coming back home to the farm to go into the workshop where I'l be sorting it out. Wont be driving anywhere else, just 5 min journey. May stop at the petrol station en route, but thats essential

Yeah can move it to a garage to be fixed but can't drive it there, have to use a flat bed or something, only place you can drive without that tax disc, no matter what is to the pre booked mot. It then cannot be 'driven' anywere else til you have that disc. And I know we all need petrol but you know what some coppers are like,wankers and if they saw you at a petrol station it wouldn't surprise me if they decided to be twats about it, they would quite simply say 'well you should of come and got a jerry can full and took it back to your car'.
Mertin

24th Nov 12 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its had 2 jerry cans in it just for moving it from yard to the shed, x25xe and always cold seems to guzzle the fuel and a jerry can makes no diff to a 50-60l tank

I reckon I'll just chance it with removing it from the garage for repairs, garage its going to doesnt really deal with repairs and its just going back to our workshop where the lorries are worked on. If worst comes to worst hope I get a decent cop, never had any run ins at all with local fuzz so got a clean sheet with them. Fingers crossed!
Vauxdan88

24th Nov 12 at 23:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough mate,just try not to spot any traffic cars - ANPR! Lol
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

25th Nov 12 at 05:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive done this with heaps of cars, you can drive to a pre booked mot appointment otherwise lots of people would struggle to get SORN'd cars with out of date mot's back on the road

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Getting a car to MOT test 24 database queries in 0.2378628 seconds