corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Microsoft Software Asset Management Review

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Microsoft Software Asset Management Review
Bart

User status: Offline
21st Jan 13 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh joy.
So one of these Microsoft Software Asset Management Review (SAM) emails has arrived from MS (genuinely from MS, not a scam email), asking that I kindly review ALL our machines software by a certain date!

I have a percentage of machines which are good, and large percentage of machines which are not good.

In addition, I have a lot of machines at a remote office (maybe 15 machines) as well as a handful of site staff (maybe 15 machines), most of which are not good.
The machines that are not good are running TechNet latest software (office 2010/2007).
The machines that are good, are mainly running OEM software.

I do have some good news, we hold a lot of genuine OEM software, mainly office 2003.

I have a few questions if anyone is in the know...

1, Can I get away with not declaring remote machines, or certainly not all of them?
2, Can I get away with declaring the non-good machines are running office 2003 and just send them the evidence of EULA/hologram certificate for said software?
3, if #2 is not possible, I should be able to uninstall non-good software and install back on older OEM software?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do not risk not declaring if it comes to they will come to site and do a local review. If your not licences you generally just have to pay a % to Microsoft.

Uninstall all non licenced software and stick licenced stuff on else its only going to bite you in the arse.
pow
Premium Member

21st Jan 13 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck with that, I've done one for a primary school and they were strict... let alone a business!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We have ignored the emails for a while now.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good luck with that Will
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Talk to me about your experience with them?
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i.e. actual facts or events that have actually happened to you.
pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did it ontime and they asked me for proof of a random selection of licences. Had to polish up a few copies of Vista and Office 07 at the time (downgrade them back to XP/03) but that was it, we were largely above board.
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We are completely above board but my boss refuses to give MS the time of day, and the fact we are rushed off our tits at the moment so to take time to gather aload of licence information which we've paid for seems abit gay.

[Edited on 22-01-2013 by willay]
Bart

22nd Jan 13 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

This email is to follow up the letter your organisation should have received from Microsoft notifying you of the Software Asset Management (SAM) review we would like you to complete. I will be your primary point of contact internally at Microsoft for the entirety of the review and am sending you this email to outline what the process entails. If there is anything you are unsure on please don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Please be aware that this initiative is required as per the terms and conditions of your Microsoft Volume licence agreements. If you have any doubts about the authenticity of our request please do not hesitate to contact the Microsoft UK Switchboard and ask for me directly.

The steps in the consultancy process are as follows;

Process Steps
1. We ask you to complete the attached deployment summary (spread sheet format) and return to us via email.
2. Once we receive your deployment summary we will analyse the Microsoft software in use against the licenses held and provide you with an Estimated License Ownership Position. There may be areas that require further clarification;
3. When this is done, a finalised License Ownership Position (as of the date of the consultancy) will be provided, detailing what you own and what we understand you are using, based on the information you have supplied. This final summary will detail over-licensing or any apparent variances that may need to be remedied;
4. Along with the final License Ownership Position summary you will also receive a Software Asset Management Tips guide.

In order to make the process as efficient as possible we would highlight the following:
1. You may wish to engage your IT Partner to assist you through (or even manage) the process on your behalf;
2. We recommend that you request from your IT partner/s a list of Microsoft licenses you have purchased via OEM (pre-installed with hardware) or FPP (boxed retail copies). The purpose of this is to ensure that we are evaluating your total license ownership position. Please note that records of licenses purchased under a Volume License Program (such as Open, Select or Enterprise) will be already available in the Microsoft records system;
3. Microsoft do make available a free software audit tool called MAPS that might be of assistance in establishing exactly what Microsoft software you have installed on each device. Details on this tool and the location to download it from can be found on the internet as follows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/solutionaccelerators/dd537566.aspx
4. If you have purchased Volume Licenses under a different company name or have acquired other organisations that may have purchased licenses, please try to have this information available. This will enable us to identify any licenses you own which have been purchased under alternative names.

The documents attached to this email:
• A generic copy of the letter originally sent to your organisation by Microsoft;
• A document that covers some of the frequently asked questions regarding the consultancy process;
• A copy of your organisation’s Volume License Purchase Summary from the Microsoft licensing database;
• A deployment summary that we would appreciate your response to by 11/02/2013. If, for any reason, you are unable to meet this timeframe please contact us by return email.

What you can expect to get out of the consultancy?
• Consolidation of all your licensing records into one concise report which can then be maintained and modified by your organisation in the future;
• Assistance with understanding licensing rules, and, in particular, how they relate to your own specific situation;
• Licensing expertise and advice available to you throughout the process, free of charge;
• Guidance regarding on-going Software Asset Management to eliminate waste and redundancy and mitigate risks of non-compliance.

Please do ask questions if you are not sure about the information you are being asked to provide, or if you have any queries whatsoever in regards to the SAM consultancy process.

pow
Premium Member

22nd Jan 13 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just don't lie because it can come back to bite you on the bum I've heard

New Poll