corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » File Sync Software?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author File Sync Software?
Bart

User status: Offline
23rd Jan 13 at 16:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im after some (free) software that will allow me to sync a folder between several users. The main folder will be located on a network share.

In essence, as one user updates a file / creates a new file in the synced folder, id like to see it automatically uploaded to the network share and then the clients pull down the updates and vice versa, kinda like an internal drop box.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Dom

23rd Jan 13 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robocopy will monitor and sync between directories; plenty of guides if you do a Google.
Brett
Premium Member

23rd Jan 13 at 17:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Microsoft SyncToy?

edit cause i'm not sure if it can be set to auto or not.

[Edited on 23-01-2013 by Brett]
Bart

23rd Jan 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brett that software looks and sounds great, but I think you need to setup task scheduler in order to auto mate it.

There is a robocopy GUI program available, I may look into this unless anyone else has suggestions.
Dom

23rd Jan 13 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are GUI's for Robocopy like WinRoboCopy - http://frustrateditengineer.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/winrobocopy-a-handy-gui-front-end-for-robocopy/

There's also another MS tool Richcopy - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2009.04.utilityspotlight.aspx
Bart

23rd Jan 13 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Dom.
Just to confirm, this program will run in the background and compare folders and sync accordingly?

I don't want to run batch scripts, I want something that will continually update/sync in the background.

[Edited on 23-01-2013 by Bart]
Dom

23rd Jan 13 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Thanks Dom.
Just to confirm, this program will run in the background and compare folders and sync accordingly?

It's been a while since i've used it but using the 'MON' parameter you can get it to monitor a directory. Although Robocopy is pretty basic, so it's one instance to a directory ie - need to monitor 3 or 4 directories, then it's 3 or 4 instances of Robocopy (or you batch script it).

There's also a free version of Syncback that might do what you're after; i use the Pro version for my backups (and secondary backups) and incremental/versions of work backups etc.
Bart

23rd Jan 13 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive found free file sync:
http://freefilesync.sourceforge.net/usage.php#features

I overlooked it initially, because it seemed to basic, but they include another exe for continual file monitoring.

Ive tested it quite a bit and really pleased with it.
you can set a period of time on how often it should check.

Thanks anyway
Chris
Premium Member

24th Jan 13 at 23:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ROBOCOPY source dest /e /r /w /PURGE

I use that my user volume with 4.5 million files works well

You could also look at file handle monitor if you require realtime backup.

Other issue is file revisoning if many users have acces to one file, although they will be prompted for read only view.

Other option is DFS for local copies of a domain share, as FS shares via client is limited to 10 by default.

New Poll