corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » performance inlets and engine bay pics.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author performance inlets and engine bay pics.
Paul W
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Jan 13 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I'm thinking of trying to tidy up my engine bay for this year as it's a complete mess at the minute. First off, I've been thinking of possibly purchasing a performance inlet for it, due to sacking off the x18xe1 conversion idea for possibly something better in the future. So those of you who've had/have performance inlets (specifically the VX performance ones) what are they like to live with day to day driving? How's the general driveability? At the minute mine just feels shit to drive at low revs and cruising about, e.g. when just cruising on light accelerator it'll start to feel jerky with the revs kinda bouncing a little bit. Shit when pulling away from lights too. Also, does it affect fuel consumption much? Basically, is it a worthwhile investment for generally better driving?

Second, pic spam away please, show me your tidy bays, preferably 14/16xe's. What have you done/binned off for a tidier bay etc? Cheers peeps

Rio Verde Bagged More Door Project
LukesCorsaSXi

16th Jan 13 at 15:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
At the minute mine just feels shit to drive at low revs and cruising about, e.g. when just cruising on light accelerator it'll start to feel jerky with the revs kinda bouncing a little bit. Shit when pulling away from lights too.

Mines exactly the same.
Paul W
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's terrible isn't it? Dunno if it's all the EGR bollocks that's to blame or what but everything was cleaned up and serviced the other year when the head was replaced on mine and it still does it.

Col004

16th Jan 13 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old 1600 from years ago. Same as a 1400 visually

Drove well, Pulled well and made 141bhp. Still ran the EGR. It didn't give me any issues.

smcGSI16V

16th Jan 13 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old c16xe bay.
Just tidyed up and satin blacked.
Ran 124bhp no problems.
shaunmods
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VX Performance inlet
4-2-1
Decat back system
Enclosed filter
EGR + SAI blanked off
etc

I've not driven one properly without an inlet so can't really compare it. Mine I've feels quite flat at low revs. When you hit 4k the power kicks in and it pulls right up to the limiter You could almost compare it to a VTEC? If your in the wrong gear you have no power. I had a lot of problems with my VX performance inlet last year due to constant air leaks Love it though when it works right

[Edited on 16-01-2013 by shaunmods]
*CorsaCal*

16th Jan 13 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get a 4-2-1 exhaust manifold and bin that stupid fookin auxillary air pump!!
Paul W
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice, nice. Think SAI and EGR are definitely getting binned, along with a bit of a wiring/pipe tidy up. Mainly want to sort the driveability out tbh, make it generally better and nicer to drive.

Shaun, you know how much i love your bay. Is it 'smooth' to drive as such? At the minute mine just feels jerky, kinda hard to explain. Just a bit shit at times. Thinking a nice full service and inlet might make it a bit nicer. Would love a mantzel but they seem to be like rocking horse shit nowadays and go for silly money. VX inlet seems like an easier/cheaper option, however, if fitment and air leaks are common with them it would seem they're cheap for a reason .

Trouble with an exhaust manifold Cal is ground clearance, heard a lot of people have trouble and they're not even running that low, I'd dread to think what it'd be like with mine . Would probably need a custom one making up.

[Edited on 16-01-2013 by Paul W]

*CorsaCal*

16th Jan 13 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines on standard mani but sitll feels revvy with no running issues?

PS bloody love shauns bay!
shaunmods
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 22:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W
Shaun, you know how much i love your bay. Is it 'smooth' to drive as such? At the minute mine just feels jerky, kinda hard to explain. Just a bit shit at times. Thinking a nice full service and inlet might make it a bit nicer. Would love a mantzel but they seem to be like rocking horse shit nowadays and go for silly money. VX inlet seems like an easier/cheaper option, however, if fitment and air leaks are common with them it would seem they're cheap for a reason

Its lovely and smooth Paul I heard about the EGR problems before I converted mine so I blanked it off before it went in the car luckily. My VX Inlet was fine for two years until I took it off to do a head rebuild last year and since then its just been a complete nightmare
*CorsaCal*

16th Jan 13 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Filthy bay at the time but makes you realize much room the SAI takes up!

Paul W
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, definite improvement then. I should have blanked my EGR when the head was changed on mine, figured cleaning up all the sensors and tb etc would at least make it better but didn't seem to change it. What about fuel consumption? Seen much of an increase?

Cal, the SAI is such an ugly heap of shit mines noisy as fuck on start up too, louder than the actual engine at times

*CorsaCal*

16th Jan 13 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer thats why i got rid of mine. Ive not noticed any difference watsoever since removing it so im sure it actually serves no purpose. Lol.
Haimsey
Premium Member

16th Jan 13 at 23:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread
marklawton

16th Jan 13 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul - you want to get a janspeed manifold. great fitment. the likes of protech etc hang to low
smcGSI16V

17th Jan 13 at 00:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Mark.

I had a janspeed 4-2-1 manifold and it didn't sit to low and the fitment was good. Drove better as well with it fitted.
Paul W
Premium Member

17th Jan 13 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite nice Haimsey, and you've kept all the gubbins. Think a painted rocker does wonders.

Ah, cheers for the heads up on the manifold. Best (cheapest) place to get them from? May add it to the list.

djgritt
Premium Member

17th Jan 13 at 18:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by *CorsaCal*
Yer thats why i got rid of mine. Ive not noticed any difference watsoever since removing it so im sure it actually serves no purpose. Lol.

You shouldn't notice SAI anyway - it dumps air into the exhaust to create a leaner mixture of Exhaust Gas to create a higher temperature to bring the Cat to optimum operating temperature sooner.

*CorsaCal*

17th Jan 13 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought it was for that purpose. Ahhh just remove the cat! Lol.
Firestate88

17th Jan 13 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definatly vote for the janspeed manfiold, had one on my old corsa and didn't hit anything, sod the SAI and also maybe try changing the fuel you use
i know from my astra that it was designed to run on super unleaded.
when i run my astra on normal unleaded its jumpy and hesitant sometimes when putting the trottle down but when i use super unleaded i don't have either of those problems
Paul W
Premium Member

17th Jan 13 at 23:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuel doesn't seem to make a difference Rob, I can put the good stuff in and it'll still be the same. You gonna come round for the arch roller sometime? I did text you the other week?

Aerox-lad

28th Jan 13 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines not all that neat but....
Paul W
Premium Member

29th Jan 13 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the going rate for a mantzel these days?

vx-scottw
Premium Member

29th Jan 13 at 21:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all i can say is that shauns is the best for example

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » performance inlets and engine bay pics. 24 database queries in 0.0156350 seconds