corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » FedEx has more bandwidth than the internet

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FedEx has more bandwidth than the internet
Russ

User status: Offline
7th Feb 13 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cisco estimates that total internet traffic currently averages 167 terabits per second. FedEx has a fleet of 654 aircraft with a lift capacity of 26.5 million pounds daily. A solid-state laptop drive weighs about 78 grams and can hold up to a terabyte. That means FedEx is capable of transferring 150 exabytes of data per day, or 14 petabits per second—almost a hundred times the current throughput of the internet.

pointless but bit funny (if you are a geek)
andy_mk3

7th Feb 13 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ping might be a bit high tho
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Feb 13 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We used Sneakernet in my early uni days for bringing downloads home, quicker than dial-up for the final hop.
Ste
Premium Member

7th Feb 13 at 23:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember years ago about someone using pigeon-net. They got a 4gig memory card and put it on a homing pigeon 60 miles away and at the same time transferred the file over adsl. the pigeon got there and transferred the card onto the hard drive 20 times faster than adsl

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Rob E

8th Feb 13 at 00:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FedEx will also try and screw you over in the process by charging you for services you never asked them to provide. Very sneaky company pulling wool over users eyes when it comes to import duty
dannymccann

8th Feb 13 at 07:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fedex pay import duty on your behalf and then charge you for it? That's what happens at work anyway, because they charge an admin fee on top of it with VAT on and I have to reclaim that VAT...
Rob E

8th Feb 13 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But was the option given for you to pay it yourself? They tried to charge me £10.50 for the pleasure! I emailed them saying I had not agreed for them to pay my VAT on my behalf and asked them to amend the invoice which they did with no questions or conflict.
Aaron

8th Feb 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tell this to the guy who was trapped on the island, and his mate...Wilson
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Feb 13 at 18:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
I remember years ago about someone using pigeon-net. They got a 4gig memory card and put it on a homing pigeon 60 miles away and at the same time transferred the file over adsl. the pigeon got there and transferred the card onto the hard drive 20 times faster than adsl

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

New Poll