corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Cylinder head confusion

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cylinder head confusion
jay.jay

User status: Offline
21st Feb 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I had a "refurbed" ported and polished head on my x16xe that seems to have leaking valve stem seals. So I swapped it for the head on my old x14xe for the time being so that I can re lap the valves etc on the x16xe head. Now my problem is, since fitting the x14xe head (which has 8 burnt out exhaust valves lol) the car seems to pull a lot better and top end is more responsive too can some one explain to me what the hell has happened? Whilst changing the heads over I wrapped the manifold and put a new standard FPR too, but surely that wouldn't make a difference?

I'm yet to check over the x16xe head but if someone can shed some light on what might have caused this supposedly "refurbished" head to be so crap that will be great
Jed D

21st Feb 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i always thought the 14xe and 16xe heads where the same tbh... maybe you've raised the compression?
daine
Premium Member

21st Feb 13 at 23:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They are the same Jed, same cam's too
jay.jay

22nd Feb 13 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right ok, I always thought they were different haha how could sticking a standard head back on improve performance over a head that's had some work done to it?
Jed D

22nd Feb 13 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos the work may not have been done properly maybe?
jay.jay

22nd Feb 13 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's what I'm thinking reckon it could be cause it wasn't mapped?
daine
Premium Member

23rd Feb 13 at 12:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wright mate! with out checking the heads side by side, the first one ported and polished will be the better head, just get the stem seals done!.
try changing the FPR back to the old one, if it pulls crap you know its that
With the first head, the air flow will be good and a knackered FPR will make it run real weak! so changing that's
made the big difference

New Poll