corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another new TV

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another new TV
mwg

User status: Offline
14th Jan 13 at 09:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought a Samsung UE40ES6300 TV a couple of weeks ago from Amazon. I'm sending it back as the Smart TV part of it keeps playing up. It keeps coming up with errors, constantly wants to update and it deletes all the apps. Sometimes it just doesn't work at all and I get a blank screen.

The picture was fantastic apart from when watching dark scenes in a film for example there's clouding on the screen, it's like light bleeding through in patches from behind.

Apart from that () I liked it so might take a chance on another one from elsewhere. Amazon can't do a swap as they are out of stock so giving me a refund instead.

Any suggestions for similar size/spec TV's, might as well have a look at others now to keep my options open? It cost me £550 so I guess I have that as maximum to spend again. I do like a nice thin bezel like the Samsung had, probably can't get that elsewhere.

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by mwg]
A2H GO

14th Jan 13 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I opted for a standard CCFL backlit TV over the LED as every one I looked at had that clouding on dark scenes, would do my head in that.
mwg

14th Jan 13 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Philips 42"
http://www.johnlewis.com/231554187/Product.aspx

Panasonic Viera 42"
http://www.johnlewis.com/231546907/Product.aspx

Got to add the dongles to make them Smart TV's though. And they're not 3D like the Samsung but that doesn't bother me that much.

Yes the clouding really annoyed me
mwg

14th Jan 13 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Every TV review I read there is always at least one person mentions that the blacks aren't very good. Not sure what to do! Are Plasma's old hat now? They are supposed to show blacks well aren't they?
Dom

14th Jan 13 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Got to add the dongles to make them Smart TV's though.

Both have ethernet; the 'dongle' is purely for wireless access and even then you could use a cheaper Wireless/Ethernet bridge.

Edit - Good site for reviews is hdtvtest.co.uk and they've reviewed the Panny - http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42e5b-l32e5b-201207131935.htm

[Edited on 14-01-2013 by Dom]
Scotty_B

14th Jan 13 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plasmas are still the best in my eyes above 40".
John

14th Jan 13 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's some big Samsung fault just now, might not actually be your TV.
Munchie

14th Jan 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LG 42LM620T (42" LED/3D/Smart TV- £529.95)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lm620t/lg-42lm620t

Or the ES6300 is in stock as well

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40es6300/sams-ue40es6300

I would defo buy from Richer sounds, they are brilliant for after sales support as well
mwg

14th Jan 13 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
There's some big Samsung fault just now, might not actually be your TV.

That would explain the Smart TV playing up. But not the clouding.

Looked on that link that Dom posted and the Samsung seems to fair better than the Panasonic from my non expert reading of that review?
mwg

14th Jan 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Munchie
LG 42LM620T (42" LED/3D/Smart TV- £529.95)

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/lg/42lm620t/lg-42lm620t

Or the ES6300 is in stock as well

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40es6300/sams-ue40es6300

I would defo buy from Richer sounds, they are brilliant for after sales support as well

Both of those are exclusive to in-store customers, nearest Richer Sounds is 50 miles away. I need it delivering or in a shop local to me.

Currys are selling it at the same price but can't be delivered for 2-4 weeks. I don't trust them not to go bust in that time TBH
Munchie

14th Jan 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah sorry!

That LG is sound, we personally have Samsungs in the whole house and are happy with them.

Panasonic and Toshiba make shite frames so look crap!
mwg

13th Mar 13 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I've ordered the Samsung UE40ES6300 again. Been looking at the latest customer reviews over the past couple of months and not seen anyone complaining about the clouding and Smart TV software issues so hopefully that means it was just a dodgy batch when I bought mine last time.
Balling
Premium Member

13th Mar 13 at 11:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Are Plasma's old hat now?
No, on the contrary. The development in the LCD market has increased the gap in image quality between the display types.

The review of the TV you've bought actually touches on the subject:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40es6300-ue46es6300-201211142326.htm

"...while competing display technologies (for example, Plasma) also have their quirks. Plasma is where Samsung are really exciting us lately, though, with year-on-year improvements – in comparison, we don’t feel LCD’s picture quality has improved much at all over the last few years."

What people want when they look for a new TV isn't image quality. It's a thin design and a stainless steel bezel.
As a result, modern LCD TV's make huge compromises in terms of image quality in order to look impressive at display in the stores. Hence the "clouding" effect you're describing.

Taken from the above site in a review of a £500 42" Panasonic plasma:
"it completely smokes LCD-based TVs (which is the bulk of the competition at this price point) in just about every way, with its ultra-low input lag, near-perfect screen uniformity, and naturally achieved deep blacks."

As soon as it's turned off however, the Panasonic plasma just looks ancient compared to modern LCD's. As said, it's a compromise.

mwg

13th Mar 13 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sexiness was a factor, I must admit That review seems fairly positive
A2H GO

13th Mar 13 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by mwg

What people want when they look for a new TV isn't image quality. It's a thin design and a stainless steel bezel.

The majority of people do, but not all.

My mate just changed his perfectly fine 12 month old Samsung LED TV for a different 40in Samsung LED TV because it 'looks better' and has a 'thinner bezel' and has smart TV functions, all of which he already had in his xbox so will no doublt never use.

I'd rather better picture quality.

[Edited on 13-03-2013 by A2H GO]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Another new TV 26 database queries in 0.0134840 seconds