corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » insurance with v5 in another name

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author insurance with v5 in another name
KeiranG

User status: Offline
24th Mar 13 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

right my gf is getting her dads car.
shes tried to sell hers but no one has bought it yet.

was jut wondering can my girlfriends dad insure my girlfriends car without changing the name to his on the v5.

thanks
Dave

24th Mar 13 at 17:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not something I've tried myself but I don't see any reason why not. He'd just be down as the main driver but she'd be the registered keeper.
LeeM

24th Mar 13 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant hold a policy on a car you dont own. but v5 isnt proof of ownership either
ChazSXi

24th Mar 13 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeeM
cant hold a policy on a car you dont own. but v5 isnt proof of ownership either

Sure can....admiral insure my company car, car is owned and is in company's name, the insurance is in my name solely. They didnt have an issue with that
Brett
Premium Member

24th Mar 13 at 17:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can be done but a lot of insurers dont like it.
shaunmods
Premium Member

24th Mar 13 at 17:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've insured cars not registered in my name before and have never had a problem.
Pop

24th Mar 13 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the insurance to be valid there has to be insurable interest between the driver and the vehicle.
KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Not something I've tried myself but I don't see any reason why not. He'd just be down as the main driver but she'd be the registered keeper.

thats what i thought it was, and if i remeber rightly doing a quote online they ask you if the car is registered to yourself or not.
KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive asked google also but all that comes up is amarican tosh, saying that some states are different from others.

directline was the only one i found from the uk and they said its fine aslong as the insurers know about it.
but thats the only one io found from the uk.
so wanted a bit more reassurance.

i suggested to her temporary cover as itll only be for like a month or so but they dont like going with insurers theyve never heard of.

KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 17:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
I've insured cars not registered in my name before and have never had a problem.

i couldnt see why it would be a problem, just thinking back to when some one first buys a car from a private trader, there still insured on it whilst the v5 is getting altered and that can take up to a month.

thats another reason why i asked the question in the first pace to avoid that wait. and if someone buys it whilst its getting chnaged over then theres another month to wait.
Jamie-C

24th Mar 13 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never had a problem insuring a car in someone elses name myself. It asks you on comparison sites are you registered keeper and it doesn't effect it.
KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie-C
Never had a problem insuring a car in someone elses name myself. It asks you on comparison sites are you registered keeper and it doesn't effect it.

thats what i remeber aswell.
theres a drop down menu that you choose from if i remember. correct me if im wrong.

she was just panicking as she wants it gone asap and her dads got a new motor, and her dad cant be insured on two cars at once as he has got his bike on his insurance aswell.

John

24th Mar 13 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bike shouldn't stop him being insured on 2 cars.

If you actually wanted to know the real answer though it's surely better just phoning and asking.
KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 17:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Bike shouldn't stop him being insured on 2 cars.

If you actually wanted to know the real answer though it's surely better just phoning and asking.

we have phones but as its sunday, the cheapest insuranc equote they got, cant remeber now who it was with are shut and not open till tomorrow.

so wanted to get to know whether i could or not today so i could tell her and her dad in time for tomorrow.
Toby
Premium Member

24th Mar 13 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Admiral ask when they quote who the policy belongs too in relation to the car.
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Mar 13 at 18:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont get it, why doesnt her dad just transfer the car to her?
KeiranG

24th Mar 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
i dont get it, why doesnt her dad just transfer the car to her?

hes got a new car, so hes pout his insurance to his new car leaving my gf to insure his old car leaving her current car uninsured on the driveway. which is to my knowledge illegal.
so they did quotes and its cheaper for my gf dad to insure her current car for the year other than her.

but as she is looking to sell it, she wanted to know whether she could leave it in her name whilst her dad was insured.

if not then she wouldnt be able to sell it yet as they would have to wait for the v5 to come back through the post. for the new owner to complete it and send it off.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » insurance with v5 in another name 23 database queries in 0.0136960 seconds