corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Don't you just hate...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Don't you just hate...
BluKoo

User status: Offline
5th Apr 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
Too expensive imo, no need. Unless you've got a decent contract with a car advertising team.

I'm hoping to get my foot in the door and start shooting for car magazines (already spoken to a few editors). So although I don't really have the work to justify it right now, I'm hoping it'll help me get to that stage.
You know what they say. It takes money to make money.
Ste
Premium Member

5th Apr 13 at 10:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is it not just fishing poles?

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
BluKoo

5th Apr 13 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

Whittie

5th Apr 13 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste

Nah, I used a cut down scaffold pole when I did it.

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
It takes money to make money.

True say.
BluKoo

5th Apr 13 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie

Nah, I used a cut down scaffold pole when I did it.

That's what a lot of people use, but I didn't see the point in not getting the best I could afford.
Scaffold pole is a lot heavier and more likely to damage bodywork.

If I ever have to use this on a car with fibre glass panels then I know it'll be a lot safer.

[Edited on 05-04-2013 by BluKoo]
Rob E

7th Apr 13 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
What sort of spec is your laptop? Going by the price it better be good lol
Likely a top spec 13" MBP or entry level 15" MBP in that price range.

Na, I avoided apple like the plauge. I bought a custom built machine. Finally got it all set up yesterday and had a very quick play in photoshop. The screen is absolutely stunning with the higher gamut. I need to get a calibrator now for colour accuracy and then its good to go

Laptop Spec is in here http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=652691&page=2
BluKoo

9th Apr 13 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My rig finally arrives tomorrow and it feels like christmas eve right now. I don't think i'm gonna sleep much tonight
Hammer

9th Apr 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're not going to sleep much because you have a 1300 quid pole arriving tomorrow?

Although I am glad I stuck with the thread until page 2 - Jennifer Lawrence
BluKoo

9th Apr 13 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
You're not going to sleep much because you have a 1300 quid pole arriving tomorrow?

Although I am glad I stuck with the thread until page 2 - Jennifer Lawrence

I know. Quite sad really lol
BluKoo

17th Apr 13 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking fed up waiting!

The delivery I received on the 10th wasn't even my rig. It still hasn't been dispatched! :grr: Waiting on bits from Italy, but they should be arriving today.
On the other hand I bought a new lens yesterday and it actually does get delivered tomorrow Canon 10-22mm. Can't wait
Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10-22mm? I would have thought 17/18mm to be easily wide enough for a rig of that length?

Or is it not for use with the rig?

I also thought you shot a 5D, but I hope that's not the case.

Whittie

17th Apr 13 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get cool shots with ultra wide lens from a rig! I'd rather the 10-22 than 17/18-30.
Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 13:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know people usually use ultra wide lenses to compensate for a short rig, but in this case the rig is fairly long, so I'd think a longer focal length would be preferable to avoid too much barrel distortion.

Either way, the 10-22mm is a nice bit of kit and offer some interesting artistic possibilities in other areas, like street photography.
By no means a useless lens.

BluKoo

17th Apr 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, I use a 7D, so the 17mm I have is effectively a 27mm.
This 10mm will give me the same as a 16mm on full frame.
17mm might have been good enough for a 6m boom, but if you mount it on the roof of the car and it's a more front on shot then you've already moved the camera 1.5-2m closer to the subject.

I also do work for an office furniture/interior design company and the ultra wide aspect of this lens will vastly improve some of those shots.

This is a good example to show the difference between 18mm and 10mm.

[Edited on 17-04-2013 by BluKoo]
BluKoo

17th Apr 13 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This shot was taken with a 10-22mm on a 7D with a 10ft rig. My rig is nearly 19.6ft so I could get double the distance.

Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

7D, right. Would have been a bummer if you had a 5D only to find out your new lens didn't fit.

For real estate photography the 10-22 is a no brainer. I'd probably even have looked at the Sigma 8-16mm in stead to gain those extra 2mm.

I see what you're saying about the front end shot, but I can't help but wonder if you'll get too much of a "fish eye" effect shooting wide from that angle.
Then, that's the sort of experimentation I can sit here an envy you for.

The above diagram is nice, but that's not how it works at all, btw.

Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 13:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
This shot was taken with a 10-22mm on a 7D with a 10ft rig. My rig is nearly 19.6ft so I could get double the distance.
That kind of proves my point exactly. You'd get a much better picture from 19ft with a closer zoom. The above doesn't do much for me. Sure, the editing is nice, but it doesn't really show the car all that well.

BluKoo

17th Apr 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
7D, right. Would have been a bummer if you had a 5D only to find out your new lens didn't fit.

For real estate photography the 10-22 is a no brainer. I'd probably even have looked at the Sigma 8-16mm in stead to gain those extra 2mm.

I see what you're saying about the front end shot, but I can't help but wonder if you'll get too much of a "fish eye" effect shooting wide from that angle.
Then, that's the sort of experimentation I can sit here an envy you for.

The above diagram is nice, but that's not how it works at all, btw.

Haha, I always do plenty of research and read/watch reviews before making any purchases like that. the only thing I forgot about ordering was a 77mm CPL. My current one is only 72mm.
The main reason I went for the Canon rather than anything else is because if it's lack of distortion. Some say the corner sharpness is pretty good for such a wide lens too. Although I have seen a couple of complaints too, but what do you expect.

The diagram seems quite accurate. Watch this video. There's another comparison between 18 and 10mm. It's a big difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U3noymD0CsY#t=63s

quote:
That kind of proves my point exactly. You'd get a much better picture from 19ft with a closer zoom. The above doesn't do much for me. Sure, the editing is nice, but it doesn't really show the car all that well.

I prefer rig shots which show plenty of background too. It's far easier to get an interesting composition too.
Plus this lens isn't stuck at 10mm, I can zoom to 22mm remember so i've just given myself a much wider range.
I can also use the boom at 1.5m, 3m & 4.5m lengths too so I could get very close with the wide angle for some interesting effects.

[Edited on 17-04-2013 by BluKoo]
Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Some say the corner sharpness is pretty good for such a wide lens too. Although I have seen a couple of complaints too, but what do you expect.

The diagram seems quite accurate. Watch this video. There's another comparison between 18 and 10mm. It's a big difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=U3noymD0CsY#t=63s
Corner sharpness is never going to be perfect at those focal lengths, but I can't say that would bother me too much.

I didn't mean that the view area was incorrect, I meant that showing it as a pure crop of the same picture isn't how focal length works.
Stand 2 metres from a subject and take a picture, then move 10 metres back, zoom in and take the same picture. They don't look the same. Hence showing it as a crop, like the diagram above, is wrong.

I get the point it's trying to convey, though, I just think it's an incorrect and potentially confusing way of showing it.

Balling
Premium Member

17th Apr 13 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I prefer rig shots which show plenty of background too. It's far easier to get an interesting composition too.
Plus this lens isn't stuck at 10mm, I can zoom to 22mm remember so i've just given myself a much wider range.
I can also use the boom at 1.5m, 3m & 4.5m lengths too so I could get very close with the wide angle for some interesting effects.
Yeah, you'll have more freedom to play around and you'll probably not want to go much above 22mm in many cases anyway, so in that sense the lens makes perfect sense.

BluKoo

17th Apr 13 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I didn't mean that the view area was incorrect, I meant that showing it as a pure crop of the same picture isn't how focal length works.
Stand 2 metres from a subject and take a picture, then move 10 metres back, zoom in and take the same picture. They don't look the same. Hence showing it as a crop, like the diagram above, is wrong.

I get the point it's trying to convey, though, I just think it's an incorrect and potentially confusing way of showing it.

Ah right, yeah I get ya now.
BluKoo

20th Apr 13 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First shot with the rig. Excuse the dirtyness...

IMG_0165 by Murray 1986, on Flickr

And another...

IMG_0151 by Murray 1986, on Flickr

[Edited on 20-04-2013 by BluKoo]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Don't you just hate... 24 database queries in 0.0137961 seconds