corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What do you lot know about LPG?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What do you lot know about LPG?
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Apr 13 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm toying with the idea of having LPG fitted to the camper to replace a calor gas bottle (NOT TO RUN THE ENGINE AS THAT IS OF THE DIESEL VARIETY!). I've spied a little 10 litre LPG bottle on eBay that I'd quite like to mount under the van and then have piped to my Propex overnight heater and a little 2 ring hob.

Anyone have any experience/thoughts/ideas on cost/anything of any value to add to my thoughts?

Thanks!
pow
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I say bottle I really mean tank

[Edited on 24-04-2013 by pow]
Chris x

24th Apr 13 at 21:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Chris x
quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
What about using an eberspacher diesel fired heating unit which is plumbed to your main tank; they sip fuel and can be used even when the main engine isn't running?
+1!
BluKoo

24th Apr 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LPG stands for liquefied petroleum gas. Can you use a liquid to fuel your heater?
Or does it turn back to a gas when it's decompressed?
pow
Premium Member

24th Apr 13 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You would have to use a regulator to turn it back into gas BluKoo.

Chris - because that wouldn't sort the hob problem, wouldn't sort the problem that I had the Propex heater bought for me for Christmas and I'm fairly sure they have to use aux fuel tanks now. I can also buy LPG all over Europe so no buying different gas bottles for different countries
scottyp1989

24th Apr 13 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can fit LPG to a diesel, im no help to your problem tho sorry.
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Apr 13 at 23:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need LPG jets for the hob, we converted the one in the wagon. Couldn't do the oven though, had to but one which was already LPG.

Just either make sure your appliances can be converted or already run on it and you're away. Although the Euro stuff is a bit of a minefield as far as what is available. Probably also cheaper buying bottles for cooking than LPG from tanks for road fuel because I'm sure there will be duty if so?
Ste
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 02:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A few things, calor is LPG (red bottles)

Regulators don't turn liquid to gas. The regulator is there to maintain pressure. In a gas bottle, the gas is taken from the top where it is gas above the liquid.

In an lpg car, liquid gas is tapped from the bottom of the tank. It is then turned to gas in the evaporator.

If you have a camper hob/oven running off a bottle they will already have the correct jets.

If you want the flexibilty off filling up from a petrol station, you can buy bottles which can be filled off the pump bayonet.

This is one example http://www.safefill.co.uk/

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Ste
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 02:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If your bottle is blue (butane) you will need to change the jets if you're going onto propane

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
pow
Premium Member

25th Apr 13 at 08:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both the heater and hob can run off either.

Ian refills for a small gas bottle are like 12.49, plus the rental for each bottle in a different country! Lpg is cheaper from the pump and I like the space saving idea.

Need to speak to a fitter really
3CorsaMeal

25th Apr 13 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you get diesel heaters, not sure about the hob, looked in the heaters for the landrover 101 fc monster machine

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » What do you lot know about LPG? 24 database queries in 0.0133240 seconds