corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 172,182,197.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Clio 172,182,197.
BenC1985

User status: Offline
5th May 13 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking a while ago at getting either a 172 or 182 as its not much more for me to insure than my corsa. But my gf has now said she wants another car as she doesent like her 2008 corsa D design. She doesent do many miles in it but would just prefer something different, and try and trade her car in. Been looking at 197's this morning on autotrader and i reckon we could trade her corsa in and i could put the rest in to get a decent 197. She would be the registered owner and main insurer but id get to drive it at the weekends and use my corsa just for work and shows. Anyone had any experience with the 197's??? I know everyone loves the 172/182's but are the 197's any better for the extra money?
AndyCorsaSport

5th May 13 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No quicker, as they are heavier. Nice to drive, 6 speed box. Good on fuel. They can run shit when cold.

Starter motors are known for going, and also the key card system can play up, typical French electrics. Great handling though and plenty of power.

If you look at any don't forget cambelt is 70k an is quite expensive.
Jay

5th May 13 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They're a much nicer place to inside than the 172, haven't driven one though, I'd have one in a heartbeat.
CORSA NUT

5th May 13 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport
No quicker, as they are heavier. Nice to drive, 6 speed box. Good on fuel. They can run shit when cold.

Starter motors are known for going, and also the key card system can play up, typical French electrics. Great handling though and plenty of power.

The 197 is far worse on fuel Andy?!
AlexW

5th May 13 at 13:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends how you drive it!

I like the 197's, I'd have one.
CORSA NUT

5th May 13 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well you can say that about any car.

My 182 gave me 30 MPG or more around town easily and my mates 197 doesn't do more than 25. It's all about the weight and box.
gez bay

5th May 13 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a 200. Had a 172 before it.

The Clio 197/200 is a much nicer place to be sat than the 172/182's

Same pace, not any quicker due to being a bigger car. BUT, the brakes and handling are day and night difference, much better, I have so much more confidence driving my 200 fast than I did in the 172.
The 197/200 have a much nicer revving engine than the 172/182.
Mpg talk is rubbish, totally depends on how you drive, I'm currently averaging 34mpg in mine.

Recaro's and Cup pack are almost a must though, to keep more money in the car for resale. At the least, get the cup pack, seats can be added.
The cup pack has different suspension, quicker steering rack, thicker ARB and the red callipers

Awesome cars.

[Edited on 05-05-2013 by gez bay]
FlamingCorsa

5th May 13 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

34 to gallon. Thats amazing, I managed 33mpg once on a long run of motorway doing bout 70 all the time. But normal driving steady looking at 28ish.

Mum had the car for a week and said it was slow and had 22mpg, lol.

I have had mine for 3 years now, part from it being bad on fuel and 260 to tax for the year. It's not amazingly fast but such good fun on the road.

Mine has kw v1, exhaust, de cat, re map, spacers. Handling is so much funon the road or track, mine has done 7-8 track days and was given death all the time, no reliability issues to date. Most reliable car I have had. Only thing I have done is brake pads, tyres. That's it.

Keep fancing a change of car but have no reason to cos clio is so good.
Ojc

5th May 13 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as Iaz, fantastic car. I've owned mine two years now and was thinking about changing but no point as for the price won't find a better looking/handling car on the market.

I've had a couple issues with mine, first was something flicked up off the road and hit the fan while it was going and caused it to gauge the radiator so wasn't really a relabilty issue.

And now my clutch is going but not end of the world, 70,000 miles on clock and driven hard.

If you are getting one check for crunching into gear, 3rd usually as indication of fucked box. Can get them off eBay at moment for 400 quid brand new(need new clutch and slave cylinder as well) so factor into price when buying.
gez bay

5th May 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any excuse for a pic

Loving my recent white speedlines

corsav6_mut

5th May 13 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm currently averaging 24 mpg that's mixed driving if you do town driving don't expect much more than 22 tbh.

The gearboxes are known for going but its very hit and miss much like the VXR M32 box. There's not much you can really do to prevent it.

Cup pack is a matter of choice as well as the ride is quite harsh but the should be expected on the style of car anyway.

Iv had mine about 9 months and I cant see me selling it for many years as I don't think anything will be able to compete with it.

gez bay

5th May 13 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had my exactly a year now, it's a 2012.

Just had my renewal through, £500 at 22, they're good on insurance if you've got a clean licence
BenC1985

5th May 13 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love both of them. In my eyes it would have to be white or black with the cup pack and recaros. I wont get to drive it much if we go for it as i am keeping the corsa for my daily then i will take the clio out at weekends and evenings.
0775kieran

5th May 13 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All noise not enough power.
gez bay

5th May 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hardly noisy??? They're silent standard

gez bay

5th May 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why wouldn't you consider a N/A 2.0L with 200hp standard not enough power?

You must own an Evo or something?

Nothing ever has enough power, people are TT'ing ferrari's and Lambo's.

BenC1985

5th May 13 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldnt say nearly 200hp in a small hatch wasent enough. Anyway i just got a quote with 6 points for a 197 cup and it came out at £490 a year. But as i said in original post my gf wanted to trade her car in and i may put the rest in to get one. So she will be the main insurer and because shes not working at the min it will cost her nearly double on insurance. Lol We will have to wait and see what happens in the near future.
AndyCorsaSport

5th May 13 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
quote:
Originally posted by AndyCorsaSport

The 197 is far worse on fuel Andy?!

I never thought they were that bad?? My bad.
0775kieran

6th May 13 at 00:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you been in a proper 197 like this one all others feel slow believe me, this is 305bhp.

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/litchy1/media/IMG_0801_zpsa630bd0c.jpg.html
Ojc

6th May 13 at 06:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's nice, my 197 is as fast as a standard Focus ST. I'd say that's fast enough.
Toby
Premium Member

6th May 13 at 07:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother has an r27 and its a great car. There's a few with issues so just make sure you check as some can be expensive:
Recaros- if your lucky enough to find one with them chances are they will be worn unless replaced under warranty.
Steering racks - check for play on full lock, they re getting easier/cheaper to source but a bitch to fit. Most people go for the 200 cup rack as its slightly shorter thn the 197.
Poor brakes - easy fix, usually seized calliper or seized pads in the calliper, strip down, clean and regrease is the cure.
Kangerooing - quite. Common issue when cold on earlier cars before they got a revised map. I think it's an anti stall feature that kicks in and it jumps the revs all over.
Gearboxes - check for whines or excessive play, again this is rare to find issues here but they have before.

Other thigs to remember include belts and mods. Get the belts with OEM parts and most 197s will now be due or late sobthenchances are you will need to do it and believe me I've seen a few clios (not just RS models) snap belts. Also wise to do the water pump at the same time. Renault will quote you over a grand but expect to pay 450-550 for somebody that knows what they are doing with OEM parts.

try to avoid anything with an aftermarket induction kit as they don't bode we'll on these cars and if it has an after market exhaust check for flat spots through the rev range. As these engines are so highly strung already any slight difference without a map can effect the running of the engine.

I love his car so much fun and the handling charactistics is not only superb but also so fun. Makes me miss having a hot hatch and it's a great looking car. My other brother loves it so much we are off looking at r26's next weekend.
FlamingCorsa

6th May 13 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 0775kieran
When you been in a proper 197 like this one all others feel slow believe me, this is 305bhp.

http://s207.photobucket.com/user/litchy1/media/IMG_0801_zpsa630bd0c.jpg.html

Bet that car is awesome! I know wot u mean bout a 197 feeling almost slow ish but that's part of the fun u get to drive it really hard and its rewarding. And on set of twisty corners a 305hp one would be no quicker, and less more fun cos harder to handle the power, that 305hp clio on track would be amazing tho.

I went from a vx220 with 290 hp to my clio. (So notcibly quicker than a clio with 305hp) Vx got to 60 in almost haft the time. But on normal british roads given the choice I would pick the clio. To drive vx quick I always felt like I was either gonna loose licence. Was to quick to drive properly on uk roads!

eckers90

6th May 13 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mates works for renault, absolutely loves the way these drive, says theyre much better than the megane 250. Apparently a great little car,
also watch this.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC0YvtcFNHw
0775kieran

6th May 13 at 14:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
My brother has an r27 and its a great car. There's a few with issues so just make sure you check as some can be expensive:
Recaros- if your lucky enough to find one with them chances are they will be worn unless replaced under warranty.
Steering racks - check for play on full lock, they re getting easier/cheaper to source but a bitch to fit. Most people go for the 200 cup rack as its slightly shorter thn the 197.
Poor brakes - easy fix, usually seized calliper or seized pads in the calliper, strip down, clean and regrease is the cure.
Kangerooing - quite. Common issue when cold on earlier cars before they got a revised map. I think it's an anti stall feature that kicks in and it jumps the revs all over.
Gearboxes - check for whines or excessive play, again this is rare to find issues here but they have before.

Other thigs to remember include belts and mods. Get the belts with OEM parts and most 197s will now be due or late sobthenchances are you will need to do it and believe me I've seen a few clios (not just RS models) snap belts. Also wise to do the water pump at the same time. Renault will quote you over a grand but expect to pay 450-550 for somebody that knows what they are doing with OEM parts.

try to avoid anything with an aftermarket induction kit as they don't bode we'll on these cars and if it has an after market exhaust check for flat spots through the rev range. As these engines are so highly strung already any slight difference without a map can effect the running of the engine.

I love his car so much fun and the handling charactistics is not only superb but also so fun. Makes me miss having a hot hatch and it's a great looking car. My other brother loves it so much we are off looking at r26's next weekend.

Renault use a gates cambelt kit anyway.

[Edited on 06-05-2013 by 0775kieran]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Clio 172,182,197. 23 database queries in 0.0163920 seconds