corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Informing neighbour of shed/garage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Informing neighbour of shed/garage
Graeme
Premium Member

User status: Offline
12th May 13 at 23:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the back of my garage I have a large concrete bit that I want up build a shed.

It's 4.7m long by 2.2m wide. I'm going to make it out of wood and its not a permanent structure and I've looked into it and pretty sure I don't need planning but the issue is as followed;

One side backs onto next doors fence and its only a 5ft fence panel. The shed it about 7ft. The area that it will sort of overlook is where they have a patio and a extension on there house. The missus says I should tell them my plans just to let them know but I don't want him to say he doesn't like the idea as I'm gona build it anyway and then him being an arse.

So 2 questions:

A) shall I speak to him about it first?

B) has he got any rights if I was to build it as where it is in relation to his patio?

baza31

13th May 13 at 07:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

which side runs to neighbor ? you will have to run a gutter so water doesnt run off your roof onto his patio . Id just go see him and tell him your putting a shed up. Will you be blocking light to their patio or windows? if so that might be an issue
AndyKent

13th May 13 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Everyone like to be told first. Easier to knock his door now than have him knock yours later.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 15:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

meh i'd just do it. You dont need planning so they can gtf
Ben G

13th May 13 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just go and inform him of what will be going on.

Don't ask if it's ok as it doesn't matter what he thinks
Rob_Quads

13th May 13 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pop over with a bottle of beer/wine and just let them know you are going to be building the garage - few details of it and hope they don't get disturbed at all during the building of it.

Technically there probably isn't much they can do about it but always good to have the neighbours on-side if you can.
Daniel_Corsa
Premium Member

13th May 13 at 22:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just pop round or catch them in drive / garden and tell them you'll be starting to build something in the garden, hopefully keep noise / disturbance to a minimum.

April '06' Corsasport Feature Car | Aug '08' Total Vauxhall Feature Car | Spring '09' Fast Car Feature Car
Graeme
Premium Member

14th May 13 at 17:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Told him yesterday that I'm building a shed behind my garage and if he wanted the coal bunker which I have there. Knew he wouldn't want it but was something to say.

He asked me how big its gona be and kind of Erm lied. Just said not to big. Seemed ok but like he says he can't really do much.
Russ

14th May 13 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
Told him yesterday that I'm building a shed behind my garage and if he wanted the coal bunker which I have there. Knew he wouldn't want it but was something to say.

He asked me how big its gona be and kind of Erm lied. Just said not to big. Seemed ok but like he says he can't really do much.
jonnieboy

15th May 13 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

have you got in touch with the local council regarding rules for building a none permenant structure?

even though you don't need planning permission, you may still have local rule to adhere to

for instance, my council have told me that when I build my garage, it has to be X distance from any ajoining fence, and a maximum height it has to be below.

New Poll