corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cleaning old floor tiles

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cleaning old floor tiles
RichR
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th May 13 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In a bid to reduce the amount of maintenance I have to do on the rentals, I pulled up the carpet in the hallway the other day to find that it has the original quarry tile flooring running all the way back to the stairs.

If I can clean this up sufficiently, it'll mean not having to clean/replace the carpet in the entrance again. It has years of grime and what appears to be the underlay which has turned to a gooey, sticky mess.

Any advice on cleaning it up? Products to use etc.
RichR
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 12:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its all intact and none of the tiles are broken, although one or two are loose
Ad Blue B

15th May 13 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would steam cleaning be an option?
RichR
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 12:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, could be. Would that get under the adhesive/sticky/gluey mess? I was thinking of using an acetone or panel wipe/degreaser to lift it
Whittie

15th May 13 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd personally soak in some kind of degreaser overnight, and see what that does before steaming. Might lift a lot and save work by doing it that way.
Brett
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RichR
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no risk to the tiles with them being quarry tiles - porous?
Brett
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 12:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe, but one guy in this thread seems to know what he's on about http://www.tilersforums.co.uk/tile-cleaning-restoration/21308-restoring-90-year-old-terra-cotta.html
Gary
Premium Member

15th May 13 at 14:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

patio cleaner
Robin
Premium Member

22nd May 13 at 12:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My sister used Jeyes fluid, elbow grease, clean water and a lot if time, then semi-regularly treats them with linseed oil.
smcGSI16V

24th May 13 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try some brick acid.
Bprice91

25th May 13 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work in a tile shop and theres two types of cleaner that id sell for that type of floor the brand is Lithofin one is called Lithofin MN Power-Clean which is aimed at all types of natural/Porous tiles and the other is called Lithofin FZ Intensive Cleaner which is a really strong dirt,Oil and grease remover might be worth giving one of them a go
RichR
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All we've done so far is scrape off the old adhesive and steam clean it and it's come up like this so far. Not in perfect condition as a couple of tiles are cracked but it should be alright once re-grouted and sealed. Quite happy with the results

monkeytwizzel

31st May 13 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had simular in old 1910 house,They looked nice when cleaned but frecking cold in winter.

New Poll