corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures]

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures]
Gaz

User status: Offline
30th May 13 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Many thanks for all your advice guys. I've said ill buy the little guy providing its not already sold.

Rather excited at this, never owned a reptile before.
marklawton

30th May 13 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by rossnomore
quote:
Originally posted by marklawton
i use to have one years ago. probably the easyiest reptile to look after. long as you have the heating right then its easy peasy.
ive got a bearded dragon now which ive owned for the past 13 years
once she pops her clogs i think iam going to get a pair of water dragons

Water Dragons are awesome but hard to keep. A friend of mine had two and they both died within a year.

[Edited on 30-05-2013 by rossnomore]

yeah not much harder to look after as ive looked into it. ive had my bearded dragon for 13 years so must be doing something right. just means ill have to sell my viv and buy a nice tall one for them to be able to climb etc
rossnomore

30th May 13 at 14:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they're just more prone to health issues
baza31

30th May 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ad Blue B
quote:
Originally posted by baza31
totally different lizzard but my friend had a monitor lizzard , was huge. Didnt look like the sort of thing that would be legal to own .

Mrs wanted one next as we saw a 5-6 week old one the other day, must have been about 5-6 inches long, then i checked on google about them, some can grow up to 7-8 foot! no chance haha!

His was about 5 foot , fucking massive .it didn't do much but wander around but that's probably for best, wouldn't fancy one biting me. Creeped me out when it used to come near. Kind of surreal seeing somethin
Gaz

31st May 13 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So it's all sorted for tomorrow, picking him up at 9am and then a quick dash home to get him set up and warm again.

excited
_Allan_

31st May 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mrs *has a bearded dragon

*is
Gaz

1st Jun 13 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And so here he is, the previous owner fed him on mealworm as his staple meal which I've been told is a no no.

So I have been out and bought hoppers, jesus christ they can jump further than I thought!

Anyway, can anyone who is familiar with Gecko's just give me some confidence that his tail is a healthy (but admittantly on the skinnier side)?

Mattb

1st Jun 13 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mealworms are ok as long as its a small lizard. The reasoning is if they swallow them whole without biting and killing them, they can burrow out of the stomache....

My beardy is on a diet of dandelion leaves, salad, Morio worms, Feeder cockroaches, Fruit beetle grub and Locust. She has bitten me a few times, but normally if she hasnt eaten in a while..

I wont have crickets in the house as they are so fricking noisy (even the supposedly silent browns.. )

Theres pleny of advise around on forums, but some of it is a load of crap. For example i would be given abuse by many as i keep my beardy on Calci sand - according to the internet she will die or should be dead..

Best bet is to find a local reptile shop - that only sells reptiles and the such (not pets at home, or marine places etc) They will be best suited to give any advise you may need

I'll add some pics of my beardy too..

a little dark, but i can never seem to get a decent one of her viv...

craig55

1st Jun 13 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks healthy enough to me
Gaz

1st Jun 13 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matt, I got this info from two local shops, one simply a reptile shop and the other a very enthusiastic universal animal shop which is actually in a garden centre.

I've bought a few hoppers, and feed him 2 for today, one he has eaten already and the other is around his vivairum... Any idea on how long I should leave it before fishing it back out ? I don't want it attacking my gecko's tail which I suppose to happen.

Also, I have give him a treat of a few waxworms as he will have been a little stressed in transit.
craig55

1st Jun 13 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Usally as much as they want to eat in 15mins although i usally just limit to what i put in as mins a greedy bitch try not to use wax worms to often and they will just eat them as treats and scoff whatever you put in
Gaz

1st Jun 13 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and is that once a day ? (any specific time you found best?)
craig55

1st Jun 13 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doing mine every 4 days at the moment as shes got fat usally do every 2 to 3 days and just put 3 to 4 crickets in depending on her intrest in them

And just feed her in the evening

[Edited on 01-06-2013 by craig55]
Gaz

1st Jun 13 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you just put the dusted cricket back in the (food) tub?

[Edited on 01-06-2013 by Gaz]
craig55

1st Jun 13 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes i usally dust them all when i first get them it wont hurt
Gaz

1st Jun 13 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mattb

2nd Jun 13 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gaz

2nd Jun 13 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a few video's of him tonight eating. I've bought the hoppers and was given some advice to remove the back legs to help him get a taste for hunting as he has mainly been brought up on mealworm. he's had about 6-7 tonight before he started to take a disinterest. He has one waxworm in his bowl for overnight (although I may chuck a second in as no local shops have any live mealworm until tuesday)
Gaz

2nd Jun 13 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://youtu.be/-oBp61esoAM

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Reptiles (Geckos) - advice? [now purchased with pictures] 23 database queries in 0.0131049 seconds