corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Wiring a garage to run off a generator

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring a garage to run off a generator
blebo

User status: Offline
16th Jun 13 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do I go about this?

I will be running a 2.5kw or 3kw, I can't remember without checking, portable generator that will be sitting outside the garage when in use.

I was thinking about running sockets around the wall for easiness rather than having trialling cables from the generator and installing a few lights so I can see what's happening.

Is it a case of setting up a garage RCD consumer unit with two circuits and connecting the 'mains' input to the generator via a 13amp plug?.

Should it also be earthed to an earthing rod?

I've tried goggling but cant get a straight forward answer as most seem to be from Americans hard-wiring backup generators for hurricanes etc.

The generator will only be used to power the lights, a radio and a rotary polisher, so nothing too strenuous

Jay

16th Jun 13 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant you run a cable from the house?
blebo

16th Jun 13 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No its about 5 miles away. Its an unserviced lockup - Sorry should have said
ash_corsa

17th Jun 13 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd do as you say, install the sockets and lights as normal, fed from a small consumer unit with 30ma rcd protection.
If the genny is portable I'd wire a 2.5mm SY flex from the incoming isolator in the consumer unit to a 16a 3pin commando plug and plug this into the generator when in use.
You will require a fixed earth spike

New Poll