corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Wembley Song

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wembley Song
Hammer

User status: Offline
24th Jun 13 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CoWr0jvxnM

For the record what a fucking gig and Wembley Stadium is incredible, going to try get tickets for Scotland/England now. Must be some place to watch football.
Nath

24th Jun 13 at 06:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing that still gets me about wembley is the sheer size of it. It's just enormous.
Jamie Walby

24th Jun 13 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Thing that still gets me about wembley is the sheer size of it. It's just enormous.

Its vast isnt it
JonnyJ

24th Jun 13 at 09:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CoWr0jvxnM

Must be some place to watch football.

lol.

Just no. Unless youre into the sterilised, corporate, face painted, happy clapping brand of modern football the stadium epitomises. Its just The Emirates with an extra tier, there is absoloutely nothing special about it.
Robbo

24th Jun 13 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually, the Ireland match had a fantastic atmosphere and I expect the Scotland match will too.

The size of it always amazes me, even having been in the San Siro and Bernabeu recently!

Its also absolutely nothing like the Emirates
JonnyJ

24th Jun 13 at 09:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both souless bowl stadium designs
mwg

24th Jun 13 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you and John not got over your bumming of The Killers yet?
JonnyJ

24th Jun 13 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In defence of Hammer i've no doubt that it hosted a good gig. Everyone is there to go nuts, sing, dance etc. So I'm sure a great time was had, but its just not a football supporters stadium. Its a stadium designed for corporate suits, thats just the way it is. You go to a football match there and its a different experience altogether. First of all you'll standup and some cunt will tell you to sit down, because "they cant see and we paid £xx for these tickets" or if they dont, some jumped up bouncer will. Secondly its almost impossible to get a song going for good amounts of time, because there is no "kop" so to speak at Wembley, they should have put some thought process into the design and had one stand bigger than the others behind one of the goals, an area where the people who like to sing congregate, instead you're all mixed in with the middle class, family types who have "come to see Frank Lampard". And then you've got the farcical situation of the amount of seats that dont actually go to fans and instead corporate sponsors, who couldnt give to shiny shits about the match, leaving thousands of empty seats during a game and a sour taste in the mouth.

And we paid £800m for that. £800,000,000. For a guy to draw a squared of oval and put a shitty arch over it and thats why we have the FA Cup Semi finals being played there, why at massive events like the CL final it can only give fans of the teams participating only got 25,000 each and pay nearly 3 figures for tickets for the privilege.

Bravo FA. A wonderful football stadium you've built there. A nation is proud. Not.
AlexSXI

24th Jun 13 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jonny, I'm sure I am as much of a stand on a terrace with a balti pie and singing type supporter as you, but I disagree, have you done any of the corporate packages at Wembley?

I think they're immense, and despite the cost of the place, I think its the best stadium in the world definitely.

I had Club Wembley tickets for Spurs v Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final, and I thought inside the ground (middle tier) was just like being in the lower or upper tier with the actual fans, the atmosphere was fantastic. The added bonus was the better hospitality before and after the game.

I had the same seats for Spain v England friendly and didn't enjoy it quite as much but I suppose that's just international football etc.

I agree about the amount of seats going to corporates etc is wrong, but its like that everywhere now including in all finals across the world. And if you try hard enough you can get the extra tickets.
JonnyJ

24th Jun 13 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont go to a football match to be wined and dined. I go to watch football and get pissed with my mates.

Whats so good about these corporate packages out of interest? From a football supporters point of view.

I've been in the Premium seat area (or whatever its called, the middle tier) before, not through choice, but because my mate booked the tickets (Luton v Scunny) and aside from the queues been shorter to get ripped off for a shitty pint of Carlsberg in a plaggy cup and padded seats (LOL) it was just as shit as the rest of the times I'd been

[Edited on 24-06-2013 by JonnyJ]
AlexSXI

24th Jun 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same here, but once or twice a season is nice. And when its a game at Wembley, it usually means its important like a final, so I'd rather be sober, have a good view and actually take in the game and remember it!

You seem like you won't be convinced haha! Got a few mates like that, and one who is an absolute die hard ColU fan but hasn't been to a home since 2006 (last game at Layer Road) because he doesn't 'like the look' of the new ground!
JonnyJ

24th Jun 13 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I dont think we'll ever agree. Im completely the opposite for an important match like a final, I'd want to be with the fans I'd spent all season with on the terraces, the ones who'd been there through the bad and good times, experiencing all the emotions with them on a important day. Not with some waiter asking me which wine I'd like with my pretentious meal. I couldnt think of a worse place to be when its an important match for your club. Only time i could maybe do it would be for a match i didnt care about, but then I'd be asking myself why I'd be spending that much on something that i wasnt interested in.

I think we're different types of football fans mate

Although i wouldnt do it myself, i can see why your mate would be like that, although i havent been CUFC new ground looks horrendous and totally bland, dearth of any atmosphere whatsoever. Layer Road was old skool, compact, i bet it could get absolutely rocking. I know of a few York fans that have said they'll stop going when we leave BC for a stadium in a shopping centre/industrial estate in 3 years time.
AlexSXI

24th Jun 13 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree to an extent definitely.

I'd still love to stand on a terrace, but over the last 4/5 years at ColU and at WHL watching Spurs I've always headed for the area with the atmosphere, but inevitably, that area is most harassed by stewards saying sit down and police filming etc. And in the last year or two, I've reached a stage where I just think, fuck having that hassle all game, I may aswell pay more, sit in better seats and enjoy the game with no hassle.

Luckily some mates agree and come and sit on the side and we have some good banter, others persist in trying to get an atmosphere going in the noiser areas but this had led to some getting in trouble, and others don't bother at all anymore for a variety of reasons.

Can't beat an away day though, all stood up, drinking from very early etc.
Hammer

24th Jun 13 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never realised the depth of feeling towards it

For me personally standing on the pitch and looking around I have never been as impressed as I was at Wembley in any other stadium I've been in. It's a level above; Celtic Park, Hampden, Camp Nou, Murrayfield and a good few others for being physically imposing.

It may be shit for atmosphere but I'll find that out for myself. I know a Celtic player fairly well and he played there last season, he was also in awe walking out onto the turf.
Toby
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 06:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed with Jonny mostly. It's impressive but does t have any character to it, but how does a stadium get character?
Steve
Premium Member

25th Jun 13 at 07:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A good start would be to ban the brass band
Robbo

25th Jun 13 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
I never realised the depth of feeling towards it

For me personally standing on the pitch and looking around I have never been as impressed as I was at Wembley in any other stadium I've been in. It's a level above; Celtic Park, Hampden, Camp Nou, Murrayfield and a good few others for being physically imposing.

It may be shit for atmosphere but I'll find that out for myself. I know a Celtic player fairly well and he played there last season, he was also in awe walking out onto the turf.
its only the internationals where the atmosphere is hit and miss, but sorry thats just modern football. England dont currently play football to a levle of quality that will attract 90k proper fans and so you end up with a lot of foreign visitors (i usually take 3/4 with me from work to experience it) and more often than not, mixed fans in some sections. for club games where they sell out (allocation issues aside, thats nothing to do with wembley and everything to do with the associations), its an amazing atmosphere. no its not the same as the san siro or bernabeu or camp nou because this stadium is 6 years old and they are 60+ years - that comes through hictory etc.

In Feb I was at the San Siro on the Sunday (for the first time) and Wembley the following Weds for the Brazil game (rfor the umpteenth time) and i still had that same feelign of awe inside Wembley at the sheer size of it. Atmosphere was pretty good for that game tbf, and the ireland game
Robbo

25th Jun 13 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
A good start would be to ban the brass band
the ones that start the vast majority of the singing?
JonnyJ

25th Jun 13 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Agreed with Jonny mostly. It's impressive but does t have any character to it, but how does a stadium get character?

Its tough with new stadiums but not impossible with a bit of creativity. Went to Rotherham's new ground last season and thought it looked mint with its funky roof design, floodlights, and lighting. Not to mention it was nice a steeply banked so the atmosphere was mint.

Wembley should have been the best looking stadium in the land, especially for the outrageous cost, they could have made the design reflect some classic english arctitecture or anything but instead its just a big boring bowl, no thought went into that design at all and to get rid of the twin towers was criminal, they could have easily incorporated them into the design or at least given them a modern twist.

Wembley is going to look especially dated well before it should've been. Suppose it has an arch though. Which is spectacular for all of 5 minutes. Oh and its corporate facilities are meant to be top notch, so i suppose it met its only brief criteria.

[Edited on 25-06-2013 by JonnyJ]
Hammer

25th Jun 13 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get the feeling your issue isn't with Wembley and is entirely with the corporate focussed, money driven football that the national game has become.

I agree with you on many of those points but it doesn't detract from the fact Wembley Stadium is a fucking epic building
JonnyJ

25th Jun 13 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I really dont think it is. Its a pretty stadard stadium at international level, other than the fact its big, which it would have to be to hold 90k, what else makes it stand out from the crowd?

Ill admit i was wowed by the size when i first went but once you were over that, which takes about an hour, i could have been at any other bowl in the world

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Wembley Song 24 database queries in 0.0104361 seconds