corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Laptop diagnostics

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Laptop diagnostics
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Aug 13 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone on here use a laptop for diagnostics?

If so what programmes do you use? And what cables too?

Obviously there's the likes of vag-com for vag's
IPNA for bmw's
And ids for fords and Mazda

What else do people use and do you use specific cables for each car or do you have a universal cable?
Jambo

27th Aug 13 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If it is for your mini that you want diagnostics, then get this:

http://bmtechnic.co.uk/
Simon_16v

27th Aug 13 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there any diagnostic software that works with the vagcom/vcds cables other than vagcom/vcds?

I've found both of my cheap cables and want to use them for my Clio etc
Munchie

27th Aug 13 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about OBD2 dongles bluetooth dongles from Ebay? I am yet to check this!
pow
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use a bluetooth ODB2 and Torque with my Andriod phone, but it only does back EML fault codes. It's proved useless on my Mum's merc that is throwing all sorts of error codes at the moment!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's for general workshop use jambo. Got a dirt cheap laptop that was broke and had it fixed so going to use it for general diagnostics for all sorts of cars

But that BMW one I have just ordered as its exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Thanks buddy
Jambo

27th Aug 13 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I use it on my car and Shreks car, as well as my bosses Mini. Works a treat, there's lots of versions of it kicking around the web but this is specifically programmed so you don't need a NASA work placement to install it, it will run and work fine as it has been tested and they offer after sales help too! I've used it and they where a great helps

AlexW

27th Aug 13 at 21:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Is there any diagnostic software that works with the vagcom/vcds cables other than vagcom/vcds?

Problem with Renaults is they need renault specific code readers, they dont put out generic OBD codes.

Basically, for the clio, get something specific.

Relevent to this thread.... At work we have a very expensive handheld, that I forget the name of now, cost us about £1500 but has paid for it self so many times over, can read everything from Merc's to Renaults to Fords and everything else inbetween.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no issues using a kiwi wifi odb reader with my megane reading codes.

Clip is the vagcom of the Renault world.
Simon_16v

27th Aug 13 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've used that "Torque" app and bluetooth OBD for reading codes on the Clio before as well.

AFAIK they all use generic diagnostic codes, it's just other features like turning airbags on/off that need to be manufacturer specific
pow
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 21:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
quote:

Problem with Renaults is they need renault specific code readers, they dont put out generic OBD codes.

Relevent to this thread.... At work we have a very expensive handheld, that I forget the name of now, cost us about £1500 but has paid for it self so many times over, can read everything from Merc's to Renaults to Fords and everything else inbetween.

By law since about 2001 all cars have to output the same codes for faults
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

27th Aug 13 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:
Originally posted by AlexW
quote:

As above, hence the eobd

Also we have a snap on diagnostic machine. But there's some things it won't do, plus things like vag com go into more detail and allow you to programme and re program things properly

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
I use it on my car and Shreks car, as well as my bosses Mini. Works a treat, there's lots of versions of it kicking around the web but this is specifically programmed so you don't need a NASA work placement to install it, it will run and work fine as it has been tested and they offer after sales help too! I've used it and they where a great helps

Brilliant. Thanks buddy. As I say. I've ordered one so it should be here in the next few days
AlexW

28th Aug 13 at 07:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow

I should word what I said differently, While you can get a normal P code from a renault, it will send you in the wrong direction. Its a well known fact.

Flaffy, if you want to get the vagcom kind of stuff for every manufactor you're going to end up spending a lot of money buying vagcom/CLIP/Tech 2 etc.

If you have a decent snap on unit, thats all you should need!
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

28th Aug 13 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do have a decent snap on equipment yes. But as I say. I'd rather 1) learn how to use the proper equipment as another thing to add to the cv and further myself. And 2) I'd trust using a BMW software to re programme a gearbox on a BMW than a snap on. If you get me? Plus it can do other things like Virginise products and a snap on can't.
Welsh Dan

28th Aug 13 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have the BM Technic software too. Comes with INPA, GT1, DIS etc. Handy bit of kit.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

29th Aug 13 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've got Renault Clip which you need laptop with windows xp to run
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

30th Aug 13 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

does it have to be xp or is it xp and above?

Ive got quite a little collection going since mentioning this thread haha
Welsh Dan

30th Aug 13 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not used Renault Clip, but a few of the BMW ones need Windows XP. I believe you can get around it by running a virtual machine, but don't ask me how.
Dan
Premium Member

1st Sep 13 at 16:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely using things like vagcom/tech 2 etc commercially would be entering a whole world of legal issues?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

1st Sep 13 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't mind buying a proper copy of it?
Dan
Premium Member

1st Sep 13 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is that even possible? Id imagine software to be mega bucks in the car world too?

I know when we priced up Volvo vcads for trucks, it was something like 10k upfront, followed by monthly subscriptions of over 1k :/

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
John

1st Sep 13 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VCDS is a couple of hundred quid, opcom about the same.

An actual tech2 would be thousands.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd Sep 13 at 10:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FlaFFy_91
quote:
Originally posted by Tom J

does it have to be xp or is it xp and above?

Ive got quite a little collection going since mentioning this thread haha

yes wont work on anything newer

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Laptop diagnostics 24 database queries in 0.0163751 seconds