corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Syncing iOS with some form of hosted storage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Syncing iOS with some form of hosted storage
John

User status: Offline
17th Oct 13 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to store files on a server somewhere, accessed via webdav probably. Need to view and edit these on an iPad (and windows devices, which is much easier).

Seems to be immensely difficult for something which is supposed to be designed with ease of use at the forefront.

I know the iWork suite will connect to webdav but it's doesn't save back to the remote folder automatically.

There are a couple of office apps which might do it, but don't want to buy them all to find out.

Anyone got any ideas?
Brett
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 10:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skydrive?
John

17th Oct 13 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Preferably need to host the files ourselves unless it's absolutely amazing.

Google drive does a not bad job of it but there isn't a way to add other storage as far as I can see.
Brett
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 11:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iPads eh
John

17th Oct 13 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's my exact feelings on it. Everybody always bleating on about how good it all is but any time I try to actually get anything done in real life, I can't.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 11:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What file types are they?
John

17th Oct 13 at 11:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Word/excel/powerpoint for the most part.
Rob_Quads

17th Oct 13 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

QuickOffice although I think it relies on your files being in google drive - https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/quickoffice/id578386521?mt=8

CloudOn - More options for storage https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id474025452?mt=8

[Edited on 17-10-2013 by Rob_Quads]
pow
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 13:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's my exact feelings on it. Everybody always bleating on about how good it all is but any time I try to actually get anything done in real life, I can't.

This this this this this this this this this this.

Can you not use an app like file browser/
John

17th Oct 13 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quickoffice doesn't quite do what I need. I had cloudon installed for something else, just trying that again.

You get file browser type apps but there is no integration between that and the apps that view/edit the files. There is a bit of a rigmarole of saving in the way X app wants you to, then sending that saved file back to your file browser app, which then uploads it.
John

17th Oct 13 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't use cloud on to connect to webdav, only the listed servers, dropbox, google, skydrive etc.
Balling
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 14:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Seems to be immensely difficult for something which is supposed to be designed with ease of use at the forefront.
That you want it to do something it isn't intended to do has nothing to do with the products ease of use, to be fair.

Sounds to me like you have the wrong tool for the job in this case.

John

17th Oct 13 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I obviously didn't pick the tool.

I wouldn't say it's nothing to do with it's ease of use though, accessing some files in an intuitive way, using any of a variety of industry standards? Surely that's a bad thing they don't easily support that?

Anyway, outside of my disgust of Apple, I do actually need an eventual solution to the problem.

Polaris Office or Office2 HD seem to be possibilities, anyone got them?
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RDP onto terminal server maybe San easy option.
John

17th Oct 13 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Naa too complicated for this situation. Think they'll just have to deal with it being crap.

New Poll