corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is it illegal to work on cars on a private road?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it illegal to work on cars on a private road?
edd1.0

User status: Offline
16th Oct 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello , the time has come for me to do a business plan for my university work and since I used to be a mechanic I thought the motor industry is the best shout for my business idea.

The idea needs to have a unique selling point , which would be offering a mobile service to do level 2 style work ( tyres ,exhausts , breaks etc. )

If the 'company' was to be created , would there be laws stopping them from operating this service on public land?

I presume that it would be fine for them to do it on privately owned driveways etc?

Any help would be appreciated or just a point into the right direction.
chrisritch

16th Oct 13 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by edd1.0
Hello , the time has come for me to do a business plan for my university work and since I used to be a mechanic I thought the motor industry is the best shout for my business idea.

The idea needs to have a unique selling point , which would be offering a mobile service to do level 2 style work ( tyres ,exhausts , breaks etc. )

If the 'company' was to be created , would there be laws stopping them from operating this service on public land?

I presume that it would be fine for them to do it on privately owned driveways etc?

Any help would be appreciated or just a point into the right direction.

The AA do it so surely not illegal?
edd1.0

16th Oct 13 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

owh yeah so they do , for some reason I thought they just recovered cars

thanks , my post now looks stupid haha

I will try find what sort of insurance they need

[Edited on 16-10-2013 by edd1.0]
Ben G

16th Oct 13 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Public liability insurance and all that jazz probably.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th Oct 13 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The fleet cars at work have tyres changed in the car park and on the road

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Ian
Site Administrator

16th Oct 13 at 20:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sure my mum and dad have something in their lease which prevents you parking a commercial vehicle outside, might also say something about working on cars. Not sure which law or why but I know even though its a private residence owned outright they still have things like that in there somewhere.

In that respect driveways may be worse than highways. Certainly wouldn't like to try it in my car park at the flat, management company would have a letter out quicker than you can say puncture repair.

Also don't forget AA/RAC/etc. on the most part will be performing recovery and emergency repair. Not sure what you are proposing would fall in to that category. I know there are certain dispensations in Road Traffic act where you're doing things like towing or driving otherwise than in accordance with a licence that you're exempt if its a recovery situation. Need to check the same isn't true for what you're wanting to do.

Also - mobile exhaust fitting? No ramp I assume? Probably a reason why people don't already do it?
edd1.0

16th Oct 13 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for all your help , Ian i will certainly look into it.

The main reason i said stuff like that is for when the cars are not safe to drive , so by doing it mobile it would save recovery charges etc. My first idea was to have a pure mobile garage service but as a business idea it is not that good as mechanics would be working in poor conditions etc. But as a USP if a car was to have bald tyres , no brakes or something which would make the car unsafe or unable to drive then it could be a solution
Corsa_Sport21

16th Oct 13 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im sorry but business plan, used to be a mechanic, and you refer to them as "breaks".

Not a very good start.
Andrew

16th Oct 13 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Certainly wouldn't like to try it in my car park at the flat, management company would have a letter out quicker than you can say puncture repair.

And a bill for the letter they have sent you.

Absolute nightmare the management company at my gaff!
edd1.0

16th Oct 13 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My bad I was typing in a rush , spelling isn't my strongest point , but that was a genuine mistake.
Jay

16th Oct 13 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Certainly wouldn't like to try it in my car park at the flat, management company would have a letter out quicker than you can say puncture repair.

Wish I had that problem I can't get hold of ours!
Ricky352

17th Oct 13 at 00:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd just look up some employers liability insurance as already said and state that it covers you. Surely the person marking it won't look that far into it.

In the last year of my degree my business plan was to buy classics without MOT, fix them up and then sell them for a profit lol
davegreen
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 05:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there's already loads of mobile mechanic service's around. doing all the work you have listed and more. so hardly going to be a unique selling point. still a good service to provide as it save people having to take their cars in to have repairs done.
corsadonk
Premium Member

17th Oct 13 at 06:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like Dave said really.
Andrew

18th Oct 13 at 07:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jay
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Wish I had that problem I can't get hold of ours!

I can get hold of them, just can't get them to do fuck all!

I'm about to speak with the manager as i was advised a home made swing in our communal would be removed within 2 weeks. It hasn't! It also took me 8 days to get a response from the help desk.

I was late with a large payment by 3 days and they invoiced me another £40.

I want a reduction off my £1200 bill in January if they cannot stay within the contract for a service i pay through the nose for.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is it illegal to work on cars on a private road? 24 database queries in 0.0113289 seconds