corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Excel help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Excel help
Dan
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Nov 13 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Morning,

I have an excel document made which is a timesheet for employees.

At present, you have to load each person and change the final date and print individually.

I want to be able to open 1 spread sheet and merge a list of names and print all documents in one go, making it much faster.

How do i do this?

Adult GiftsClick here to vist us
Dan
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 08:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone??

Dom

18th Nov 13 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you not merge the lot into one workbook over multiple worksheets?
If you can do that then you can use VBA to change the date and print all of the worksheets in one lot.

If you can post an example of what you got and what needs doing then someone on here will help

Dan
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 13:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put all the sheets onto one book? I guess. What I could do, is put all into 1 workbook. Then have the date field on the first page.

Have the cells all linked to a master cell and change date in that.

Hmm

A2H GO

18th Nov 13 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could write some VBA which consolidates each workbook into a single workbook (or even worksheet depending on the data).

More hassle than it's worth though, you'd need to lock all the 'template' workbooks down as when someone inserts a row/column (which they will) it will likely break the run, if people are in workbooks when you do the run it won't pull the data. We have no end of problems trying to do stuff in excel that it's not designed for.
Gaz

18th Nov 13 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe going a little around the houses here but could you not mail merge the info into a word document to print off?
A2H GO

18th Nov 13 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ I thought that too, depends if you want to do anything off the back of the output. That said, could always mail merge it into a Word table and paste it back into Excel. Bit of a ball ache though.
Gaz

18th Nov 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd say it was the easiest solution to put in, and for when he isn't around someone else could pick it up easily.

[Edited on 18-11-2013 by Gaz]
Dan
Premium Member

18th Nov 13 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A mail merge wont work, as you cant mail merge excel to excel easily.

Its no where near as complicated as most of the above.

Its a template someone made which prints as a perfect a4 time sheet, with days, hours etc etc, which can then be filled in by pen.

All I really need to do is simplfy the changing date and the name. So I can print all at once, rather than individually.

I think putting them all into one book, then linking the date in all sheets, to a master sheet. I can then change the master date, which should alter all the dates.

A2H GO

18th Nov 13 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't even need to put them all in one workbook to do that, you can just link the cells to a 'date' cell in a separate workbook.
Dom

18th Nov 13 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alternatively you could stick the template on one sheet, list of names on another then use a macro/VBA to loop through the names and on each pass replace the name and date on the template and send it to the print queue - piece of piss to do and might be easier if you ever need to change the template or add extra names.

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
You don't even need to put them all in one workbook to do that, you can just link the cells to a 'date' cell in a separate workbook.

Makes it a little messy to manage plus wouldn't it still mean printing requires open each individual workbook?

[Edited on 18-11-2013 by Dom]
A2H GO

18th Nov 13 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep not ideal, much easier just putting them all in one workbook.
Dan
Premium Member

23rd Nov 13 at 18:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to update.

Sorted this. Put all worksheets into one workbook. 1st sheet has the week end date.

Linked all dates on each sheet to the master sheet date.

Now they can change one date and print the workbook. It's easy to add in new names and delete old ones.

Cheers!

New Poll