corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Retaining a personalised number plate... I'm confused

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Retaining a personalised number plate... I'm confused
kz

User status: Offline
4th Dec 13 at 08:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi so I eagerly went to the DVLA site just now as I knew the 2014 plates went up for sale. I am hoping to buy one for my girlfriend but it's not going to actually be used for many years yet... thing is, I'm now not sure this is even allowed?

New Reg says, "If you do not have a vehicle, you may hold the number on the DVLA certificate provided for up to 12 months or longer for an additional fee." so I clicked on Terms & Conditions and found more information which states, "The Certificate of Entitlement is valid for 12 months from the date of purchase and New Reg strongly advise you to assign the mark in ample time to avoid paying any additional fees. In the event that assignment is not carried out by you, the entitlement period may be extended for a further 12 months for an administration charge of £80.00 payable to The Company, which includes a £25.00 renewal fee payable to DVLA." it makes it sound like this can only be done once.

I found a third party website that says basically the same thing but does add at the end, "If for whatever reason you do not wish to have it transferred to a vehicle within the 12 months, we can extend the certificate for you for a further 12 months. The standard DVLA renewal charge of £25 will apply for each year that it is being stored and there is no limit to how many years you store the registration mark for." but that's a third party site isn't it...

Finally on DVLA's own site (which I finally got on, kept crashing!) it states you can do it for just 3 years!?

https://www.gov.uk/personalised-vehicle-registration-numbers/renewing-or-updating-your-certificate-of-entitlement

Saying you can only hold a number for 3 years, and giving different pricing. However, that's when taking one off a car... it won't even be on one! Argh, please help.
pow
Premium Member

4th Dec 13 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YOu can do it as many times as you want, you get a reminder in the post that you can extend it with
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Dec 13 at 09:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF New Reg cunts having everyone off.

Wish people would just go to the DVLA and be done with it.

You can pay as many £25 quids as you want.

Quite why you'd want to pay someone else £80 I'm not sure.
Brett
Premium Member

4th Dec 13 at 09:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crazy how much NewReg must make taking the piss
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Dec 13 at 09:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Saying you can only hold a number for 3 years

That's per every V778, ie. once it runs out you can do it again for another 3, then another 3 etc.

Or 1 at a time. Makes no odds. In fact I'd say do it yearly because if you buy 3 years and decide to assign after 1 you've lost the extra time.

Just don't forget to do it.
kz

4th Dec 13 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Okay thanks, it really is worded badly though. I managed to find something on a completely different section of the DVLA's site saying pretty much the same thing. Hopefully they'll update their main website front soon!
_Allan_

4th Dec 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had nearly the same question yesterday. The DVLA website is no better to be honest until you delve into the small print in another section. It sounds as though up to three years max but in another place say unlimited. As Ian said I would do yearly and will be doing so myself. Set it up online so you don't have to do it by post.

Newreg for some reason now are a couple of quid cheaper than the DVLA direct for the plates, even with transfer and fee's but I'd still use the DVLA website.
kz

4th Dec 13 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh well, just bit the bullet. My name is Oli, her's is Ash, and the plate is...

taylorboosh

4th Dec 13 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol thats sweet awwww
Stuart H

4th Dec 13 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by kz
Oh well, just bit the bullet. My name is Oli, her's is Ash, and the plate is...

_Allan_

4th Dec 13 at 23:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice until you break up

kz

4th Dec 13 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll cut my name off it if it comes to that!
pow
Premium Member

5th Dec 13 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aren't you the one that doesn't know if you're happy with the missus?
kz

5th Dec 13 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably! But I've been like that with every girlfriend at some stage...

I'm a bit of a prat like that.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Retaining a personalised number plate... I'm confused 23 database queries in 0.0143330 seconds