corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you ambitious?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you ambitious?
Eck
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Feb 14 at 12:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Not really. Finally have a job that pays fairly decent money, just bought a house and I own a couple of cars (granted, one is off the road and the other is a £500 barge!) live for your social life and the occasions where you can go for a few drinks, food with your mates. I'm happy enough. Can keep your portfolios and your 10 pages threads about how you won at life!

This basically.

As long as i can live comfortably, afford to have a few holidays a year and see plenty of my mates, I'm happy. Dont want for much in life, the best times you'll ever have are with your family and friends, not with some car or anything else material.

One of my mates just took a step down career wise for a better social/home life. Used to be on just over £30k, but it was a lot of shift work which included having to do a week of nights a month. His new job (in the same place of work) is about £26k a year, does 3 12hr shifts a week (mon, tues, weds) and the rest is his time. Hes much happier now.

He doesn't work in Glenrothes does he? Because thats basically me. Work 3x 12 hours for the same sort of wage and it suits me perfectly. I get bored and think about moving on but having those days at home to see my wee girl is priceless, especially at the age she is when babbling and learning to walk.
Maybe in a few years I'll look to better myself career wise, but atm I'm happy
andy1868

17th Feb 14 at 14:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

money isn't everything, i think i'm starting to get that. This is a nice little quote

At the same time, there is nothing wrong with being ambitious, the world wouldn't be the place it is today with people that were content in their surroundings!

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by andy1868]
--DAN--

17th Feb 14 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be stupidly ambitious and climbed the ladder at my company from packer on a production line to General Manager with a workforce of 1400 and weekly turnover of £6m a week within 10 years.

On the way up I was completely motivated by money and due to my wife also having a busy career I was able to commit 90hrs a week to the job and I was happy to do that. Now though I've got 2 kids under 2 and my priorities have completely changed. I want to spend much more time at home but the two don't mix so I'll be looking to drop down a step or two at some point soon to get a much better work life balance.

[Edited on 17-02-2014 by --DAN--]
kz

17th Feb 14 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My boss actually applied for a job that would have put him on level pegging with me, just because he hates bullshit meetings and paperwork so much.

I don't mind paperwork but definitely couldn't do meetings all day... such a waste of time and mind numbingly boring. Had one just before Christmas which was 2 hours long and only 10 minutes involved me. If it wasn't for the free tea and biscuits I would have had a nap.
Carl

17th Feb 14 at 21:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ash can't you live somewhere else Monday to Friday nearer the job and just see her weekends? if you are that knackered on nights I doubt its quality time?!

Im not ambitious and im pretty content. I work 4-5 mile away from where i live and I'm enjoying my job and find it fulfilling. I dont like to put myself in a position where id become a slave to a wage which does annoy my other half. I dont get point in putting financial pressure on ourselves just to have more rooms to clean etc.

John

17th Feb 14 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just leave the doors shut in the other rooms and then they don't need cleaned
A2H GO

18th Feb 14 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
Ash can't you live somewhere else Monday to Friday nearer the job and just see her weekends? if you are that knackered on nights I doubt its quality time?!

Im not ambitious and im pretty content. I work 4-5 mile away from where i live and I'm enjoying my job and find it fulfilling. I dont like to put myself in a position where id become a slave to a wage which does annoy my other half. I dont get point in putting financial pressure on ourselves just to have more rooms to clean etc.

It's not that bad really, was hard at first but after a couple of years you get used to it. It's not as uncommon as you might think, train platforms and motorways are full everyday with people doing the same thing. I know at least 4 of my close friends who travel 3-4 hours everyday for work in London, Manchester, Edinburgh etc. Are you truly ambitious if you're not willing to sacrifice anything or do whatever it takes to achieve your goals?
pow
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2.5 hours each way fuck that.

I am ambitious, not many people would be Network Managing a 4 form entry school at 24, but I never want to become a slave to work really... I want to be in control even if I am doing extra hours etc.

[Edited on 18-02-2014 by pow]
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Feb 14 at 09:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm pretty ambitious, work:life balance is a little on the work side ATM but it comes and goes with projects etc. I quite enjoy it.

Keep saying I'll be happy once we are out of this house and into something bigger/double garage/etc.

Unfortunately, I'll just want something else to work towards once that is done

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Daimo B

18th Feb 14 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Younger me, yes.
Older me, hell no

Got everything I need, the rest is material toys. The only thing I'd like is more money and less work, to see the world a lot more. Roll on mega early retirement
All Torque

18th Feb 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like to think I am. I certainly was when I worked part-time in the evenings while going to college/apprenticeship in the day, I was seriously cashed when I was early 20s and had no social life as a result. Now I've been at my current job (unloading lorries at Tesco) for 7 years and tomorrow I'm going to find out if I have a new job working for Mervin Lambert traffic management. The reasons for leaving my current job are the fact there's no way of progressing on my department despite knowing it inside out and also there's no over-time at the moment as believe it or not the company is broke
I now want to start a family with my wife, I need to bust my hump again now to save up to have a kid as when she hits maternity leave she'll have a £900 paycut
So yeah, I'm ambitious... Just got to remember to stop once in a while to enjoy what you've worked for.
James

18th Feb 14 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to be ambitious until I went contracting and realised you do less hours, deal with less bullshit and have less responsibility for twice the money.

VrsTurbo
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 07:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
I used to be ambitious until I went contracting and realised you do less hours, deal with less bullshit and have less responsibility for twice the money.

pow
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 07:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

James. At least you're honest
A2H GO

19th Feb 14 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James

I can't wait to go contracting when I have the experience. Most of my mates do it, one of them gets £500 a day as a business analyst and he has no business analyst experience whatsoever. Mainly the reason I wanted to get out of banking as the industry's made up of 99% bullshitters with made up CVs and it so frustrating when trying to get anything done and nobody's got a clue what they're doing.
mwg

19th Feb 14 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess I'm not really ambitious. Started out at a small company in the same town I still work in now. Then moved to a bigger company doing the same thing. Now I've plateaued. Some days think I should leave but really on the whole I quite like working here, get on with most people, I get paid ok and without moving out of the area there's no where else I could go to work at without having a career change.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Feb 14 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ups and downs really, I'd say most of the time I am not ambitious.
Carl

20th Feb 14 at 08:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by All Torque
I like to think I am. I certainly was when I worked part-time in the evenings while going to college/apprenticeship in the day, I was seriously cashed when I was early 20s and had no social life as a result. Now I've been at my current job (unloading lorries at Tesco) for 7 years and tomorrow I'm going to find out if I have a new job working for Mervin Lambert traffic management. The reasons for leaving my current job are the fact there's no way of progressing on my department despite knowing it inside out and also there's no over-time at the moment as believe it or not the company is broke
I now want to start a family with my wife, I need to bust my hump again now to save up to have a kid as when she hits maternity leave she'll have a £900 paycut
So yeah, I'm ambitious... Just got to remember to stop once in a while to enjoy what you've worked for.

You've spent 7 years emptying lorries, that's not ambition, that's the total opposite in my eyes.
Conway563

20th Feb 14 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have ambitions, can't think of any that are directly work related though more that I'll need to do reasonably well in a career to achieve a lot of them

[Edited on 20-02-2014 by Conway563]
12vStig

20th Feb 14 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love to think I am but the sad truth is that I'm not.

After coasting through school and uni and falling into the sort of work I'm doing now it's fair to say I'm not ambitious.

I've had 3 jobs in 12 months due to always wanting more money, but in terms of actually pushing myself I've never done it.

I actually want out of my current role, but that's more down to the fact that it is a horrible horrible place rather than any ambition on my part.
Matt L

20th Feb 14 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have started to get more amitious now which is annoying as I have spent the past few years just plodding along and not really putting any effort in to my exams which has held me back atleats 4 years now which is annoying as I could be fully qualified by now.

But now I have started to realise I need to put the effort in to get what/where I want.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you ambitious? 24 database queries in 0.0147810 seconds