corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » TV device thingy

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author TV device thingy
Brett
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Apr 14 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello

What's the cheapest device I can get that will show live TV with only an internet connection (pref ethernet but ok if not)? Not really bothered about iplayer, repeats and that kinda thing, more what's on right now but with no antenna.

Thanks
Munchie

28th Apr 14 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chromecast can display whats being played on your tablet if this helps....? Works best with an android device though
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 14:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have websites in mind for streaming?
Brett
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na, I just want normal TV? So like bbc1234, itv1234, channel4,e4,more4, etc.

I guess a device that could have TVCatchup on it would do the job?
Dom

28th Apr 14 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
I guess a device that could have TVCatchup on it would do the job?

TVCatchup (plugin) is about your only option, in which case either a PC running Windows Media Centre or something that runs a variant of XBMC - Apple TV 2, RPi, eBay Chinese Special Android Stick (MK808B, Measy U4C, CX-919) or eBay Chinese TV Box (G-Box Midnight MX2, RikomagicUSA RK3066US).

There's plenty more of the eBay specials, just search for 'TV Android'.
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bah - beaten to it (quite comprehensively) by Dom the CS Geek Daddy again.

Was gonna say TVCatchup plugin for XBMC on a Rasberry Pi.
Brett
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will an MK809II do the job?

Would've prefered a wired box mind, but oh well.
Brett
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Or is this thing ok? Looks like I can wire this which is better.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191148661592

or is this better?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161288216598

[Edited on 28-04-2014 by Brett]
Dom

28th Apr 14 at 21:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 'MX Dual Core Android 4.2 Smart TV Box XBMC 1.6Ghz 8GB Full HD 1080P Media Player' is probably the better bet out of those, although i'd personally be wanting something with 4.4 on but i know they're a fair amount more.

Do note that Android on a TV is a bit 'special' and cumbersome especially using one of these Chinese devices (can't comment on newer stuff like above, only used a cheap thing about a year ago) - it'll work but don't expect an amazing experience
Obviously having Android does allow you to either use the TVCatchUp app (completely forgot about it) or run XBMC and then the TVCatchUP plugin within that (this might offer the better experience but try both).
Brett
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 21:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, I am worried about it being a laggy piece of crap tbh. For the purpose I set out to fulfill though it'll do the job. However, I'm now thinking I want one for the living room too. Would an RPi be a better experience? We've spoke about them before so I can reference other thread for bits. Kind of just made do with the NowTV box since then tho, but it's limited what it can do in comparison.
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Apr 14 at 22:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First footage I could find of TVCatchup on an RPi in action:
http://youtu.be/9KpAbuZ_4b0?t=2m26s
Munchie

29th Apr 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a raspbery PI for sale (sitting in my house doing nothing!) with XMBC running (works superb)

Its the full kit with memory card and case
Dom

29th Apr 14 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Yeah, I am worried about it being a laggy piece of crap tbh.

My comment was aimed at using Android on a TV and 4.4 being the latest, rather than the device(s) being laggy. And the ones you've listed are better spec'd than an RPi anyway, so i'd be surprised if they were horrendously laggy to use.

As for a better experience using an RPi - for using TVCatchUp there's probably little in it and as a low-power media streamer the RPi is extremely impressive (have no real issues with mine); however, having Android instantly makes it far more versatile in terms of what you can do plus you'd have access to 4OD/Demand 5/Netflix etc, which you don't get under XBMC (therefore wouldn't using an RPi).
pow
Premium Member

29th Apr 14 at 18:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why can't you just plug an aerial in?
Brett
Premium Member

29th Apr 14 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob
First footage I could find of TVCatchup on an RPi in action:
http://youtu.be/9KpAbuZ_4b0?t=2m26s

Looks like just what I'm after, cheers
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
My comment was aimed at using Android on a TV and 4.4 being the latest, rather than the device(s) being laggy. And the ones you've listed are better spec'd than an RPi anyway, so i'd be surprised if they were horrendously laggy to use.

As for a better experience using an RPi - for using TVCatchUp there's probably little in it and as a low-power media streamer the RPi is extremely impressive (have no real issues with mine); however, having Android instantly makes it far more versatile in terms of what you can do plus you'd have access to 4OD/Demand 5/Netflix etc, which you don't get under XBMC (therefore wouldn't using an RPi).
Ah, I understand now I think for all round ease, price and versatility I'm better going for the android then, cheers Actually gonna bin off my NowTV box in the living too now.
quote:
Originally posted by pow
Why can't you just plug an aerial in?
Because it's in the garage, far too much ass ache when I have spare homeplugs to get internet in there Which is also why I preferably wanted wired, since the wifi signal isn't amazing in there.
Whittie

29th Apr 14 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just get an extension from your sky dish or actual Ariel and be done with it lol
Brett
Premium Member

29th Apr 14 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought about the Sky, but that's additional wire from dish, plus another sky box, plus I'd still need ethernet if I wanted Pay TV. For ease, I don't think I can beat an android box.
Whittie

29th Apr 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough, makes sense when you put it like that!

New Poll