corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorbike Licenses

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorbike Licenses
A1EX

User status: Offline
17th Jul 14 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know quite a few of you ride bikes on here, so im looking to come back to the UK at the end of August and I want to get my full license sorted pretty soon, I seem to remember there was a way you could take the full test without having to go up through the different categories. Also does anyone know of any good schools in the Midlands area for lessons etc
DaveyLC

17th Jul 14 at 11:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I did my test it was a simple affair.. Its a nightmare these days apparently! If I understand correctly there are three parts: Theory, Hazard avoidance test (off-road) and then finally the on-road practical..

Personally the roads are so dog-shit in the UK it takes all of the fun out of Bikes so I wouldn't bother!

[Edited on 17-07-2014 by DaveyLC]
Brett
Premium Member

17th Jul 14 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Direct access iirc
A1EX

17th Jul 14 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeh thats what it is Direct access, just wondered if anyone had any more details on it or if theyve done it themselves.
As for the roads in the Uk, I also will be out of the UK a lot so I need the license abroad also, hence why needing to get it one pretty quickly when im there
Simon_16v

17th Jul 14 at 12:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Direct access is where the test is broken down into 2 parts, module 1 and module 2.

Module 1 isn't taken on road, normally it is a DVLA testing station. You show slow speed control, emergency swerve and stop etc.

Then module 2 is pretty much like your car test, get asked questions on how you would check brake lights etc and then you go out and follow what the tester tell you to do.

If you pass you aren't restricted to the engine size of the bikes you ride.
Simon_16v

17th Jul 14 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/226645/dsa-das-guidance_notes.pdf

A pdf from the DSA on the scheme.
A1EX

17th Jul 14 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers
RichR
Premium Member

17th Jul 14 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Direct access is where the test is broken down into 2 parts, module 1 and module 2.

Module 1 isn't taken on road, normally it is a DVLA testing station. You show slow speed control, emergency swerve and stop etc.

Then module 2 is pretty much like your car test, get asked questions on how you would check brake lights etc and then you go out and follow what the tester tell you to do.

If you pass you aren't restricted to the engine size of the bikes you ride.

Kinda not right-direct access simply means that you take the mod 1 and 2 test on a bike above 500cc which after successful completion allows you to ride a bike of any capacity. Restricted test is taken on a 125 and you're restricted to 33hp or less for 2 years from passing. You'll do a mod 1 and 2 regardless of which route you take however, you can ride a 125 on L plates by yourself; a 500 on L plates has to be accompanied by an instructor.
Simon_16v

17th Jul 14 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair point, I did miss that point out.

Do it on a 500cc+ bike to make it worthwhile
A1EX

17th Jul 14 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh yeh for sure, im doing it so ill be able to ride bigger bikes here in Finland or when i go back to Thailand as theyre cracking down a little bit on licenses
gazza808

18th Jul 14 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Direct access isn't on a 500 any more.

Category A (unrestricted)

Category A unrestricted motorcycles used for tests must:

be a solo motorcycle
be at least 595cc
be at least 40kW engine power

Everyone quoting the old rules.

[Edited on 18-07-2014 by gazza808]
J100RSA

19th Jul 14 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like its hard work now to get a bike licence. i ha to ride round for half hour and do an emergency stop
Simon_16v

20th Jul 14 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gazza808
Direct access isn't on a 500 any more.

Category A (unrestricted)

Category A unrestricted motorcycles used for tests must:

be a solo motorcycle
be at least 595cc
be at least 40kW engine power

Everyone quoting the old rules.

[Edited on 18-07-2014 by gazza808]

It changes that often now that's the problem. Just glad I've got my full license

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorbike Licenses 23 database queries in 0.0118940 seconds