corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Toolbox/Tool sets

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Toolbox/Tool sets
JamesT0708

User status: Offline
20th Feb 15 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's getting to the point where I'm fed up of my tools being all over the place and everytime i'm missing something having to replace it as a single unit. I went into Halfrauds earlier and had a gander at all their tool sets but they're massively overpriced for what you get imo. They literally fill the sets with loads of s**t you don't need to make it look like you get loads for your money.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good tool kit with all the stuff that you use basically everytime you work on your car e.g. combination spanners, sockets, torx bits. I want something that's gonna last me a good few years and will have most of the things I need. I don't really have a budget as such, I just want something that's got all the stuff I need that'll last me a while. Any suggestions?
Graham88

20th Feb 15 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halfords kits have been spot on for me over the years, buy online though you'll pay half the price that you pay instore.

My kit was £90 and it has stripped cars, changed engines, gearboxes and loads of jobs
JamesT0708

20th Feb 15 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Halfords kits have been spot on for me over the years, buy online though you'll pay half the price that you pay instore.

My kit was £90 and it has stripped cars, changed engines, gearboxes and loads of jobs

That's around the price i'm looking to pay tbf mate, sounds ideal. Don't suppose you know which one it is do you? That's if they even still sell it. I do like Halfords because it's always on my doorstep if anything did go wrong with it
JamesT0708

20th Feb 15 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone's recommended this Halfords set - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=255215&productId=862463&storeId=10001

Looks alright to me, has anyone else got it?
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Feb 15 at 22:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my mate got it.

Think you'll probably get it cheaper at some point, have a search for the Halfords thread by me, some idea of price in there. They tend to go up and down as the offers come and go.

Personally I don't like having all three drives in the same kit, you end up being short on sockets. Like they tell you which handle to use, from memory the 19mm socket is a 1/2" so you're stuck with a big handle even after you've started it, the 17mm is a 3/8" so you've no option to start it larger etc.

I'd probably favour three discrete sets, some overlap but you're not going to ruin the handles or indeed your wrists using the wrong stuff.

In actual fact I favour the trays but they stopped doing the full 1/2 set and the 1/4 and 3/8 with overlap of all the sizes.

Plus you need to fill the rest of the box if you start with all those draws
JamesT0708

20th Feb 15 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Yeah my mate got it.

Think you'll probably get it cheaper at some point, have a search for the Halfords thread by me, some idea of price in there. They tend to go up and down as the offers come and go.

Personally I don't like having all three drives in the same kit, you end up being short on sockets. Like they tell you which handle to use, from memory the 19mm socket is a 1/2" so you're stuck with a big handle even after you've started it, the 17mm is a 3/8" so you've no option to start it larger etc.

I'd probably favour three discrete sets, some overlap but you're not going to ruin the handles or indeed your wrists using the wrong stuff.

In actual fact I favour the trays but they stopped doing the full 1/2 set and the 1/4 and 3/8 with overlap of all the sizes.

Plus you need to fill the rest of the box if you start with all those draws

Yeah I know exactly what you mean, that does my head in. I have those little adapter things that adapt my 3/8 ratchet to 1/4 drive for all the smaller sockets, but they're so flimsy and i've sheared my 3/8 to 1/4 drive one clean in half. I'm debating whether to buy it all separately but it works out so much more expensive, especially at Halfords. And if I went for the cheaper option and bought it all discounted off eBay I know it'll be crap and break pretty soon after I get it. I'm stuck in two minds
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Feb 15 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Halfords prices are a bit of a lottery, the trick there is to time it well and you can do OK.

Is more a versatile tool set though if you go in wanting to duplicate the sizes to give yourself options.

Regarding Ebay I've had good and bad deals. Changed my 1/2" sockets to 6 point which are Bergen branded and they've been great. But also bought a Neilsen long ratchet handle which has since failed.
JamesT0708

20th Feb 15 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The Halfords prices are a bit of a lottery, the trick there is to time it well and you can do OK.

Is more a versatile tool set though if you go in wanting to duplicate the sizes to give yourself options.

Regarding Ebay I've had good and bad deals. Changed my 1/2" sockets to 6 point which are Bergen branded and they've been great. But also bought a Neilsen long ratchet handle which has since failed.

Yeah I've had mixed experiences with eBay tools, some of them have been bang on and I still use them but i've snapped quite a few in half

I think if I bought a set i'd be fine for how I use it, and then if I needed more versatility with the sockets later on I could just buy what I needed for each ratchet. I think i'm gonna go for the set tbh, not worth the risk buying off eBay imo because I don't fancy buying twice if it did break. At least with Halfords I have a lifetime warranty and it's on my doorstep. I'll just have to keep an eye out for a good deal
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Feb 15 at 13:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Subscribe to this - I update it every time there's something of interest

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=665248

If you're on Facebook a few friends and I also have this group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/toolshareuk/
CORSA NUT

21st Feb 15 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Halfords Pro 180 piece set was only £120 at xmas...absolute bargain for what you get IMO and even if something breaks it's a lifetime warranty.

For tool chests we have CoCraft in work and there great for the money
Graham88

21st Feb 15 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe buy the Halfords toolkit you posted as your main base, then additional bits keep an eye out on eBay. You might get some decent bargains on there. 2nd hand tools are a huge market on there and still decent stuff like Bluepoint and Snapon. Although the Snapon stuff still sells for ridiculous money.

I looked at a set of ring spanners 20 - 30 in snapon 2nd hand, and they sold for more money than I got a set of 8mm to 32mm from halfords brand new. Still lifetime warranty
JamesT0708

21st Feb 15 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Went and picked the Halfords set up earlier, got it for £110 with a trade card. Not too bad considering it's usually £300. Thanks for everyone's help!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Toolbox/Tool sets 23 database queries in 0.0115950 seconds