corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Driving 'experience' day - Mallory Park or Elvington?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving 'experience' day - Mallory Park or Elvington?
jrsteeve

User status: Offline
14th Apr 15 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So I've got a voucher to use up before mid May, it's one of those where you pick two cars and and do a few laps in each. I'm in Manchester so the closest is one in Stoke, but that's basically a car park. Have any of you tried either of these two? Mallory Park looks like a small circuit, Elvington a small airstrip, but both look reasonably long enough to have a bit of a go. Which would be the one to go for?

It's this one - http://myvoucher.buyagift.co.uk/Booking?lbpromocode=10225748-BAG3377023

[Edited on 14-04-2015 by jrsteeve]
Marc

14th Apr 15 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't call Elvington a small airstrip!
jrsteeve

14th Apr 15 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ha, fair enough, does offer planes to look at too next door actually.
oJNAo
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one of these for last Christmas, I've picked a GTR and Gallardo and plan to do it in early May
random dav
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Elvington. Ace place to have a look around too.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Dave

14th Apr 15 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine at Elvington, nice straight where you can pick a bit of speed up but I'd have preferred a "proper" track. Still a good day though, think I drove 10 different cars on mine.
jrsteeve

14th Apr 15 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome cheers for that. @oJNAo, make sure the voucher hasn't expired, they don't last long!
oJNAo
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 12:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont worry mine's valid till December! Most experience gifts have a year before they expire
Ben G

14th Apr 15 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did mine at Thruxton which was awesome. Highly recommended to anybody.

I can still hear the loud bellow of that V8 F430 scuderia singing away. Such an amazing experience. Gear change's were instantaneous.

Tiff Needel? was there also drifting an M3 around.

[Edited on 14-04-2015 by Ben G]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not trying to piss on anyones chips here but i find these days annoying

i totally understand these are leased car and have to be looked after etc, but some of the instructors are really strict and its over all to quick and you dont get to push the car

i had one instructor threaten to take the F430 i was driving out of race mode if i went over the kerbs again (i did it once)

i suppose they have to cater for all levels of driving skill though as some people cant drive everyday cars let alone supercars
Ben G

14th Apr 15 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on who you get. I guess if they feel you're competent then they let you go a bit faster.
oJNAo
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 16:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
not trying to piss on anyones chips here but i find these days annoying

i totally understand these are leased car and have to be looked after etc, but some of the instructors are really strict and its over all to quick and you dont get to push the car

i had one instructor threaten to take the F430 i was driving out of race mode if i went over the kerbs again (i did it once)

i suppose they have to cater for all levels of driving skill though as some people cant drive everyday cars let alone supercars

Yeah you don't get many laps considering how much you pay for them, all good if they're surprise christmas presents though
Tiger

14th Apr 15 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gerard's at Mallory was, or maybe still is, the longest corner in British motor sport.
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

14th Apr 15 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven Mallory Park a few times, it's a fun track when you're giving it everything in a car that you're not too concerned about but I'm not sure how that would translate to an experience day. It's a short track, only 4 corners, so you may get more laps which would be a plus. The quicker you can learn the track, the more time you can spend enjoying it.
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Apr 15 at 00:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd definitely choose a track over an airfield.
Toby
Premium Member

15th Apr 15 at 07:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agree with Ian, Mallory any day of the week.
Lee_fr200

15th Apr 15 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like elvington, I'm driving the mclaren there in June
Fonz
Premium Member

17th Apr 15 at 11:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i will third what Ian said.

i have done Mallory (back when WR went to the PPC shows) and enjoyed it. it isnt a long circuit, it isnt particularly technical, but that makes it challenging as there is little to go wrong. it is also fast too.

i wouldn't chose an airfield circuit. there is one 6miles from my front door, typically there is a day the last Friday of the month and under £120....but i know the airfield its not very exciting, its a crap surface and "clipping a cone" doesn't have the same feeling as clipping the apex of a curb perfectly!
Haimsey
Premium Member

18th Apr 15 at 06:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off topic

I did a Ferrari one at rockingham, guy did few laps to gauge how i was with the car and we caught the person in front up, so out of a corner and on a straight he told me to over take.
So I did.
He then politely reminded me to remember to up shift 'because we have a 5k limit and you were just at 8k'

and what? Someone's paid for me to drive this, so I will drive it. Noise was nice though

Marcy Marc

White Sport Progress Thread

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Driving 'experience' day - Mallory Park or Elvington? 24 database queries in 0.0137701 seconds