corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just bought a B, have some questions :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought a B, have some questions :)
Oliver98

User status: Offline
16th May 15 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, as this is my first post, I'll introduce myself, I'm Oliver, 16 from Edinburgh. I bought my second car, a 2000 1.0 corsa b a couple of weeks ago and I've already started spending quite a few pounds on it

I'll put a thread up shortly but for now I had a few things to ask (cosmetic)

Firstly, tyres. I've bought some 15" astra steels for it and I want some good tyres. I've no idea what to look for though, brand or measurements. Obviously a low profile style tyre as it'll be lowered on spax rsx's all round. Just some advice on what measurements to get would even be great

I'd like some clear indicators to replace the ambers. I know that people go for mk4 astra ones but what others are out there? I've seen ones that look like corsa b originals but any help would be good. Also, where to get them and how to fit, if they aren't original

Where is the best place to buy new Arch trims, as mine are quite scraped?

Does anyone know where I could find the floor mats with the red 'vauxhall' up the side? I've heard they were discontinued but just wanting to check.

The front bumper has the v grille but I like the look of the pre/post??97 bumpers with the vauxhall badge and one grille line - half colour coded(sorry no pictures). Is there any way I can swap my v grille with that one I've described?

This question is a bit pointless I suppose, as it's to personal opinion, but I don't know whether to remove the bump strips or not? I've seen cars with and without and I really can't decide. If I did remove them, how easy is it to put them on?

So, answers would be appreciated and I'll try and get some pics up in a thread soon as
Ian
Site Administrator

16th May 15 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tyres - 195/50/15 or a 195/45/15 depending how long you want it. I personally ran 45 on mine but 50s are cheaper.

Indicators - all the ones designed for a Corsa will fit the same which is to clip in (there's a hook on one side and clip on the other - you'll see when you have the new ones in your hand).

Arch trims - scrappy, they're not really common in good condition but far cheaper than new, if you can even still get them.

Mats - possibly old dealer stock which also doe sometimes come up on Ebay - not cheap though! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Vauxhall-Vectra-Corsa-B-Astra-Cavalier-Gsi-Floor-Mats-/161628273440

Bumper - yes but its not an exact swap, you'd be better putting the whole bumper on but that will make the car look older or like its had a crash and you've changed the bumper for the wrong one. Can also debadge with an aftermarket or Opel grille.

Opel - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=649040

Aftermarket - not sure on brand - there are a few copies about - http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/7764/DSC_0399b.jpg

Bump strips - normally don't go back on because you'll damage them getting them off unless you're very lucky. Plus if the car has ever had paintwork you sometimes find they're left on and painted round which gives you an edge where they used to be.

I generally think they look better without the strips if they have skirts.

Welcome mate
Oliver98

16th May 15 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice detailed answer, cheers for that Ian.

Cost isn't really an issue for the tyres. If there a noticeable difference between 45 and 50 sidewalls? I'll try and put up some photos later on my computer, maybe people can identify the tyre.

For indicators, does that include corsa C's?

I've seen Arch trims on eBay labeled as new, but I really don't know? Pattern parts maybe?

And as for the bumper, the thing that really attracts me is the old vauxhall badge as opposed to the chrome. So many cars have debadged grilles and not many people seem to like this pre 97 half colour coded look. I don't think it will make it look old, just a bit different
ShEp

16th May 15 at 17:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally I would always go for the 195/50x15 tyres, better size, less rigid, more grip in the corners.
Corsa_Sport21

16th May 15 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks wise, 195 45s look a load better on the B. 50s just look too chunky, more so when you lower it.
Dee25790

16th May 15 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arch trims eBay I bought a set for 20 quid made the gm ones look inferior. Then heat gunned the black on the bumpers and all looked good as new.

Clear indicators corsa c gm ones would fit same shape as b but clear don't get the eBay crap they're useless. Can modify pretty much anything you like though.

Bumper you're after if pre 97 and yes you can swap them.

Bump strips are easy enough to reattach just need the 1mm double sided foam. Buy 3m stuff. Refinishing suppliers or eBay.
One thing I would say is you don't always know what condition paint you would find underneath the bump strips so weigh the risk up..

What colour is it out of interest?

I've got an Opel grille somewhere I would sell if your interested. Never fitted it to mine

[Edited on 16-05-2015 by Dee25790]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

16th May 15 at 18:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Welcome to CS mate

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Mark.W

16th May 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Avoid pattern parts such as the arches as the fit wont be very good where they meet the bumper.

You can get brand new GM arches for £16 odd each.
Dee25790

16th May 15 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mark.W
Avoid pattern parts such as the arches as the fit wont be very good where they meet the bumper.

You can get brand new GM arches for £16 odd each.

Mine have been spot on. Been on right through the winter and they wer the cheapest of all the pattern parts advertised on eBay. Slight blemish here and there if you look really close on the underneath but what can you expect for £20 from Poland. Lasted a lot longer than the gm ones haha

[Edited on 16-05-2015 by Dee25790]
oJNAo
Premium Member

16th May 15 at 21:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've got the right tools then taking the bumps strips off is an easy job, but if you haven't like myself then it's a pain in the arse

I ended up having the glue taken off when my car had a cut and polish and there's slight marks from where I tried removing it myself
Oliver98

17th May 15 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the welcome everyone. It's polar sea blue which I think is quite a nice colour. Have just decided on breaking my Saab 900 to pay for this

I will start a project thread, more likely next week as I've got an exam Tuesday, and haven't got many pics of it yet.

Bump strips I'll keep on at the moment but I'll debadge the rear as I'm hoping to machine polish it. Maybe fit some older corsa badges rather than the chrome...

There are the wheels that will be going on so any idea what tyres these are?

Oliver98

17th May 15 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=retro+rides+corsa+b+1995&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zFJYVbfsG8bpUpLpgeAP&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=360&bih=511#imgrc=XtGhD09ReAXJiM%253A%3B0vpUfF0uQ1mZ8M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi249.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fgg228%252Fphotorobo%252FSAM_0472_zps9941c990.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fretrorides.proboards.com%252Fthread%252F167332%252F1995-corsa-c16xe-converted-kent%3B800%3B600
Oliver98

17th May 15 at 09:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oliver98

17th May 15 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally worked the photos, the link is of the astra steels.
Oliver98

17th May 15 at 09:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

alan t

17th May 15 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As for tyres try scot tyre out at newbridge mate, always decent prices out there
oJNAo
Premium Member

17th May 15 at 14:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definitely a different plan to most B's these days, looking forward to seeing the thread

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Just bought a B, have some questions :) 24 database queries in 0.0139849 seconds