corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Roadside memorials

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Roadside memorials
random dav
Premium Member

User status: Offline
28th Jun 15 at 10:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats the opinion on these? There are loads over here. Saw someone today parked up in the hard shoulder and stood there looking at it ( probs a mate) and this memorial has flags and solar lights on it.

In my opinion maybe flowers for a week or so after then that should be it. Surely the person has a burial site and it would make sense to go there. Its like me leaving flowers at the hospital where my grandad died or outside my grandmothers old house. I just think its attention seeking and seems to be getting worse. (And yes I know people who have been killed in accidents)

WRLFC !

Project cars
Tiger

28th Jun 15 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it makes them look more forgotten about when you pass the spot and it's covered in dead flowers and dirty teddy bears.
Ben G

28th Jun 15 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a place near my nans where a guy on a motorbike riding too fast, hit a car with a family in, and died. All his cronies saying it's the cars fault, yet video's have been shared in his memory which are of him doing silly things like wheelies on roads with no motorbike gear on at all.

They've put up some silly banner thing and all sorts. Been there a while now. Awful looking thing.

His mates also gathered there, near a housing estate and proceeded to do burnouts and just being pricks.

Stuff like that, no, not needed. It's just anti social. Couple of flowers on a bench or lamp post is fine.

[Edited on 28-06-2015 by Ben G]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

28th Jun 15 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate was killed on the his motorbike. Flowers come up for birthdays and anniversary of the accident etc. Then one of the houses nearby takes them away after a few days.

There is also a memorial on a busy road locally. Can tell its looked after. Fresh flowers etc always there. I think that's quite nice. It happened years ago now.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
SVM 286

28th Jun 15 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
Whats the opinion on these? There are loads over here. Saw someone today parked up in the hard shoulder and stood there looking at it ( probs a mate) and this memorial has flags and solar lights on it.

In my opinion maybe flowers for a week or so after then that should be it. Surely the person has a burial site and it would make sense to go there. Its like me leaving flowers at the hospital where my grandad died or outside my grandmothers old house. I just think its attention seeking and seems to be getting worse. (And yes I know people who have been killed in accidents)

You beat me to it Dav. Your post is more or less a carbon copy of what I was considering posting recently.

They're everywhere, more than ever. I saw three on one short trip the other day and it really made me think, i.e. do the relatives/friends get any comfort from it?

Personally, I don't think i'd want to turn a desolate section of public road into a memorial for a relative or friend who'd died a sudden, painful, horrible and unwarranted premature death in horrific circumstances at that precise location.

I'd rather not think about it and never see the place again, I think. Obviously it's hard to be certain, having not been in this position.

I'm fairly sure i'd rather have somewhere nice to go though.

Maybe these people are very religious or superstitious or both and they feel that their loved one's soul is somehow attached to the location of their death and that they have to make the place nicer for them.
random dav
Premium Member

29th Jun 15 at 14:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
My mate was killed on the his motorbike. Flowers come up for birthdays and anniversary of the accident etc. Then one of the houses nearby takes them away after a few days.

On this point, do friends/relatives also leave flowers on the persons grave/burial site too?

It's good of the people nearby to move them, nothing worse than rotting flowers.

WRLFC !

Project cars
baza31

29th Jun 15 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I couldn't gaf to be fair if people feel better by doing it then It doesn't bother me to drive past. If anything am glad it's not me laying the flowers or worse been the person people are laying flowers for
DC90

30th Jun 15 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Theres a place near my nans where a guy on a motorbike riding too fast, hit a car with a family in, and died. All his cronies saying it's the cars fault, yet video's have been shared in his memory which are of him doing silly things like wheelies on roads with no motorbike gear on at all.

They've put up some silly banner thing and all sorts. Been there a while now. Awful looking thing.

His mates also gathered there, near a housing estate and proceeded to do burnouts and just being pricks.

Stuff like that, no, not needed. It's just anti social. Couple of flowers on a bench or lamp post is fine.

[Edited on 28-06-2015 by Ben G]

There was a lad here 5/6 years ago who got fucked on booze and coke, drove at silly speeds on the wrong side of the road and crashed head on into another car being driven by an elderly man and his wife. The idiot died, the elderly guy died and i think the woman ended up surviving but was critical for a long time.

All of this lads mates made a big memorial classing this moron as an "angel" and always spoke about how nice he was. The lad was a dick, always had been. Wasn't a surprise when I found out how he died, it's just a shame he took someone else with him.

The memorial was taken down by the council eventually and they all went apeshit about it.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Jun 15 at 08:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All sounds very xa0s in here
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Jun 15 at 10:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Families usually pay a lot of money to get a spot in a cemetery so why the gravestones/plaques/etc aren't used for memorials in lieu of a lamp-post of tree I really don't understand.

Then again, I've never visited the grave of anybody I know that's died - I just don't see the point, I can remember them fine enough without that.

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
I think it makes them look more forgotten about when you pass the spot and it's covered in dead flowers and dirty teddy bears.

Dirty Teddy Bears sums it up nicely, these road-side things never look nice more than half an hour after they've been placed.

Maybe one counter argument is that when you're bombing along and you see some flowers or a scabby furby on a wall - maybe it makes you slow down a bit and respect that bit of road a little more.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Neo

30th Jun 15 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
...maybe it makes you slow down a bit and respect that bit of road a little more.

This was always my understanding. Obviously you get exceptions though
JonnyJ

30th Jun 15 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At what level of miserable do you have to be in your life to get annoyed at roadside memorials?
ed

30th Jun 15 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When you have to walk past a pile of rotting flowers, flapping plastic and muddy teddybears every day it does get a bit depressing. I don't know if they're trying to make an ironic statement on the fragility of life by letting the flowers wilt, die and rot on the roadside but it sure as hell is the most depressing way to remember a loved one.

[Edited on 30-06-2015 by ed]
Steve
Premium Member

30th Jun 15 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its done for the facebook likes, basically when noone cares about it on FB anymore then the tributes get forgotten
JonnyJ

30th Jun 15 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Its done for the facebook likes, basically when noone cares about it on FB anymore then the tributes get forgotten

Steve, mate, if you're going to troll, its best to at least have an element of truth to it, as thats what winds people up, otherwise you just look stupid.
Steve
Premium Member

30th Jun 15 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm cool with looking stupid
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

30th Jun 15 at 13:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We thought so.
random dav
Premium Member

1st Jul 15 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
...maybe it makes you slow down a bit and respect that bit of road a little more.

Its got to the point here where it doesnt make a difference there is so many.

WRLFC !

Project cars
Generation

1st Jul 15 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even worse when people start saying shit like "they're with the angels now" despite not being at all religious, or "gone to a better place.

Belong with the dickheads that have religious tattoos IMO
gavin18787
Premium Member

2nd Jul 15 at 13:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:

Same

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
nathy_87

2nd Jul 15 at 13:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My old school mate has one where he got knocked off his motorcycle, it's sad to see it, but I suppose it's just a nice suggestion on behalf of the family and it's always got fresh flowers there.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Roadside memorials 24 database queries in 0.0192211 seconds