corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How long have you been in the same job?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How long have you been in the same job?
Ian W

User status: Offline
11th Jun 15 at 07:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
9.5 Years, role has changed quite a bit in that time.

Would only really move for something that was much closer to home, 9.5 years of 70 miles a day does get me down

That was my main driver; I went from a 70mile round trip commute plus travelling all over the country clocking about 30,000miles per year to now doing 6miles each way. Get way more time at home, saving a small fortune on fuel and car costs - cutting all the miles is one of the best things I've ever done.

Luckily mine is just the commute but it's an easy drive - all motorway. Start at 8am, finish at 4pm and home before 5 Only bothers me when there is a traffic issue and it takes me hours but that doesn't seem to happen as regularly as it used to

In theory, once the new Mersey crossing is completed it should make it even easier.

[Edited on 11-06-2015 by Ian W]
Ellis

11th Jun 15 at 07:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
4 months for me. Was made redundant from a job I loved at the start of the year. Now doing something I don't enjoy quite as much, if at all.

Oil industry is a grim place to work at the moment. Considering a move to an alternative engineering type industry but would be difficult to match the salary.

Wind is where it's at, depending what you do?

I was an engineer at a windfarm cable installation contractor until the tail end of last year. Company closed and made 200 redundant. Presume you're working in wind power just now then?

You're right though, it's the place to be at the moment, real growth industry and not so long in the tooth like oil & gash. Many of the jobs seem to be on the continent now like Belgium and Netherlands.
thomson

11th Jun 15 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ten years at mine
ShEp

11th Jun 15 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ShEp
quote:
4 months for me. Was made redundant from a job I loved at the start of the year. Now doing something I don't enjoy quite as much, if at all.

Oil industry is a grim place to work at the moment. Considering a move to an alternative engineering type industry but would be difficult to match the salary.

Wind is where it's at, depending what you do?

I was an engineer at a windfarm cable installation contractor until the tail end of last year. Company closed and made 200 redundant. Presume you're working in wind power just now then?

You're right though, it's the place to be at the moment, real growth industry and not so long in the tooth like oil & gash. Many of the jobs seem to be on the continent now like Belgium and Netherlands.

Nah back in the motor trade at management level, gave up on the welding carry on, too much time off

Plenty jobs going up this direction with wind energy companies, sure there was some on indeed
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

11th Jun 15 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10.5 years

need to leave soon
Y869 SRA

11th Jun 15 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Too fucking long!
ed

11th Jun 15 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
I'm currently on a course with a guy that's been employed in the same company for 40 years

40 years, fuck that!

Friend of mine is at JLR in Castle Brom - he says there people there who have done a similar innings, standing in the same spot. The only thing that's changed are the cars going past on the line.
Andrew

14th Jun 15 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Current place almost 2 years. Last place 7 years.
Doing pretty much the same thing.

I'm not planning on moving anywhere at the moment unless i'm offered a bit more money.
JM_16v

14th Jun 15 at 12:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 months, moved to change projects within same industry and to get a bit more money
Baskey

14th Jun 15 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

6 years in the same company but had 3 different jobs.

Won't leave for a while as my staff mortgage is so cheap.
Generation

14th Jun 15 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 years, quit on Thursday.
Feel great
kz

14th Jun 15 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

5 years.

75% of the time my average day is pretty easy, get on with everyone around me. 15 minute drive to work and I'm home by 16:30 every day... pretty secure (NHS) so don't see me leaving any time soon as want to apply for a mortgage next year! Still got another £7,000 worth of increments before I'm at the top of my band, so if I'm ever going to reconsider, it'll be after then.
MELV14

15th Jun 15 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nearly 11 years currently but that's 4 different promotions. Prior to that was 5 years and 3 or 4 different roles.
gazza808

17th Jun 15 at 03:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

10 years come September,
It's becoming a means to a end though,

Fed up of travelling and being away especially with the mrs, little one and dog at home!
Toby
Premium Member

18th Jun 15 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been with the company 7 years in total since leaving college. Had 5 different roles. Whilst there are prospects I will stay. If an opportunity that comes up I will go.
thomson

21st Aug 15 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One day
antnee

21st Aug 15 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been in my current job since March, last job I was there for just over 18 months.

My new job is miles better, much better support, really good work environment and can really see a career progression here too. Plus I get to see designs of vehicles coming out in 3 or 4 years time
Ronson

21st Aug 15 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 years 4 months love it, best job ever don't want to leave but sadly I'll have to as the money isn't bad but I could easily earn more.

And for those whinging about the amount of driving they do, I did 253 miles today, 250-ish yesterday add the rest of the week and it'll be over 1000 miles this week and that's average! (not including any driving I do in my car)

Drayman is the best job ever, some of the barmaids are super fucking sexy too!

[Edited on 21-08-2015 by Ronson]
Graeme
Premium Member

22nd Aug 15 at 13:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nearly 12 years in the paint trade. Was with the last employer for about 5 years.

He was a twat and only the decent money kept me there. Started my own valeting/detailing company part time a few years ago, they didn't like it and even said I wasent allowed to do it but just told them to show me why and where in the contract it said that!
They couldn't and one thing led to another, I got annoyed about a few things including not being paid for a few jobs so about 6 months ago I said sod it and went full time self employed.

Not as good money but so much more happy. Best thing working for my self. Could always be busier but trying to build it up and don't mind doing a good amount of hours.

Hopefully this will be for the future! :-)

GM VALETING btw

[Edited on 22-08-2015 by Graeme]
Nic Barnes

22nd Aug 15 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1 year 7 months now in current job. It's great.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » How long have you been in the same job? 23 database queries in 0.0152271 seconds